2003 Ex 4x4auto | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ex 4x4auto

We have an '03 Ex 4.0 4x4 auto running 235/70/16s. I was wondering what is the tallest tire I can run on it and will it cause any ill effects on the auto part of the 4x4 this would have. I am new to the auto 4x4 system I do like it during bad weather though. Any feed back would be more than welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may not have auto 4x4 unless you have the Advancetrac system, so no need to worry about tires affecting that. You can run 265/75/16's without rubbing. You can fit 285/75/16's, but you'll have rubbing.

No it is the 4x4 auto with the 4high and 4 low buttons also. Auto is the everyday setting that kicks in when rears slip.

Yes I have that too, be sure to test it though to see if you really have the auto computer system. Usually on 3rd gens the auto 4x4 means 2wd.

No it is the auto system I have tried to play in the snow with it this past winter and ended up getting in one of the rangers so I could actually play with out having the front end kicking in every time I gassed on it. I helps on roads that arent in the best of shape but sucks when you want to play in it.

The auto 4x4 setting has nothing to do with advancetrac, and the 4x4 auto setting is not 2wd. If it only operates in 2wd in this setting with the rear axle slipping then somethings not working right or someone has done the brown wire mod on it.

The auto 4x4 has everything to do with the advancetrac, well on the 4th gens anyway. My 03' doesn't have the computer system in it to detect wheel spin, so for me 4x4 auto is 2wd. All I have is the anti-roll.

All 3rd gen 4x4 explorers (not awd) have auto 4x4. Like I said if yours doesn't work something is malfunctioning or it's been modded.

Edit: I forgot to add, Advancetrac has nothing to do with auto 4x4 on the 4th gen either. Advance track is stability control and traction control, not the 4wd system.

Yeah a lot of people dont realize that the AWD system only came with the v-8. the 4.0 never had that option

Yes, all 3rd gen explorers that are 4x4 have the auto 4x4 button, but there are some without the traction control like mine.

Advancetrac deals directly with the 4x4 system. When in 4x4 high or low the system only needs to monitor brake control. When in auto, 4wheel drive will kick in if it detects slippage or sudden maneuvers. Its obviously more than that but its mainly linked to the tires.

But what you're not understanding is it doesn't matter whether you have advancetrac or not, if your explorer is 4x4 then it has Controltrac auto 4x4. If your auto 4x4 doesn't work, then something is wrong or it's been modded.

There are three different systems on the 4x4 explorer. The first is Controltrac, which is the auto 4x4 system. If your explorer is 4x4 (not AWD) then it has Controltrac. All 4x4 Explorers from 1995 to 2010 have Controltrac automatic 4x4. Then it may or may not also have Advancetrac, which is stability/traction control, or Advancetrac w/RSC which is stability/traction control with roll stability control. It is not Advancetrac which controls the auto 4x4, and it has nothing to do with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_Trac

Do you really think they would put the auto 4x4 button in it from the factory if that setting was really only 2wd?

I told you, lol you can get one without traction control! If I want 4wheel, I select 4high or 4low. To engage 2wheel I select 4x4 auto which takes it out of 4wheel. Just because it says AUTO doesn't mean its auto! Ford wasn't going to take the time to change the buttons to 4x2 on all the explorers without traction control. I can do anything I want in 4x4 auto(4x2) and it will stay 2wheel drive.

Ocean there is no argument here, i don't have advancetrac or anything special, i have the three (Auto, High, Low) 4x4 buttons and there is no such thing as 2 wheel drive, if the rear tire slips at all the front tires will engage, i mean any, my car was iced in a few months ago, the rear slipped an inch maybe and the fronts engaged

I told you, lol you can get one without traction control! If I want 4wheel, I select 4high or 4low. To engage 2wheel I select 4x4 auto which takes it out of 4wheel. Just because it says AUTO doesn't mean its auto! Ford wasn't going to take the time to change the buttons to 4x2 on all the explorers without traction control. I can do anything I want in 4x4 auto(4x2) and it will stay 2wheel drive.

You told me what? Did you even bother to read that link?

I'm telling you, ALL 4x4 EXPLORERS FROM 1995 TO 2010 HAVE CONTROLTRAC AUTOMATIC 4x4 It's as simple as that. The traction control has nothing to do with the 4x4 system, and as I said if yours stays in 2wd while in 4x4 auto then it's broken or modded.

leftlane36 I'm sorry your thread has gone off track. Tire size wont matter to the auto 4x4 as long as all four tires are the same size. The problem though is with the explorers transfer case has no direct mechanical connection to the front axle while in 4wd. It's just locking the electromagnetic clutch and I'm not sure how much that can handle.

leftlane my 3rd gen is 4.0 awd there are v6 awd's in 3rd gens

Rob npt a problem. it wont see much off road the wife just likes larger tires on her trucks . Went through same thing on her 02 ranger. Bluebeast sorry they must be rare Ive never seen it with the v-6 only with the V-8s

Of course I read the link, great info btw thanks. Sorry Leftlane36 for this thread going astray. Don't know what else to tell ya or how else to explain this lol. I have an explorer without controltrac/advancetrac or what ever you want to call it. May be hard to believe for you with the auto button being there, but that's how it is and I gave an explanation as to why in my last post. My truck has never been modified nor is there any problem with it, Its always been like this because I got one without traction control! I have other explorer friends who can contest to that, some on this forum. I off road all the time/play in the snow and can prove it that way too. My front wheels will not engage in auto.

You guys don't have to believe me but there are 3rd gens out there without traction control, although rare bc really, why wouldn't you want one without it? End of discussion!

Yes there are a lot of explorers out there without traction control, but you are confusing traction control (Advancetrac) with the auto 4x4 system (Controltrac).

The traction control (Advancetrac) transfers power from side to side through the differential by applying the brakes to the spinning wheel(s). It does other things too but they're not important here. It is a completely separate system from the Controltrac automatic 4x4 system. I have no doubt that your explorer doesn't have Advancetrac, because it was an option. What I keep trying to tell you though is that all 4x4 explorers from 1995 to 2010 have Controltrac automatic 4x4. I promise you if yours doesn't it's because it's broken or it's been modded.

Sheesh! Just give up on this guy already, Rob. Ocean Pacific obviously doesn't know what he's talking about, but he's the type who will NEVER believe this or listen to reason. We could probably get the very engineers responsible for DESIGNING the Explorers to tell him that the auto 4x4 (ControlTrac transfercase) is normally in two-wheel when auto is engaged, but instantly (and momentarily, only until real slip stops) emgages the front axle. Somebody that lives near him needs to actually point out IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL to HIS Explorer that this is DEFINITELY the case. Traction control does not mean four-wheel drive! There are lots of two-wheel drive only cars out there that have traction control. From how OP was talking, it seems like he thinks Traction Control means four-wheel drive. AdvanceTrac is a SPERATE system that takes care of traction control, stability control, and if it's AdvanceTrac with RSC, it also does roll-stability control. Furthermore, since 2009, they added trailer sway control to the AdvanceTrac system's list of duties. If he still thinks that he's right after all this, he's just like a friend of mine who constantly makes up stuff about any situation and just believes he's right. aka a pathelogical liar. My other friends and I have just gotten to the point where when we disprove all his lies or catch him in one and he still maintains his position, we just tell him, "Just say 'Dammit.', Carl". We started this because he would eventually realize there was no fooling us and he'd go, "Dammit." So in conclusion, just say "Dammit", OP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back