Putting on FX4 decals..placement question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Putting on FX4 decals..placement question

FloridaState

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4x4
So I bought some of the Ford "FX4 OFF ROAD" stickers seen on the newer F-150's and such and I have a question. I have a pinstripe on the side, I really don't feel like taking it off, but if I don't, the FX4 sticker will go over the gas cap opening a tiny bit....so I was wondering if I could just put the decal on and use an exacto-knife or a razor blade and cut along where the seam for the gas cap opens. So it would have somewhat of a "break" in the decal, but I wouldn't think it'd be that noticeable when the cap is closed.

If anyone has any ideas or insight on this, please let me know! I love the looks of these and I'm getting antsy wanting to put them on. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cut a gap in the pinstripe.

Cut a gap in the pinstripe.

I thought of that as well. You think it would look right? And I was worried that where I stop taking off the pinstripe, it will lift over time and begin to peel the rest off. Plus, I don't have access to a heat gun at the moment...you think a plain old hair dryer would suffice? Or is there some chemical or product I should use in lieu of heat?

I think it would look the most stock, as if the pinstripe and decal were meant to be together. I don't know about peeling, and do you really need a heat gun? I took a pinstripe off a ranger once and it just came right off. If there's residue left behind, try goo-gone.

Took your advice...looks awesome! I just peeled off the pinstripe with my finger and sliced a diagonal slit in the stripe....stuck those bad boys on there and finished product:

2011-08-02151826.jpg

2011-08-02151842.jpg

I know...she needs a bath pretty bad, but those two patches look sexy. :D

:thumbsup:

Kewel!!!

Thanks guys! I really like it.

Back