• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Problems

ayallop

Reaction score
City, State
Corvallis, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT control trac
Hey. I had an account on this forum awhile back and apparently it was deleted, by me or someone else, not sure. Anyways hello again and now to the business.

97 Explorer Auto 4wd.

I'm having tranny issues and a CEL with code pointing to Turbine Speed Sensor Malfunction and i'm not sure where that is. I have a Haynes manual (crappy i know) and it's not in there. Just swapped a rear axle recently but the issue was there before. Also getting flashing OD light intermittently and 4wd on/off. 60 MPH rpms are pushing 3k with 3.73 axles.

Any help with a diagnosis or pointers would be great. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tasteless bump.

The only place in a transmission with a turbine is the torque convertor.

TSS sensor is internal, located at the CENTER SUPPORT.
Your RPMs sound like they are too high.
4X4 lights flashing too? Oh my...

The only place in a transmission with a turbine is the torque convertor.

thats what i figured but i keep seeing people say there's a sensor that malfunctions inside the tranny somewhere.

@drdoom : yeah i know man. this thing is gonna kill me:(

You know the TSS wiring can be accessed by pulling the pan. It plugs into the main connector on the internal harness. I don't know if that will help, but it is possible to probe the sensor from there. I just don't know off the top of my head what to check for, other than a full continuity test of the internal harness, and maybe a resistance reading on the TSS.
Best Wishes.

PS: It may even be possible to probe the TSS from outside of the transmission, if you knew which pins to check. Also, there are .pdf transmission manuals available for download in the transmission sub-forum.

Location For Transmission Vehicle Speed Sensor

It does look like a miniature turbine.

The speed sensor sends a signal to the on-board computer reporting the vehicle speed. When not replaced, vehicle may experience CEL/MIL illumination, high fuel consumption, loss of power and/or inaccurate transmission shift points.

Please see the following link for your repair. Look carefully at the post #'s 3 & 6 with the pic's since it shows the location of it.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297066

This is what the 'Transmission Vehicle Speed Sensor" looks like. Most likely the part you need.
http://claspics.com/680/815594/1313139701-443.jpg.php

It does look like a miniature turbine.

The speed sensor sends a signal to the on-board computer reporting the vehicle speed. When not replaced, vehicle may experience CEL/MIL illumination, high fuel consumption, loss of power and/or inaccurate transmission shift points.

Please see the following link for your repair. Look carefully at the post #'s 3 & 6 with the pic's since it shows the location of it.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297066

This is what the 'Transmission Vehicle Speed Sensor" looks like. Most likely the part you need.
http://claspics.com/680/815594/1313139701-443.jpg.php

Thanks all. Any other pointers would be appreciated if someone has a different take on the issue. I'm gonna pick up the part soon and I'll let you guys know. And those are the EXACT issues i'm having. Fuel is around 12mpg on highway, shifting like a 13 year old in a manual, CEL on, and power is low. Would that also be possible cause of no OD? I figure truck is running in "limp" mode most of the time.

Thanks all. Any other pointers would be appreciated if someone has a different take on the issue. I'm gonna pick up the part soon and I'll let you guys know. And those are the EXACT issues i'm having. Fuel is around 12mpg on highway, shifting like a 13 year old in a manual, CEL on, and power is low. Would that also be possible cause of no OD? I figure truck is running in "limp" mode most of the time.

Yes, it's all interrelated so it can be the reason you have no OD.
Let us know how things turn out.

Back