Hurculining my cladding!

Blake A

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, Alabama / Searcy, Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4x4
Well here goes!
I'm gonna go ahead and start my documentation since i just got my rear bumper off.. I'll work on the side cladding tomorrow and my Hurculiner kit should come in to Ace in the morning. Im pretty excited :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:popcorn::wavey:

Subscribing as well. I wanna see how it turns out as I am wanting to do this as well. Take a lot of pictures and document every step please!!! :)

Just be careful you don't herculiner your hootus!

Dang, I wanted to be the first to do this :p Im subbed and have my finger on the refresh button!

I'm working on fixing my rear bumper right now. It has several cracks and deep cuts on the lower part of it. I'm bonding the cracks back together and filling the gashes with Gorilla glue and sanding it down. I'm almost done and I'm pretty happy with my handy work so far.
I just got the call that my kit is in so i'll trek across town here in a little while to pick it up.

Dang, I wanted to be the first to do this :p Im subbed and have my finger on the refresh button!

I've been around a while, there are others who have done this with different levels of success.

Honestly I don't see the point of herculining the plastic cladding, the first time you hit a rock or something it's gonna chip off from the clading flexing and popping back out. Just my thoughts but still waiting to see results.

That's why I just painted mine with rattle can, when they get scuffed up or hit a rock, etc.. chicka, chicka, chicka--- spshiiiiiiii... good as new.

I plan on making rock sliders/ steps for mine though to protect the body.

I was worried about that too but it promises it wont chip and it flexes with the plastic so its not a major problem.
But if it does chip it will bond to itself unlike rhino lining or line-x.
I wanted some thing different because the spray painted cladding looks, well, spray painted.. Doesn't quite do it for me.

Ok, I've seen trucks rhino lined and herculined before but not on the plastic cladding so hopefully it works out for you.

it promises it wont chip and it flexes with the plastic

I've seen lots of failed promises. I hope this is one of those promises that are kept.

Watching this modification. Will really be interested to see an update on this in a couple months.

I brought my step bars home from my parents' now that I have room for storage and have thought about putting them back on but they don't match the rest of the truck now because they're still grey. I have seen spray paint fail on them more than the cladding. I really need them back on though because I have a gravel driveway, about 1/4 mi. long and it's taking a toll on my paint (cladding looks fine, actually).

IT'S HERE!

cd4683d0.jpg

I was amazed at the amount of mud that fell out when i took it all off.

3897fe77.jpg

a67acea3.jpg

Rollin' a little redneck with my plate taped to the window.

60e0edf7.jpg

That's how we do it down here in Alabama. Can't wait to see the results!!

Work is kinda slow but i should get stared on the actual painting tomorrow.
I did all the prep work today and finished molding my bumper back together.

2d81a64e.jpg

fe2660a0.jpg

497efdbe.jpg

I'm doing the radio bezel too. I had to pick up a new one because my mounts broke on the old one.

9da57169.jpg

Just a thought- I saw an ST today with his rear bumper cover removed, the inner frame painted, and tube formed around it. It looked pretty cool. I'm sure someone on here has done it, but just thought of it on this thread...

I halfway like the look without the plastic but the gaps and holes all along the side keep me from leaving them off.
I've always wanted my vehicles to look neat and well put together.

I've started hardening the gorilla glue with clear super glue, filling in the little bubbles and making a hard shell over the bad spots. Just thought of this a few minutes ago and had to get up and do it real quick.

i hope you know that the repair you did to the bumper will not hold, the slightest nudge on it will make it crack again. you will have to use a plastic welder to get it done correctly. just saying!! hate to see all that work done and the crack comes back

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a fear of that too but after sealing everything up, ive banged on it and twisted it by hand and it never gave. I know it wont hold forever but maybe it will till i get a new one. This was just my cheap fix.

Back