SatNav and trees, what a nightmare | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SatNav and trees, what a nightmare

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As many have pointed out, the map Ford uses is very outdated and bad, not simply old, but bad, and gives you wrong locations. This is definitely a safety issue and someone dependent on this GPS will end up in a bad location and get hurt, eventually. Ford should really do something about this, quick. Just imagine an indpendent GPS will do this, they will be out of business in no time.

Alternatively, some X owners report their GPS are spot on. May be MFT is interfering with the GPS and cause all the inconsistency.

As many have pointed out, the map Ford uses is very outdated and bad, not simply old, but bad, and gives you wrong locations. This is definitely a safety issue and someone dependent on this GPS will end up in a bad location and get hurt, eventually. Ford should really do something about this, quick. Just imagine an indpendent GPS will do this, they will be out of business in no time.

Alternatively, some X owners report their GPS are spot on. May be MFT is interfering with the GPS and cause all the inconsistency.

More likely some areas have better individual address location information than others.

I have 8 1/2 acres and I have a narrow right of way piece of property for a driveway that was never built. The GPS puts me there, but it is 4 houses and about 800 feet from my actual driveway.

Im interested to see the IVT response on this.....

I noticed when several other posts had asked about the inaccurate map geodata and inaccurate GPS positioning the silence was deafening.

Im interested to see the IVT response on this.....

I noticed when several other posts had asked about the inaccurate map geodata and inaccurate GPS positioning the silence was deafening.

Just had an experience here on Long Island when we went to pick up our niece at the airport for her summer visit. Part of the road on the way to the airport was changed well over 2 yrs ago to a new road which was west of the old one. The GPS was totally lost....:rolleyes:

So we got 2yr old maps at least?? Shouldn't they be fairly current?

Just had an experience here on Long Island when we went to pick up our niece at the airport for her summer visit. Part of the road on the way to the airport was changed well over 2 yrs ago to a new road which was west of the old one. The GPS was totally lost....:rolleyes:

I guess it depends. Mine is updated for a newly changed intersection between I35E and I694 here in Minneapolis. Construction just finished last year.

I've been going to Myrtle Beach for 10 years, and they built a new road a long time ago, that still doesn't show up on any GPS I've ever owned.

OK, that's fair then! :cool:

It may not be fair. Without a new road is acceptable, as long as it shows you the right location. But the GPS in the X often shows you the wrong locations, even for very old addresses, that is unacceptable.

I noticed someone posted how to get into diagnostic mode, so I tried it, and I think I just figured out why my GPS won't work. My car will only see 4 satellites with no obstructions above it. No way it will maintain a signal with trees around. My phone in the same exact spot can see 11 satellites.

I noticed someone posted how to get into diagnostic mode, so I tried it, and I think I just figured out why my GPS won't work. My car will only see 4 satellites with no obstructions above it. No way it will maintain a signal with trees around. My phone in the same exact spot can see 11 satellites.

That's interesting. I wonder why only 4- if it truly only sees 4 or if it olnly displays the 4 strongest signals.

That's interesting. I wonder why only 4- if it truly only sees 4 or if it olnly displays the 4 strongest signals.

Something must be wrong with gps module or antenna.

Edit, the other thread the guy was talking about his Magellan, not his Explorer.

Now the latest, the last 2 times I've gotten in the car, the gps gets zero reception and sees zero satellites until I eject the SD card and reinsert it.

Was supposed to bring the car in this past Friday, but was sick so its going in this coming Friday.

I could not get it to locate either Glacier NP or Yellowstone NP nor the lodges in the parks! Using a paper map I finally got to both. Leaving Yellowstone I tried to get directions to my next stop a hotel in Salt Lake City I found the hotel in POI's and set it as my destination all I got was the message "route calculation failed". About 100 miles from SLC it finally worked I used my phone as backup. I am driving across the country for 3 weeks and have had nothing but problems wi5th the GPS. I would Love to have Bill Ford sit in the passenger seat and try to program the unit so he can wittness the quality of product Ford is putting out.

In diagnostic mode my NAV sees 4 satellites in my driveway. It shows me on map in correct location. Driving around it is seeing 7 to 8 satellites. Haven't tried it yet when I v'e lost signal to see what's happening.

Back