• Register Today It's free!

1st Road Trip

OneFast440

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited
We got our 2011 Limited Explorer July 12th and have been very happy with our purchase. We went on our 1st camping trip with it and only ran into some small issues. The 1st one is that when we camp my wife seems to bring the entire house with us, so needless to say the back of the Explorer was stuffed (had the 3rd row folded down). Stuffed so much that the 3rd row seat switch was accidentally pressed by our supplies. The seat tried to raise and never gave up, I hope nothing happened to the motor. I finally got it to stop and moved our supplies away from the switch. I wish there was a cover or off position on those switches. Our only other problem we noticed was if you gave the car full throttle (to get on the freeway) we notices that A/C got much warmer. We live in Arizona so A/C is very much needed. Once we let off the throttle. The A/C cooled back down. This seemed very odd to me because A/C usually works better when the engine is at higher RPMs. Besides those two issues everything else went smoothly. I love how the engine will down shift and hold your speed down hills. The Explorer handles very well around corners and the ride was incredibly smooth. We had our MFT updated to 2.11 and had no issues the entire trip. Everything loaded quickly and we could navigate around the system just fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good suggestion for a "button cover". Two times i've bumped the switch and have had the seats try to go from level to upright. They stall and cause me to unload everything to get them to reset. IMO auto 3rd row is a p.i.t.a.

Our only other problem we noticed was if you gave the car full throttle (to get on the freeway) we notices that A/C got much warmer.

Most, if not all cars, do that. I am not sure the reason. The voices on the internet say it is to reduce drag on the engine and provide more power when requested in a full-throttle situation.

In other words, it is completely normal :)

As for the button cover, or a cut-off switch, I think that is a great idea.

Most, if not all cars, do that. I am not sure the reason. The voices on the internet say it is to reduce drag on the engine and provide more power when requested in a full-throttle situation.

In other words, it is completely normal :)

As for the button cover, or a cut-off switch, I think that is a great idea.

Yeah, every vehicle I have ever been in does that. Putting load on the engine to accelerate will rarely do it, but putting heavy load puts it into kind of an "emergency acceleration" mode where it gives you as much power as it can offer. From 10 seconds of searching in Google I found tons of results from every vehicle manufacturer, all the same final answer:
"There is a WOT (wide open throttle) relay under the hood that disconnects the compressor clutch when you get near WOT. It allows the vehicle to have more acceleration when needed."

Some mentioned it is to keep the AC from having to keep up with 6000+RPM, but who knows. The main thing is that it is normal.

Good to hear! I guess I had never noticed it in my 2005 Toyota Tacoma.

Back