Crappy air conditioner and flakey MFT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crappy air conditioner and flakey MFT

JanChristian

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Is anyone else having issues with their AC? Mine seems to come and go in waves. It'll be nice and chilly then randomly go warm, like I clicked the AC off and it's just the fan blowing. This happens while driving but especially when I come to a stop.

The dimming of the MFT used to be all messed up but I think the latest "scheduled maintenance" fixed it.

My previous destinations in the GPS always seem to get randomly deleted.

The overall MFT lags at times.

The engine also sounds different now, it has a high pitched whine sometimes, almost like a supercharger.

I'm going to take it into the dealer but I was just wondering if anyone else had these issues.

PS: Microsoft sucks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your AC issue is the fan. There is a TSB on it. It needs to be replaced. That's most likely the source of your noise also.

I just took mine in for the v2.11 update. I mentioned to the Tech I wanted the A/C checked as it didn't seem cold enough.

The rental I got from dealer was a 2011 Fusion which had ice cold A/C

Dealer came back with A/C checked out fine all within parameters, so no fix done.

What TSB are you referring to?

Your AC issue is the fan. There is a TSB on it. It needs to be replaced. That's most likely the source of your noise also.

Yeah that was my first guess, a pulley seizing up or something.

I just took mine in for the v2.11 update. I mentioned to the Tech I wanted the A/C checked as it didn't seem cold enough.

The rental I got from dealer was a 2011 Fusion which had ice cold A/C

Dealer came back with A/C checked out fine all within parameters, so no fix done.

What TSB are you referring to?

I believe this one: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2735929&postcount=25

They had a bad batch of electric fans it seems. The issue is well documented in the thread below. Your AC will blow cold while driving but when you come to a stop it will gradually get warmer after the fan takes a dump. They tend to make noise before they go for good. If you let the truck sit too long with the AC running it will overheat. Review the thread and head back to the dealer for a fan replacement. If they give you guff contact Cory here or on the Explorer FB page and it will be taken care of.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315487

PS: Microsoft sucks.

Don't know why everyone keeps blaming the MFT problems on Microsoft. The issues with MFT are from Ford (and Ford contracted) engineers. Microsoft has been in the automotive technology game for a decade now, and their products are great. Ford wrote the drivers and did the integration and UI, Ford is the problem here, not Microsoft.

None of the other manufacturers that are using MS as their OS for in-vehicle technology are having these issues, and in fact Ford Sync is great, it's MyFord Touch (with sync) that is broken.

Don't know why everyone keeps blaming the MFT problems on Microsoft. The issues with MFT are from Ford (and Ford contracted) engineers. Microsoft has been in the automotive technology game for a decade now, and their products are great. Ford wrote the drivers and did the integration and UI, Ford is the problem here, not Microsoft.

None of the other manufacturers that are using MS as their OS for in-vehicle technology are having these issues, and in fact Ford Sync is great, it's MyFord Touch (with sync) that is broken.

I have to agree with this assessment.

When I took my Ex in for v2.11 updating I got a 2011 Fusion SEL as a rental.

The Fusion's SYNC was really good, all around the system worked faster and was much more intuitive.

The A/C was way colder too.

um, sync is horrible, and is it hardware or software... i could care less, its horrible. its nice when it works, but even on gen1 sync's just die with a usb connected phone needing a reboot is a joke.

the other problem with sync is lack of support for phones.

I've never used a Microsoft product that has wowed me, let alone one I've been happy with. Microsoft's involvement was one of the main things holding me back from getting the Explorer. I hedged my bets by getting the extended warranty.

Hopefully they'll fix the annoying lag with the touchscreen.

Back