Advice on selling my 2011 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice on selling my 2011 Explorer XLT

rsteen82

Reaction score
City, State
Edwards AFB ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Although I LOVE my Explorer, I need to sell it because I'm moving to South Korea and can't take it with me. Because there isn't a KBB or an NADA value listed yet, I was hoping to get some opinions from you guys. I have the red candy metallic (no longer available) XLT with 201A, tow package, and roof cross bars. I have 6,200 miles and i bought it April 22. MSRP on this when I bought it was $34,930.00. What do you guys think it's worth, in perfect condition (not a scratch!) to a private party? Do you think that the color will carry a heavy premium? IMO, it's the nicest color the Explorer has come in, but of course I think that.
Also, will the buyer have to pay the same taxes I did even though I just payed the taxes on it 3 months ago? I believe the already paid registration should transfer. Any advice/opinions are much appreciated. Thanks!

:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is fascinating.

I'm in the same boat and was just coming here to ask for advice or guidance as to it's value.

Because of an unexpected job move I need to sell my 2011 Explorer Limited as well.

Mine is almost 3 months old with 1900 miles in MINT condition. Obviously I need to compete with the new ones and the remaining 2011 with any rebates and make it attractive for someone.

Mine also has a 100K Ford Warranty and the front fascia has the clear paint wrap and all windows have been tinted.

The specs on mine are

4wd Limited White Platinum, 302A package, Dual moon roof, Towing package, 20" wheels, Inflatable seatbelts. MSRP after discounts was $47545.

What is a fair price and what is the best way to sell this vehicle?

15% discount is a good starting point. You're one model year down and it's a private sale.

I was offered about 2/3 of what I paid for my Limited 2WD with 302A, Tow, 20's ($44.8k MSRP) for a trade by two different dealers.

I was offered about 2/3 of what I paid for my Limited 2WD with 302A, Tow, 20's ($44.8k MSRP) for a trade by two different dealers.

If it gets that bad, I will sub-lease it or store it for 2 years. It will still be worth 30K

Dealer offered me $13,000 on an '02 Sport with 13,000 miles in 2003 9 months after I bought it for high 20's. Par for the course. Has anyone listed one yet?

I bit the proverbial bullet..

Sad to see it go, but won't miss the 1200 car payment. Yes I took it in the shorts but not horribly.

I lost about 10% on the deal.

Nope it wasn't... Borrowed 44K @0 % for 36... from FMC= 1200 and change a month

I bit the proverbial bullet..

Sad to see it go, but won't miss the 1200 car payment. Yes I took it in the shorts but not horribly.

I lost about 10% on the deal.

So what did you do? Did you trade it in or selll to a private party? What do you mean that you lost 10% on the deal?

Thanks - Mark

Mark;

Sold it to a dealer in a neighboring state. I lost about 10% on what I paid for it. This doesn't include unrecoverables such as tinting, mask, tax and reg.

Mark;

Sold it to a dealer in a neighboring state. I lost about 10% on what I paid for it. This doesn't include unrecoverables such as tinting, mask, tax and reg.

Wow! That's much better than I was being offered at 30% off what I paid.

Sad part is mine was a 2 month old dealer demo and I got no discount for the 1600 miles on it and you guys are getting the shaft. Frankly I'd sublease to someone I know, but I think you signed that right away with Ford Credit.

Back