Tin Roof Rain noise. | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tin Roof Rain noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to wonder if your user name hints at what has happened...;)

In seriousness, is this really a 5 month fix? Being compltely ignorant of the process, I can tell you what my process would be: Identify problem (already done); Identify possible solutions (very limited choice of low-cost, retrofit options: stuff it with dry foam, spray it with liquid foam, 3M-type film on exterior); implement fixes and test; assess durability (manufacturer data already available and not something requiring extensive testing?). Give me one engineer part-time for a month and I think I could find an acceptable solution....

Not trying to stick up for Ford as I think they really missed the ball on this however, I do think it is a very involved process. I don't think Ford really recognized the issue for the first few months of this thread.. I think they truly realized and recognized the problem within the past 4-6 weeks. After duplicating/investigating, they then have to create and test a fix that is suitable. They then have to figure a way to implement the fix into the production line and figure out how they are going to get the word out to all dealers and get them trained on the fix. Being this is a 99% sealed area and could possibly cause damage if done improperly, I can understand why it is taking time for Ford to release something.

I rather wait on this and have them focus on the MFT issues. After all, it's not like we experience this issue every day or even every week.

I rather wait on this and have them focus on the MFT issues. After all, it's not like we experience this issue every day or even every week.

I hope that they don't have there structural engineers working on MFT.

(i'm just posting to subscribe to the thread for updates)

I agree with all, for the price, this is not a noise we should have in brand new $40K vehicle

i noticed the "tin roof" noise to be a little excessive in the very first rain we had our explorer in two months ago

no a-pillar noise that i've noticed in ours though

I guess from most of the comments posted here that you never owned an convertable. Instead of a "tin Roof" sound my MG had a "bass drum" sound effect in heavy rain. The first time we heard the sound my wife broke up laughing and the noise became a conversation piece. Instead of the roof noise I am disappointed that the moon roof is so small, it should have been wider and longer as the roof over the second row is useless.

Whats the status of the TSB on this issue?

+1
The cynic in me thinks the status is, "Wait for them to forget about it..."

I fixed mine:)

I'm about to the point of doing something myself, if only because I want to do something. When you did yours, did you get some sort of extension tube for the spray foam or just come at it from multiple locations with the ~8" tube that is supplied with the foam? My thought: if I can just pull the sun visors to get access and run a long tube through those holes then I don't have to worry about pulling the headliner. My concern with pulling the headliner is from experience with much older cars and headliners that fall - not even sure if that is an issue with modern design.

Thanks,
Randy

I brought mine in for the first oil change and I asked the service manager if there were any plans to correct this. He said he had never heard of the complaint before. I find that shocking and I told him the sound reminded me of the beach scenes from "Saving Private Ryan" - when the bullets are hitting the metal. Then when I left the dealership I was left with a frozen MFT which now requires an upgrade next week. One step forward...

I'm about to the point of doing something myself, if only because I want to do something. When you did yours, did you get some sort of extension tube for the spray foam or just come at it from multiple locations with the ~8" tube that is supplied with the foam? My thought: if I can just pull the sun visors to get access and run a long tube through those holes then I don't have to worry about pulling the headliner. My concern with pulling the headliner is from experience with much older cars and headliners that fall - not even sure if that is an issue with modern design.

Thanks,
Randy

Look at the following photos. Note the Black pocket where the Sun visor is mounted . The black pocket cannot be removed without taking the head liner down. Also want to note that to the left of where the Sun Visor mounts you will see several holes which is two separate cavity areas.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/batman8989/Explorer/?action=view&current=P1010064.jpg

Note holes that the foam can be sprayed into when the head liner is down. No other holes were needed. Sorry I did not remove the liner myself. The tech that repaired the Hail damage removed the liner

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/batman8989/Explorer/?action=view&current=P1010062.jpg

As stated before in a thread that I have driven through several heavy rain storms and all you could hear is rain hitting the windshield.

For those that may have missed my other threads, this is what it sound like without the fix.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/batman8989/Explorer/?action=view&current=Explorerbeforefix.mp4

And this is what it sounds like after the fix.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/batman8989/Explorer/?action=view&current=Explorerafterfix.mp4

If you live in an area where you might get some hail damage then wait and have the Dentless repair tech fill the void when they have the head liner removed. Worked for me and the tech did the work and included it into the hail damage repair cost which the insurance covered.

Would not go overboard when spraying the foam. Spray a little at a time and let it expand before adding more.

I add the Dynamat mainly to reduce any noise from getting to the Microphone mounted in the headliner above the driver seat.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/batman8989/Explorer/?action=view&current=materialusedandwhere.jpg

Thanks for the additional info, batman. I won't be working on mine until the kids are back in school but it is much easier to know the details (like the separate cavities!) before I dive in. I really appreciate your write-up and photos.

Bump

Anyone know if a TSB is coming or if Ford just is going to make the 11 owners deal with it.
2012 models have foam being sprayed in there apparently, lucky them.

Have not seen a 2012 yet. Have been trying to find one to see if it has the same drum noise as the 2011.

Have not seen a 2012 yet. Have been trying to find one to see if it has the same drum noise as the 2011.

The dealership close to the house claims to have one on the lot. If it doesn't sell by Monday, I'll run over there and tap the roof and let ya know what I hear.

I just placed an order to have a 2012 Limited built (xplan) when test driving I kept commenting how quite it was, but it was not raining. If anyone knows if this has been resolved on the '12 I would love to know. After reading a few posts in this thread sounds like I need to start looking at what is wrong with MFT and if the '12 has that problem also.

I just placed an order to have a 2012 Limited built (xplan) when test driving I kept commenting how quite it was, but it was not raining. If anyone knows if this has been resolved on the '12 I would love to know. After reading a few posts in this thread sounds like I need to start looking at what is wrong with MFT and if the '12 has that problem also.

MFT is the same for the '11 as the '12.

Rain noise should be fixed according to what I saw here. Sarge apparantly talked to a Ford guy who stated they are spray foaming in that area.

My 03/11 Build EX has the same issues- The vibrating A pillar and tin roof on a rainy day ! Otherwise it's been great. Other than occasional slowing of MFT, this car is wonderful. So far the car is running cool but the overheating/fan failure has me worried- I guess I'll have to keep one eye on the Engine temp while driving.

My 03/11 Build EX has the same issues- The vibrating A pillar and tin roof on a rainy day ! Otherwise it's been great. Other than occasional slowing of MFT, this car is wonderful. So far the car is running cool but the overheating/fan failure has me worried- I guess I'll have to keep one eye on the Engine temp while driving.

Mine was built on 3/14. I thought I had escaped the fan issue, but was waiting in line in a drive-thru and noticed the A/C stopped blowing cold air. I checked under the hood and neither fan was turning. It never did actually overheat. I took it to the dealer Thursday and the fan was bad. Got it back with a new fan Friday evening.

I hear the rain noise, but it isn't too bad. Im concentrating on getting my gps fixed for now.

I have a build date of 6/15, which is my birthday as well, LOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seen a 2012 X at my dealer and did my drum test on 2012,2011, and my X. You will hear some background noise from passing traffic and air tools in the shop.

2011 on the lot.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/batman8989/?action=view&current=MOV00077.mp4

2012 on the lot.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/batman8989/?action=view&current=MOV00076.mp4

My 2011 with my modification at the dealer waiting to have V2.11 installed. Love :) my quiet X. Must note I do get some road noise on some highways.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/batman8989/?action=view&current=MOV00078.mp4

Sorry, don,t have any test equipment to measure and compare the Db levels. Use your un-calibrated ear to hear the difference.

Back