3rd Row Power Button cover / disable switch needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Row Power Button cover / disable switch needed

jk60543

Reaction score
City, State
Oswego, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited Kona Blue
I sure wish Ford had installed a switch that disables the 3rd row seat control.

I had ours packed for a trip and when I was moving an item it bumped the seat controls and caused the seat to try and fold up on the cargo.

Not a happy situation!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's funny- I was thinking exactly the same thing last weekend. We were on our way to the lake and I had a car full of family plus 2 friends for the kids. The third row driver's side seat was flat for storage and filled with stuff, including a cooler full of food. We stopped on the way to fill two 5-gallon gas cans for the boat. As I was wiggling the second can into position, something bumped the seat switch and everything started to move. You can imagine the brief, "Oh, #$%@!" moment when I thought the gas can was going to get folded onto the kid sitting in the third row seat. Fortunately, the resistance sensor stopped the process but I was thinking two things:
1) Those switches need to be recessed and/or relocated. I've bumped them before.
2) I would like a master on/off switch for them.
And a third thing pops into mind: If those switches were moved, maybe they could have a storage bin with a door in that panel- that would be GREAT!

I've only accidentally hit the button once and luckily there wasn't anything in it's path. Is there a way to stop them quickly if the button is bumped?

I have also bumped this switch with items I had in the back. The big problem is that the seats never give up trying to move into position even if they can't. If the button was pressed while I am driving I am almost sure that it will hurt the motors.

I wish there was some sort of cover or OFF switch for this as well.

I have also bumped this switch with items I had in the back. The big problem is that the seats never give up trying to move into position even if they can't. If the button was pressed while I am driving I am almost sure that it will hurt the motors.

I wish there was some sort of cover or OFF switch for this as well.

Anyone have powerfold 3rd row seats in another car or know anyone that does? If so, have they ever been activated by stuff touching them?

Where are these buttons located in other cars that have a third row? Are the buttons covered? Is there a master on/off switch?

I've only accidentally hit the button once and luckily there wasn't anything in it's path. Is there a way to stop them quickly if the button is bumped?

yes, I believe so. I had this happen to me as well, and I cant remember what I pressed but I got them to stop. I think it was the button to restow the seats or else it was just pressing the fold button again.

They should have put a disable button in the front somewhere or at least a "try to fold limit" in the programing. Being electric motors fold the seats there is most likely a fuse that could be pulled as long as other stuff isn't on the same circuit.

The seats do have some sort of resistance sensor to prevent damage during folding.

The seats do have some sort of resistance sensor to prevent damage during folding.

Yes, but would the sensor be sensitive enough to avoid accidental damage to my jauntily delightful goose topiary or irreplaceable velvet Elvis portraiture?

These are the questions that must be answered! :D

ROFLOL!!!!!

I'd suggest we start testing with the velvet devil on the toilet before risking the Elvis...

And I thought the goose topiary was just an Ohio thing.

Don't hurt the Elvis OMG!

Nevermind- I was wrong with what I said in the post that was right in this very spot originally--- so I edited the heck out of it.

:)

ROFLOL!!!!!

I'd suggest we start testing with the velvet devil on the toilet before risking the Elvis...

And I thought the goose topiary was just an Ohio thing.

Holy cow! What in the heck is a velvet devil on the toilet.... Google search initiated.....

LMAO!!! What a bizarre thing.

The goose topiary is standard fair at all of the finest English Manors and French Provincial Palaces, and including Ohio it appears.

As for the seat folding buttons, the owner's manual states that the middle button position "BOTH" is for folding and unfolding both third row seats at the same time. If your button is in the middle position and your seats no longer fold or return to the normal position, I think that might indicate a problem with your seats.

:bsnicker:

Sometimes, I should listen to that little nagging thought in the back of my head telling me to shut up. :) Thanks for the reminder. I guess we are back to square one.

But wait! WE have some new information! Someone on eBay will let you commission your own "Black Velvet Masterpiece"!!!!!!! http://stores.ebay.com/Black-Velvet-Paintings

Agreed

I had a few things in the back with my dog and my weathertech cargo liner down and accidentally knocked the button, seats tried going up, stuff shifting and dog scared as hell = very bad situation.... pretty sure I damaged the motors to some degree....

Why not pull the fuse...til we find a more permanent solution. I mean we don't want to those doggies getting folded up now.

A question for an EE types out there- could the solution be as easy as pulling wires for the middle-position of the seat selector switch? If we could disable any function when the switch is in the "Both" position I'd be content. Taking the time to rock that switch would be worth the peace of mind over accidental squashings.

Anyone have powerfold 3rd row seats in another car or know anyone that does? If so, have they ever been activated by stuff touching them?

Where are these buttons located in other cars that have a third row? Are the buttons covered? Is there a master on/off switch?
My 2009 has power fold 3rd row but the buttons have to be held until they reach the folded / unfolded position. I've never had an issue with them being bumped accidentally.

I've on several occasions bumped the buttons on my 2011 with lots of stuff in the back. A few times I've been lucky enough that the weight was enough that the seat only move a little and then returned to the stowed position. Other times I had to take everything out to correct the problem. Not recessing the buttons seems like an oversight to me.

When I took delivery of my Limited Aug 3 the right seat in the 3rd row was not in a finished position, neither fully stowed, folded or normal. After a couple cycles of the seat it moved back into position. Upon inspection the salesman and I could determine that while the seats were stowed someone had tried to return them to normal. Problem is the accessory inflator pack had been left on the stowed seat. It wedged between the seat as it attempted to fold and messed things up. The carpeted backing panel tore from its mounting clips and the leather pulled from the top of the seat back.

I've been waiting a week for the parts to come in for the repair.

Do not let your seats fold up on something and someone please come up with an override on the switches!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Umbrella no more

Seats squished it on 2011 explorer - couldn't stop them in time.

I have find if they are stopped before closing, the open button just continues to close the seats.

Be very careful when putting anything into the vechicle not to touch the side. My older kid almost squished most of our groceries one day when he put his hockey bag in. I had to stop the seats manually. I can only imagine a small kid in the 3rd row panicking when they close by accident.

Not sure if sync is integrated into these seats but if so an override there would be a good idea. If not then this could be a serious safety issue.

Back