How to: - Fuel Pump Access Door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Fuel Pump Access Door

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

BobWiersema

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Burbs, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 4.0L SOHC 4x4
My fuel pump crapped out on Monday so I decided to fix it today.
I thought I could do the cut a hole in the floor trick and make an access plate to cover it latter but Im not sure if this is going to work.

Im kind of stuck here and not sure if I can cut this.

Take a look at the pictures and Ill explain.

DSC00022.JPG

DSC00020.JPG

Im not sure if I should cut that heavy gauge tin that is exposed there.
It looks like part of the body support.
Any ideas?

Ill just have a beer and wait for some advice. :D

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cut mine.

Thats what I decided to do. Cut just enough of that support to get the pump out (I hope).

This is a picture of where Im at right now.

DSC00024.jpg

Thats about all I can cut out on the bottom right there without getting into a body mount.

By the way, did you replace the entire thing or just the pump cartridge?

Bob

Just did mine recently (dropped the tank though). I just did the moter assy and filter - not the whole unit.

This seems excessive to me. It isn't that hard to drop the tank. On my 2dr I managed to lower it enough to pull them pump out.

This seems excessive to me. It isn't that hard to drop the tank. On my 2dr I managed to lower it enough to pull them pump out.

It isn't excessive if you are stuck in a parking lot in the middle of a Minnesota winter. After i cut a hole, it wouldn't spin even with a few good hits with a hammer and screwdriver. I did everything inside the truck with all doors closed. I used tin snips and a battery sawzall. Didn't have to worry about the weight of the tank. Bob, I replaced the entire thing but only because it had a bad sender also. Don't cut yourself on the sheet metal.

Well, I jacked the thing up and had my heart set on dropping the tank. Looked like so much work, I would have to pull the tank shield and everything else in the way and it has 20 gallons of gas in it, heat index 102°f . So I wanted a quicker fix and I remember reading about cutting an access hole under the left seat somewhere here.
(more after the next quote)

It isn't excessive if you are stuck in a parking lot in the middle of a Minnesota winter. After i cut a hole, it wouldn't spin even with a few good hits with a hammer and screwdriver. I did everything inside the truck with all doors closed. I used tin snips and a battery sawzall. Didn't have to worry about the weight of the tank. Bob, I replaced the entire thing but only because it had a bad sender also. Don't cut yourself on the sheet metal.

And yes exactly, If Im going to take this apart, Im going to make it easier for the next time ( if there is a next time). It cost 75 bucks to tow it home. If I had a access plate above the pump I could have fixed it on the road. So there's that.

Now on to the "Don't cut yourself part", this is another good reason for me to just cut it open. I started life as a tin knocker back in 1983, long story short, I have plenty of sheet metal tools to cut this thing open quickly without making a single spark or loosing any blood. :D

Ill post the pictures of where I'm at now in a minute, need to get them off the phone.

Also looking around ebay right now for a good deal on a pump. Local auto stores want 100 bucks. I have a spare car so, no rush.

If anyone has a pump for sale let me know. Right now Im looking at 45 bucks for a ac delco pump with pickup screen and the little other extra stuff.

Bob

Bob, try amazon.com. I get all kinds of stuff there, and usually ships free.
Best wishes.

Bob, try amazon.com. I get all kinds of stuff there, and usually ships free.
Best wishes.

Thanks,
No good deals on amazon, right now Im looking at these two items on ebay.

Pump:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=130520428059&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

Screen:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=400207453047&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

So I'm looking at $25 with shipping, I think Ill get two pumps so I have a spare. Plus ebay is a advertiser here, amazon is not. :)

Bob.

p.s. This is the final cut out in the floor.

DSC00028.jpg

Like my cardboard cover?:)

"Wow, that's a low price!"

"Wow, that's a low price!"

Almost to cheap. It does have a 1 year warranty. But I need to do a little more checking. Im not sure if the electric connector is the same.

Bob

Edit:
Now that I take a closer look at the Warranty and FAQ part of there ebay page, its loaded with spelling and grammar errors. Not sure about this......

Pump Update

This is what I decided to order. Its an exact replacement.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=130531416720&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

Im not counting my chickens just yet but I think I just scored a Airtex (aka Bosch) pump for 25 bucks with shipping. The screen it includes will not work so I ordered the correct one from the same place for another 11 bucks.

Thirty six bucks for a new Airtex pump and screen, Ya Im kind of happy about that. :D

Wish me luck,

Bob

Pictures in next post.....

I need to finish out this thread and put the info. in the Gas Tank Access Panel Thread where it belongs.

I finished this job a while back, just haven't had time to update stuff.

So, I got the pump, this is it.
DSC00056.JPG

And the pickup sock.
Photo015.jpg

Stuck it all back together.
New hose and clamps.
Photo016.jpg

All back in with some brown rustoleum on the raw edges.
Photo018.jpg

Now I have to patch up that hole I cut in the truck. So what do I have laying around, these old things will work.
Ya, I know, I could have made a better patch but another trip to the hardware store just was not in me that day.
Photo020.jpg

So thats it.

This pump was a great deal and an exact match. I hope it lasts.

Also this cheap little fuel line tool from PepBoys was fantastic.
DSC00039.JPG

Bob

I am doing this right now. Had some dang Varmint's chew into the rubber section of the high pressure fuel line, and opted for the trap door method, to get at it.

I cut out the stamped floor metal only so far.

I am looking at the formed support metal around the body mount, and really don't like what I am seeing, for cutting on it. I need to keep as much of that intact for strength.

Thanks for the pictures Bob, they gave me a good idea where to place my cut lines.

I totally agree with SupaSwope. I've changed 6 fuel pumps (actually 7 because I had to do one twice) and I dropped the tank every time. Frankly, besides being "wrong" to cut a hole in your floor, I honestly believe it's more work than removing 3 bolts to drop the tank. Taking my time, I can replace a fuel pump in about 90 mins.

Well, I happen to disagree with both of you, as far as telling me what's right and wrong on my property, or others that have done this. . Just because it is wrong for you guys, don't make it wrong for everybody. ;)

Don't presume to know what I or others can, or can't do either. If anything is wrong here, it's that. :nono:

If the pump goes out (for those that do more then cruise the pavement), we can find ourselves in a sticky situation. Being out in the middle of nowhere on trails, in the mountains, or in the Mojave, miles from flat pavement, compressors, floor jacks, and stands, and maybe on an incline, this door is a nice mod for us. A lot of us carry a spare pump, just for this situation.

Did it to mine just for the reason Gregg stated. Dropping a fuel tank on the trail is no bueno. Removing an access panel which should have been installed at the factory is the easiest way to go. Do it once, and a fuel pump change takes 30 minutes tops, instead of 90. An hour and a half down time on a long trail, for one repair is no fun at all.

Well, I happen to disagree with both of you, as far as telling me what's right and wrong on my property, or others that have done this. . Just because it is wrong for you guys, don't make it wrong for everybody. ;)

Don't presume to know what I or others can, or can't do either. If anything is wrong here, it's that. :nono:

If the pump goes out (for those that do more then cruise the pavement), we can find ourselves in a sticky situation. Being out in the middle of nowhere on trails, in the mountains, or in the Mojave, miles from flat pavement, compressors, floor jacks, and stands, and maybe on an incline, this door is a nice mod for us. A lot of us carry a spare pump, just for this situation.

It's your vehicle. By all means do whatever you want. When you post on a forum, you leave yourself open to other's opinions, Don't expect everyone to agree with you. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can change out a pump in an hour...*IF* you have the right tools and **have done it before**.

If the bolts aren't frozen and don't need to soak with PB Blaster overnight, if you have blocks of wood for jack if you have 15" tires, if you have a wheeled floor jack and square of plywood to lift and adjust the tank position, if you have the right quick-disconnect fuel line disconnect tool, if you know all the tubes you have to pull loose.

Good pics for location where to cut floor. Been thinking of this for two years. Good trick using old license plates, I'll use quarter sheet metal screws. When you're out in the middle of nowhere, you can call someone to bring you a pump kit. I'll carry nut driver, quick release tool, flat head screw to pop off electrical connector, and temporary wire nuts with me.

Back