• Register Today It's free!

shocks for 4" susp lift

slickemhoundd

Reaction score
City, State
Glassboro, southern jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 5.0
Bottom line the superlift shocks are terrible, id like to hunt down shocks that can handle daily driving and trails every weekend, super lift shocks make me feel like I'm driving a 93 ltd station wagon. So any part numbers or links would be awesome, thanks in advancce

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only thing i could come up with was using trailmaster shocks from there 4'' lift other than that i have not been able to find any info on replacement ones

Rancho9000XL adjustable valving shocks are what most run. They are great for both street and dirt, and anything else in between with a simple click of a knob.

Your best bet is to measure your droop and compression and download the Rancho master catalog pdf and start searching for what works best for you.

The problem is finding shocks that will clear the front cv axle, regular shocks won't work unless you can find them were they sit inverted up front but finding some that bolt on are probably impossible without different mounts

cv spacing

So is it possible to move the lower and or upper mount out of the way of the CV shaft to enable more shock options. You could probably gain some shock travel by doing that also. I have been toying with that option myself as the last shocks I put on it suck. The ol' LesSchwab MTN Riders that are way too firm and now are too short for the 3" lift I just finished.

The problem is finding shocks that will clear the front cv axle, regular shocks won't work unless you can find them were they sit inverted up front but finding some that bolt on are probably impossible without different mounts

How big a shock are you wanting to use in the front?

You can fit up to 2.5" wide shocks in the front without hitting the cv axles.

So is it possible to move the lower and or upper mount out of the way of the CV shaft to enable more shock options. You could probably gain some shock travel by doing that also. I have been toying with that option myself as the last shocks I put on it suck. The ol' LesSchwab MTN Riders that are way too firm and now are too short for the 3" lift I just finished.
Being that your 4wd, you wont gain any travel, as the c/v joints limit the IFS to whopping 6" (3" up & 3" down) at the shock mount, and that's pushing it.

A long arm kit, or a straight axle conversion is your only choice's to increase the travel. ;)

How big a shock are you wanting to use in the front?

You can fit up to 2.5" wide shocks in the front without hitting the cv axles.

At least on my lift which is the same as everyone elses standard shock won't fit the cv is in the way the shock tube needs to be raised from the mounting bracket to clear

At least on my lift which is the same as everyone elses standard shock won't fit the cv is in the way the shock tube needs to be raised from the mounting bracket to clear

Standard shock isn't even 2" wide. You have a picture of what your talking about here? :scratch:

I have personally seen a few 4" superlift kits running 2" shocks with 2.5" coils fit in the stock shock location and clear the C/V's.

Yeah. Make sure its not 2.5" shocks with 3" coils. That won't fit. At all. Trust me. I know. Lol

ok then what part numbers are everyone with rancho, they obviously not using the stock size since its a 4'' lift

ok then what part numbers are everyone with rancho, they obviously not using the stock size since its a 4'' lift

Your best bet is to measure your droop and compression and download the Rancho master catalog pdf and start searching for what works best for you.

You have to measure your stuff and do some research. ;)

The crazy part is the superlift shocks even contact the cv:s but aside from that, how are the trailmaster shocks compared to the superlift? Are they the same or are the trailmasters better? I already know the ranchos are badazz

The crazy part is the superlift shocks even contact the cv:s but aside from that, how are the trailmaster shocks compared to the superlift? Are they the same or are the trailmasters better? I already know the ranchos are badazz

Thats what I'm saying my super lift shock touch and got scraped up by the clamps on the cv and made them rust up. The trail master ones are a little better not much they have 2 models I got the ssv ones

Being that your 4wd, you wont gain any travel, as the c/v joints limit the IFS to whopping 6" (3" up & 3" down) at the shock mount, and that's pushing it.

A long arm kit, or a straight axle conversion is your only choice's to increase the travel. ;)

What if the CV wasn't the limiting factor? I've been devising a plan to lower the differential around an inch or so. This way a guy could get more down travel w the torsion bars turned up and not bind the CVs. I don't know if the gains would be worth the effort, but I am curious.

Back to the shocks, it sounds like some guys have run regular shocks w minimal clearance issues. So what if you made custom mounts on the lower arm that moved the shock away from the CV shaft? That is what I am thinking. It would make your shock selection much greater.

Back