15x10s making brakes slip/abs problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

15x10s making brakes slip/abs problem

01Rockstar

I have noticed ever since I put my bigger tires on that when I stop at slow speeds sometimes and really press on the brake, The brakes feel like they are slipping I can feel it in the pedal. I couldnt find anything wrong with my brakes. Called a shop they say it is normal that it is the abs system and it will continue as long as i have the bigger tires. Has anyone had this happen to them before? midnightrebel07 suggested clean the abs sensor and check the hub assembly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, larger tires make brakes less effective - its a "torque" issue. This is also true for your ABS system, it will become less and less effective as you upsize in tire. A larger tire is equivalent to slapping on smaller rotors from the brake system's perspective.

Yes, my ABS activates sometimes when I brake at slow speed.

you need to calibrate the x for the larger tires to stop the abs from coming on, i would also suggest upgrading the rubber brake hoses to stainless steel ones it will help out greatly and the peddle will not feel so soft.

rockstar- i notice you went from 32s to 33s, i ran 32s for years on my x without a problem as soon as i put on 33s the abs would kick on all the time, i finally got an xcal and tuned for 33s and everything was fixed

On know over on therangerstation they have a tire calculator to figure that out. I'll try and find a link and post it.

maybe I'm missing it because I am looking at it on my android. But I dont see anything about the abs system problem. Guide the blind please. haha. Still abs problem at low speed and brakes squealing.

Have you tried cleaning the abs sensors at the wheels could have some grease on them causing this issue

Pull the ABS fuse and take it for a spin. If the brakes still feels the same way, then its not the ABS system.

Its been a few days since I have been on here. Still havent figured out how to fix the problem. Still doing it abs light still hasnt came on.

have you tried asking someone at a les schwab or some other wheel shop? whenever i have a question like that or on audio stuff ill just walk into a best buy install center or a les schwab and start asking. those guys love sharing their knowledge. its like going to a vintage record shop and asking the workers who's their favorite guitarist. those guys love to share, and most times they will share their knowledge free of cost!

Fixed the problem it was a speed sensor out of line. I guess it was from the new front rotors. Thanks fellas

Back