Solved - 1993 Ford Explorer XLT Temperature Gauge Dead | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1993 Ford Explorer XLT Temperature Gauge Dead

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

jasonexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Montclair NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer 4dr
Hello all,

My temperature gauge is dead. I got the car like 8 months ago and it hasn't worked from the start. She runs fine, no problems and the heat works good too, just the temp gauge is dead.

Do I just need a new coolant temperature sensor?

Any thoughts.

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, but you need to replace the coolant "sender" on the right side of engine. There is also a coolant temp sensor, so do not confuse the two.

The single wire one is for the gauge. The 2 wire temp sensor is for the computer.

~Mark

28331-3.jpg

Yes, the one that looks like this

The single wire on is for the gauge. The 2 wire temp sensor is for the computer.

~Mark

Thanks, I'm still new to mechanics, so I don't understand, I'm gonna check my Haynes Repair Manual to see if I can figure it out and do some homework.

Ordered, 16 bucks with shipping, not bad.

ok on My 93 the temp sender looks like the one pictured abaove, with a small threaded type stud for a wire connector to slide onto

Here is one from a later model. Although the connector is different, yours is still in the same location

Attachments

• Temp sender.jpg
    Temp sender.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 2,053

ok on My 93 the temp sender looks like the one pictured abaove, with a small threaded type stud for a wire connector to slide onto

Here is one from a later model. Although the connector is different, yours is still in the same location

Thanks Turdle for the picture, big help. Using my original picture, I put a new arrow of where I think your pointing too. I think this location is it, or somewhere around this area. I'll get a better picture tonight.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is a bare manifold. I have too much junk

Red arrow is ECT sensor. It helps the pcm calculate fuel ratio. This is not the problem sensor.

Green is Coolant sender, which is the gauge sender. This is the one you want

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 3,122

Here is my engine. I have a different looking cable to the sender, as I am using an aftermarket gauge. These will show you where your sender is though.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 2,850
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 2,026

Here is a bare manifold. I have too much junk

Red arrow is ECT sensor. It helps the pcm calculate fuel ratio. This is not the problem sensor.

Green is Coolant sender, which is the gauge sender. This is the one you want

Nice :D

Thanks for this thread guys... it's helped me out a lot in understanding where the temp sensor is at.

I changed the temperature sender a few weeks ago, I needed a deep socket 18mm (i think) to get it. Quite a bit of coolant came out, but temperature gauge still not working, battery level gauge also dead. Maybe I need a whole new gauge cluster?? or perhaps try to replace the other component, the temperature "sensor"?

I might be in the same boat here soon... i am about to replace my "sender" to see if it fixes it... hopefully i'll have good news :O

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before you throw money at the sending unit, you should make sure the gauge and the wireing for it are working.

Its an easy test. Just take the single wire that goes to the sending unit and ground it. If the gauge and wiring is good it will peg the gauge. If it doesn't move you have other issues to fix before you change the sending unit.

~Mark

Back