City, State
Bordeaux,FRANCE
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer.1994. 4WD
Hello everyone,
could you tell me what is this part. it's not writing on the label

Thank you very much

:exp::exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be an oxygen sensor. Or O2 sensor for short. The X has 2 of them one on each side of the pipes coming from the headers.

Why does this
Thank you for yours explanations

The 02 sensor is also called a Lambda sensor. The engine computer uses it to measure the exhaust leaving the engine to determine if it is running at the correct fuel-to-air mixture.

A faulty Lambda sensor could be the cause of a fuel excesif consumption
but the seeing "check engine" .not light for report the defect
it is possible to test the Lambda sensor

Thank you very much for your explanation

Dominik,

Not sure if this helps, since there is a lot of technical talk there, but maybe this might help:

CLICK

It is possible to not see a light telling you it is bad, and yes, a bad sensor can lead to excessive fuel consumption and poor running.

Dominik,

Not sure if this helps, since there is a lot of technical talk there, but maybe this might help:

CLICK

It is possible to not see a light telling you it is bad, and yes, a bad sensor can lead to excessive fuel consumption and poor running.

MR Joe Dirt Thank for advices and the link
the light of the witness "Check Engine" not light up.

But in recent weeks I notice that my truck consumes a little more fuel.

Yet I board already replaced the Spark plug 6 Bosch premium class platinum fusion

6 Spark Plug Wire blue 50 ohms Taylor Cable

Beck Arnley Fuel Filter. also installed a new air filter (KKM) and also clean the injectors with the product Bardal

But the truck at 141,361 miles so I think I should replace them too.
"Bosch oxygen sensor super glass" are $ 80 ( 2 )

To conduct a joint road and highway my truck consumes 6 gallons of gasoline every 62 miles for an average of 70 mph

Thank you very much for all explanations

*Maybe this is important I set up 4 new tires
BF Goodrrich T / A KO 31/10, 5 R15 109S

baphomet666 said:
MR Joe Dirt Thank for advices and the link
the light of the witness "Check Engine" not light up.

But in recent weeks I notice that my truck consumes a little more fuel.

Yet I board already replaced the Spark plug 6 Bosch premium class platinum fusion

6 Spark Plug Wire blue 50 ohms Taylor Cable

Beck Arnley Fuel Filter. also installed a new air filter (KKM) and also clean the injectors with the product Bardal

But the truck at 141,361 miles so I think I should replace them too.
"Bosch oxygen sensor super glass" are $ 80 ( 2 )

To conduct a joint road and highway my truck consumes 6 gallons of gasoline every 62 miles for an average of 70 mph

Thank you very much for all explanations

*Maybe this is important I set up 4 new tires
BF Goodrrich T / A KO 31/10, 5 R15 109S

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=31

With that many miles it's a good bet they need to be replaced especially if original.

99% of the time a bad 02 does not trigger a check engine light on a 1st gen.

:thumbsup: Thank you very much guys for your answers
I think replacing the two are the best thing to do.
Is that this is complicated to perform
I look at the Haynes manual, but the Google translation gives me a little risky i have two sensor " one upstream and one downstream" I understand good
thank you for your help

They are not difficult to replace. You can use an open-end wrench, or a special socket like this:

9094123_lg.jpg

and actually, those Bosch plugs may be a problem too. The Ford engines just don't seem to like them as much as the Motorcraft or Autolite plugs.

They are not difficult to replace. You can use an open-end wrench, or a special socket like this:

9094123_lg.jpg

and actually, those Bosch plugs may be a problem too. The Ford engines just don't seem to like them as much as the Motorcraft or Autolite plugs.

This is is correct MrJoe Dirt

Am I to understand that we should not buy Bosch.
but plugs .Motorcraft or Autolite

I can not find a link to purchase the two "one upstream and one downstream" I find just "Location: Before Catalytic Converter"

Thank you very much for advices

In general, the vast majority of people have not had good luck with Bosch plugs. Many members have fouling issues, poor run, loss of mileage which are usually remedied with a set of Motorcraft plugs. Of course, there is always someone that loves them, but it is a rare exception. The Bosch "universal" O2's are ok, but the Motorcraft vehicle-specific O2's are an even better choice, since the Bosch Universal O2's are made to fit a lot of vehicles which may have different needs. The Motorcraft O2's are made for your vehicle and aren't that much more money to buy.

I'm not sure how hard it is to get parts in France, but if I had a choice, I'd buy Motorcraft plugs, and I'd seriously consider new Motorcraft O2 sensors as well, because you won't have to worry about if they will last or not, and they will for sure run correctly.

In general, the vast majority of people have not had good luck with Bosch plugs. Many members have fouling issues, poor run, loss of mileage which are usually remedied with a set of Motorcraft plugs. Of course, there is always someone that loves them, but it is a rare exception. The Bosch "universal" O2's are ok, but the Motorcraft vehicle-specific O2's are an even better choice, since the Bosch Universal O2's are made to fit a lot of vehicles which may have different needs. The Motorcraft O2's are made for your vehicle and aren't that much more money to buy.

I'm not sure how hard it is to get parts in France, but if I had a choice, I'd buy Motorcraft plugs, and I'd seriously consider new Motorcraft O2 sensors as well, because you won't have to worry about if they will last or not, and they will for sure run correctly.

Ok thank you very much, Mr joe Dirt, the problem here in France is that my Ford dealer. Buy items directly to the United States.
So much for me to find a site that sells. Motorcraft or Autolite

Finally I came to find Motorcraft.

Are the two probes are identical "one upstream and one downstream."
i see just " Location: Before Catalytic Converter ".
Or is it just a question of length of the wire connection

Thank you very much for advices

:scratch: Please, could you tell me how much "oxygen sensor" in my 94 explore
when I want to order the part the person told me one alone, and the Haynes manual they say two ?????
:banghead:

Dominik,

I looked up the local parts store. It says the O2 sensor costs $48. But this is a Bosch sensor.

I am almost certain that explorers didn't get 2 o2 sensors until 1995 with the body style change, unless there was 2 on the California model trucks.

By California truck meaning trucks that were sold in the California. They have stricter emissions than everywhere else in the United States.

Dominik-

I'm seeing 2... I think one is in the driver's side manifold, and the other is in the y-pipe. 1991-1993 had one, 1994 went to 2.

THIS one and THIS one.

Rock Auto ships to France I believe, so you can probably get those and the plugs (if you wish to change them) at the same time...

My 93 has 2 one on each side of the exhaust pipe coming off the headers. As I stated in my OP.
The 94 definitely has the same 2 in the same locations, both my 94's did.

Ah ok- I thought the '94 was the changeover year...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back