Go Thru Car Wash or Wash by Hand? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Go Thru Car Wash or Wash by Hand?

DDF

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
I hate washing my car by hand, but what about car wash scratches? What do you do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

car wash.
I will hand wash in the fall, but the temp is 107 and humid.

I hand wash except in the winter because 1) it's too damn cold and 2) the drive-thru sprays underneath. I go to a brushless drive-thru.

I hand wash except in the winter because 1) it's too damn cold and 2) the drive-thru sprays underneath. I go to a brushless drive-thru.

So I've read on here about car washes and how "bad" they are for your vehicle. Are people talking about the car washes that use brushes and the brushless or just the ones with brushes? We have a brushless one in town that I use. The only thing I don't like is the wax they have leaves spots. Other than that, it seems to do an ok job.

I have 4 cars. My Limited goes to the car wash (as much as 2-3 times per week). My wife's Mercedes goes through the car wash (maybe every other week). My 2 Porsches get hand washed, by me, about every 3-4 weeks (only driven on weekends, no rain, stored in heated garage from late fall to early spring). I have all I can do to keep my 2 toys hand detailed.

I do clean my Limited's windows, apply leather conditioner, vacuum, and I waxed it with RejeX when brand new. My truck is spotless.

Along the same lines, does the tri-coat provide any better protection?

Though I still used the automated car wash to get salt spray off the car (live in Hawaii) there is nothing better than hand washing. If your going to "invest" in a 50k new car and don't want to wash it get someone else to do it. Keeping the car washed and waxed, clean interior and not smoking in it is the best way to keep it running and looking well. The rule in my house is if you drop the sponge used to wash you don't use it on the body again, wheels are ok.

Most people have no idea how bad cigarette smoke is on electronics.

I may be **** about the cleanness of my cars but it drives me nuts to see a trashed brand new car.

Hands down the worst thing you can possibly do is use the brush in the "self serve" car washes on your body as they are never changed and full of dirt from every 4X4 getting mud cleaned off after a good day of wheeling.

absolutely not related. Tri-coat is the base color, most common scratches are on your clear coat. Unless your clear coat is gone, you can't physically scratch the base color.

Back