Wheel Hub Replacement Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Hub Replacement Questions

Reaction score
City, State
Ephrata Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Sporttrac XLT
My front right wheel hub is going bad. I paid a mechanic to do the left a few months ago and figured I could do it myself a little more cost friendly. I stumbled across a step-by-step instruction w/pictures on how to do it, but i cant find it now. The guy who had it referred to himself as a "Lock Tight *****" lol or something to that effect. Id greatly appreciate some pointers/advice!

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SHAZAM!

Definitely a job not to have a shop do... Totally shadetree friendly...

If you look on mysporttrac.com there is a write up on it.

There is a writeup linked above... :dunno:

I have been running Timken hubs for awhile with no problems, ordered them from autozone. Have used a master pro hub and national hub, both wore out less than a year. Just some data, hope it helps.

I have been running Timken hubs for awhile with no problems, ordered them from autozone. Have used a master pro hub and national hub, both wore out less than a year. Just some data, hope it helps.

We carry the Motorcraft, Timken and house brand hubs for the Sport Trac.

I just did the hubs on my 04 Grand Cherokee and used the Timkens that we sell.

My truck rides awesome on the highway again. Nice and smooth;)

We carry the Motorcraft, Timken and house brand hubs for the Sport Trac.

I just did the hubs on my 04 Grand Cherokee and used the Timkens that we sell.

My truck rides awesome on the highway again. Nice and smooth;)

I was checking on your site and it wasn't clear which one was the Timken.

I can vouch for 1AAuto- they are a great vendor, prices are good and they actively support the site... :thumbsup:

if your looking for a good deal for timkens go to rockauto.com i think right now there are $100 a piece whipping is like $5 thats far cheaper that
1aauto.com

A while back, Rock's shipping charges negated the savings, not sure if that is still true, I know that they have been dropping prices because people stopped shopping there...

ya thats true, i know when i bought one of my timkens it was $103+ $6.11shipping it was still cheaper than buying local i alway compare local to rocks

I can vouch for 1AAuto- they are a great vendor, prices are good and they actively support the site... :thumbsup:

Thanks bud. Plus we offer a 2 year warranty on them where a lot of places only offer 1, and we help our customers out by shooting installation videos on a daily basis of all the parts we carry.

We also stock about 95% of our inventory, so if it's in stock it's here on a shelf, and for the most part not being drop shipped.

Parts we don't stock are carpets, tops, and upholstery because there are just to many variables with that stuff.

Tony :salute:

Another question, Timken has 3 hubs that'll work: SP470200, SP450202, & SP470201. Rockauto carries SP450202, is there much if any difference detween them?

Another question, Timken has 3 hubs that'll work: SP470200, SP450202, & SP470201. Rockauto carries SP450202, is there much if any difference detween them?

It more than likely has to do with the options that the truck has such as ABS,4WD,2WD Etc.

One last question, then i think im done. Are my rear brake (05 sport trac) calipers steel??

I had no idea they made them from anything else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didnt think they were made with anything other than steel too, but i guess certain model may have... The guy at autozone isnt sure but i assume they're steel

Back