limited slip vs aussie locker | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

limited slip vs aussie locker

^^^ ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I'm weird.

I run the autohubs so that when something breaks, it's the easiest thing to fix.

Of course I keep a good eye on the condition of everything, and don't do really extreme wheeling.

I've had the TrueTrac in both of my Explorers and was very happy with them. In an automatic you can mess with the brakes and it will help lock it up. The only problem is if you break an axle/hub/whatever...you only have 2wd until the broken part is fixed.

My next rig will have the Detroit Electrac because I love L/S up front, but the option to be fully locked is great.

They also tell me that a Jeep D35 L/S (the rights years and carrier break) will work in our front D35's. I suspect by the time the setup is done to use a salvage unit, that it's not worth the hassle. IDK.

Did Jeep use a true-trac or what do they have?

I guess I'm weird.

I run the autohubs so that when something breaks, it's the easiest thing to fix.

Of course I keep a good eye on the condition of everything, and don't do really extreme wheeling.

Problem with that is they break so easy and unless you have a locker you lose 4wheel drive and your trying to get off a trail in 2wheel or should say one wheel if you don't have a locker in the back

They also tell me that a Jeep D35 L/S (the rights years and carrier break) will work in our front D35's. I suspect by the time the setup is done to use a salvage unit, that it's not worth the hassle. IDK.

Did Jeep use a true-trac or what do they have?

You answered your question in the question.its a ls.i thought about going this route till i realized how bad stock ls really are off road

Problem with that is they break so easy and unless you have a locker you lose 4wheel drive and your trying to get off a trail in 2wheel or should say one wheel if you don't have a locker in the back

Oh yes I certainly understand (!).

I see a lot of the places on here that people take their rides and think "wow I gotta upgrade before I do THAT" lol.

So far for the limited things I do (some mud, traversing creeks, etc.. "farm hopping") I've been VERY fortunate to not even break any hubs yet. Frequent inspections and cleanings do help. My biggest enemy so far was hydro-locking the engine once (ouch!).

One of my explorers is open diffs on both ends (waiting on some cash to fix that) and the other is open front and factory LS rear.

The answer for me is to assess what I can/can't get away with and go around things that will cause me breakages - if possible.

After toying with the Jeep LS idea... well I'm saving for a Spartan Locker. I like their spring setup (and the cost). Hope to find some reviews on them someday.

since were on the topic. whats the diff between a aussie and detroit? i already messed up not throwin a detroit in when i did my gears. price diff? function diff? )diff for difference lol sorry)

A detroit is alot stronger and doesn't really unlock as easily as a lunchbox. A detroit replaces the whole carrier as a lunchbox just replaces your spiders

But isn't a Detroit a gear driven ls?not full 100% like an aussie?

Never mind guess it is.i have NEVER heard of anyone breaking an aussie so don't think people can say its stronger. Main difference is a aussie cost $200 where a Detroit cost $700,i would do a selectable locker before i spent that much!!

an aussie is great for smaller apps. put a set off 38" boggers and a few hundred hp and witness an explosion.

an aussie is great for smaller apps. put a set off 38" boggers and a few hundred hp and witness an explosion.

You have any evidence of an aussie blowing up in an 8.8??because there is no hp rating or tire size rating for warranty. Just because the item is bigger doesn't mean its better,its still an 8.8. Throw a couple hundred hp and larger than 38 tires at it and you going to have an explosion no matter what.ps i run very large 36(37.5)x14.50 and a good deal of tq and i have laid burnouts and been through some serious mud in two wheel drive and not broke anything yet!and the $500 i saved is buying my front gears and locker;)

how big of a tire and gear combo would be good on aussie locker? im goin with a 4.56 and at least 35s may go 36s is that to much or will i be ok with that?

how big of a tire and gear combo would be good on aussie locker? im goin with a 4.56 and at least 35s may go 36s is that to much or will i be ok with that?

You have any evidence of an aussie blowing up in an 8.8??because there is no hp rating or tire size rating for warranty. Just because the item is bigger doesn't mean its better,its still an 8.8. Throw a couple hundred hp and larger than 38 tires at it and you going to have an explosion no matter what.ps i run very large 36(37.5)x14.50 and a good deal of tq and i have laid burnouts and been through some serious mud in two wheel drive and not broke anything yet!and the $500 i saved is buying my front gears and locker;)

^^^ i run a very modified 4.0ish with 4.88 and very large 36x14.50

From what I jhave seen of the lock rite is the pins breaking, not saying that a lock rite is an aussie but they're damn close. Maybe aussie is using better quality steel in their pins. believe me I'd buy anything other than a detroit as well due to the price, but there's no arguing their strength.
stock carriers still have weaknesses. Look at yours in a year or two and magnaflux it, tell me what you find
http://www.ranger-forums.com/showthread.php?t=114154

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=79920 post 8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question should be why are you going to run 4.56 with a 35+ size tire??go least 4.88!

Back