• Register Today It's free!

sas steering help please

fiftyfeetup

Reaction score
City, State
clarion, pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
i'm running dana 60's, 37x12.5 military runflats/wheels. hi steer. haven't done the steering box yet. I have a first gen box that I can mount up but it looks flimsy. will it work? not doing any rockcrawling, mostly using the truck as a skid steer for pulling timber out of the woods, a lot of mud and bad trails, driving over logs and woods rocks, etc. 01 sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should work, thats how mine is set up. Maybe somebody else has an opinion, but it should be ok.

Thank you. Is your pitman arm horizontal or is there an angle to it? It looks like to make the steering box fit it may be easier to have it at a slight angle.

Mine has a stock ranger pitman arm on it and it is angled down a bit. If you didnt already know, make sure to keep your drag link and trac bar on the same angle.

idk but ive seen over on pirate 4x4 that older yota steering boxes are what they run. dont ask me im not sas'd or anything but just my .02 i guess. good luck man

I used a 1st gen box on mine as well but I only have a Dana 30 with 33's.

I used a 1st gen box on mine as well but I only have a Dana 30 with 33's.

can you take a few pics? I'm currently workin on the d30 into our '95..

Make sure you check the adjustments on your stops at the axle knuckles, you definitely want your wheels to stop turning from the stops and not your steering box, or you will easily ruin it.
When I put in my D44 the stops that were originally in the axle did not stick far enough out so I took them out and replaced with longer grade 8 bolts so that it would not steer quite that far, side to side. I only needed like 1/4 of an inch more on each side.
Obviously the donor vehicle had just a little more travel at the gear box than my stock one, it`s important to check that and easy to overlook.
Pitman arm length can also affect the stroke too.

-cheers

Back