Joining the Club - Just Bought a 2001 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joining the Club - Just Bought a 2001 Sport Trac

Curse The Sky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4WD
Hey guys :)

I just got home after buying a 2001 Sport Trac 4WD, Island Blue Metallic, 130k miles.

Overall it's in really good shape. The interior is perfect, the exterior has a few paint chips and some bubbling on the roof, but no dents or anything major. Underneath is very clean except for some rust starting behind the rear leaf spring mounts, which is fairly normal here in Connecticut.

I paid $4800. It needs a little work - tires, rear shocks, AC recharge, oil pressure sending unit, possibly brakes, etc. but overall is in really good shape. The seller had ball joints and alignment done within the past year or so, which he had a receipt for. The engine ran really strong, though there's a very VERY slight coolant leak from the thermostat, and the transmission shifts like butter. The owner literally handed us the keys and had us take it for an unsupervised spin on the highway. He said he has nothing to hide, and I believe it.

What really makes it worth it (to me, anyway) is the options this thing came with:

- Remotes / keyless entry pad
- Power driver's seat
- Overhead console w/ compass and outside temperature
- Fog lamps
- Side step bars
- 6-disc CD changer + Pioneer Sound System
- Locking Tonneau Cover
- Power moonroof

It basically has everything except for leather, and considering how many trucks I've looked at in the past few days that had ripped or cracked leather interiors, I'm kind of glad for that. It's missing the bed extender, but I should be able to pick one up on Craigslist for $150 or less. What I'm really interested in is the rear axle. I didn't have the axle codes with me when I picked it up, and it's currently parked at a campground awaiting to be towed here, so I haven't had a chance to look it up. Here's to hoping for limited slip. :thumbsup:

Anyway, figured I'd say hi. I don't have any mods planned yet, but I probably will do a few here and there. I've been tempted to do some stuff to my Fusion, but being so new I'm a bit squeamish. Now I have something to tinker with that I won't have to worry as much about. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No pics yet, probably tomorrow. :)

Gah! Why must I work 'til 5? Maybe I can get out early for "mental health?" ;)

Edit: one of the key fobs that I was given has a busted button. I'm going to pick a new one up from Amazon or somewhere similar. Any quick guides on how to program it? Also, how do I program the keyless entry pad on the outside?

Welcome!

You stole it! Welcome!

Welcome to the site! You'll love it here! haha :)

Welcome to the site.

Always come here first before ging to a garage to get repairs done or figure out what might be wrong before you waste your time and money at a garage.

There's always someone on here to help out.

No pics yet, probably tomorrow. :)

Gah! Why must I work 'til 5? Maybe I can get out early for "mental health?" ;)

Edit: one of the key fobs that I was given has a busted button. I'm going to pick a new one up from Amazon or somewhere similar. Any quick guides on how to program it? Also, how do I program the keyless entry pad on the outside?

Do a search. There some great write ups on both subjects. I used one to add a code to my son's Sport. I would link but I'm not sure how.

The rearend code is on the door panel tag sticker.

Welcome, you're gonna love this site. Can't wait to see pictures!

Axle code - 42. Oh well.

Sorry guys, still no pics yet. I've been ridiculously busy. :( However, tomorrow is Saturday, which means that I don't have any excuse NOT to deliver pics. ;)

Problems I've found so far:
- Coolant leak from the thermostat
- Oil pressure gauge sits at nothing for a while, then will randomly jump up to normal
- Drive's side door doesn't unlock via key fob or turning the key in it, but will unlock / open no problem when the handle is pulled from the inside
- Brake pedal feels firm, but stopping power leaves a lot to be desired
- I can't figure out how to lock the tail gate

Still overjoyed with the purchase. :)

,y axle code is 42 as well what does it mean and what fluid do i use to chang it

welcome! you should be hoping for an open diff so you can throw on some aussie lockers like i just did! as long as the engine is strong, all of the problems you mentioned can be relatively fixed with the help of the forum. you should check craigslist for a bed extender, i found mine on there for 50 bucks and talked the guy down to 35. just stay vigilant and keep checking. good luck!

Back