• Register Today It's free!

4lo how much can it handle?

slickemhoundd

Reaction score
City, State
Glassboro, southern jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 5.0
In my past 2 ex's I've had 4hi 4low. And this 96 I've got auto and low. Unless in snow on the road ill never use auto. I'm out on the trails every weekend and feel like I'm abusing low range. So if I'm slingin through a pit I generally keep in in 1st or 2nd gear and if driving I stay under 15 mph, but back to the question how much can it handle? As far as speed, gear or rpm? When using auto it just feels lile I'm gonna blow the t case apart

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transfer case can handle any speed which will be produced under the engines redline. That doesn't mean you would want to keep the motor pegged near redline, for obvious reasons.

Change mode depending on conditions. If you need the extra torque from low range drop it into low. If you're cruising at relatively high speeds go into high/auto.

If you're wheeling your Explorer a lot you will probably want to do this:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149388

The famous "Brown Wire Mod".

Now doesn't the brown wire mod vary from 9697 to 98-01?

As Rick said 4low can handle what your engine can safely give you. If you're speaking of mudding which it sounds like, you should just be in 4high when running through a mud pit. If you're doing rocks, trails that's when you want to switch to 4low to get the low end torque to the wheels for slow speed where you need it in some of those conditions.

If its not hard packed dirt its mostly sugar sand/ soupy mud. I often it the same trails but dependant upon the amount of rain some holes can be worry free or terrifying, 4 auto scates me honestly. And 4low I don't wanna over throw, I just tarely have time to tinker on my own toys otherwise the bwire mod would be done by now

If you're using the Explorer like that I would make some time and swap in a Manual BW1354 transfer case. It's a gear driven transfer case, its stronger than the 4405 that came stock in your truck now.

1354 is chain drive

When you go to the 1354 wouldn't you have to do the AVM hub mod?

Back