George Washington Nation Forest Run, 9/24/11 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

George Washington Nation Forest Run, 9/24/11

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might still go if xeek goes and brings the diesel so he can tow me out if i get stuck in 4x2 hahahh or might just ride along for camping/party ;)

If you have low range, RWD and stay on the trail, you shold be OK. Low range is just to save your brakes and be able to go slow enough not to beat yourself up to much.

so whos all in for this?

Sounds like I may be in for the ride I can wax the piss out of it and should avoid most scratches...
I've done the whole peters mill run with it the only thing I may do next time is remove the running boards
Id consider myself a pretty skilled driver and I like to think I'm very aware of the limitations of my rig...(clearance etc...)
Have you been on the peters mill run? Everyone there had 33's or larger but I made it fine bone stock minus a few minor scratches to running boards from rocks... Just took my time and thought out the best route through and occasionaly stopped to check a rock or water depth.. I would rate peters mill a 3 but my three may be lighter than yours lol
I do have tow package with 3.73 and limited slip with the t/c (can cut off but its usually helpful depending on situation)
Xeek saw it truck through some shtuff at the beach and keep on getting it
Plus if I have my duratracs by then they'll sit at 32/10.50
EDIT- after looking at some trail pics etc I think I'm definitely in on this trip
where did you find trail pics?anyone have a goggle maps link or anything?

also does it cost,do we need permits?and is there anywhere to shoot up there?i have hunted at Sherando Lake before and know i needed a permit to even carry a gun or hunt back then on national forest

Yea found some pics.i would say it a 2 or 3 max.i shouldn't have any trouble.i think im in now as long as some more people sign up.you in?

Yea found some pics.i would say it a 2 or 3 max.i shouldn't have any trouble.i think im in now as long as some more people sign up.you in?

I'm DEFINATELY going i would really like to make two days of it bieng its so far away its too much driving for one day to go ride and come home (7-8+hrs driving total)want to camp trying to get a few more to camp also... HINT HINT
-Edit this is a pic of id assume one of the tougher spots though it really isnt but a susp test
http://www.core4x4.org/PhotoGallery/albums/2006/07-01-06_Stoney_Run/2500327980064766237Pcugum_ph.jpg

Special Recreation Permits for Designated OHV and ATV Trails
Off-highway vehicles (OHVs), all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), utility vehicles (UTVs) and unlicensed motorbikes are restricted to use on designated trails only. Every operator of an ATV, UTV, 4-wheel drive vehicle, motorcycle or motorbike on trails and roads designated within the Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV complex in Shenandoah County and all operators of ATVs, motorbikes and mountain bikes on the South Pedlar ATV Trail in Amherst County must possess and display a permit. Permits cost $5 for a daily permit, $12 for a 3-day permit (must be used on a visit of 3 consecutive days) or $30 for an annual permit. Permits are available from authorized vendors and from the Lee Ranger District Office and the Glenwood-Pedlar Office. For a list of locations where you can purchase special recreation permits for these two trail systems, go to:
Permit vendors for Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap Trail System
Permit vendors for South Pedlar ATV Trail System
Two designated ATV trails are free. These are Rocky Run Trail in Rockingham County west of Harrisonburg and Patterson Mountain ATV Trail System in Botetourt County north of Roanoke. For more information about all of these motorized trails, visit our designated motorized trails page.

Yea i want to go up Fri and set up camp and chill and 4x4 sat and camp sat and maybe 4x4 sun.im for sure camping sat

I might be down i just gotta find a babysitter for my kids..My rig stock would i have a problem.i have 3.73 LS with stock size tires..I dont care about trees or scraping i just need to be sure that my rig will be ok making it..I cant seem to get the link to work

Unclemeat, is this the same trail we did in 2006 after the Crozet trip? I would love to go back but that's not going to happen this year.

If it is the same trail, you guys shouldn't have anything to worry about with semi-stock rigs. I ran it in '06 after busting an auto hub at Crozet. So, I was stock geared with worn out limited slip, RWD only, on 32" ATs.

I might be down i just gotta find a babysitter for my kids..My rig stock would i have a problem.i have 3.73 LS with stock size tires..I dont care about trees or scraping i just need to be sure that my rig will be ok making it..I cant seem to get the link to work
Im going with the same setup provided i cant get my tires but you will be fine

Yea all the pics I've seen have stock trucks in them.im going with 2wd and there will be a couple of us there in case me or anyone gets stuck.hahah will had to pull me out on the beach with his stock truck;)

Special Recreation Permits for Designated OHV and ATV Trails
Off-highway vehicles (OHVs), all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), utility vehicles (UTVs) and unlicensed motorbikes are restricted to use on designated trails only. Every operator of an ATV, UTV, 4-wheel drive vehicle, motorcycle or motorbike on trails and roads designated within the Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV complex in Shenandoah County and all operators of ATVs, motorbikes and mountain bikes on the South Pedlar ATV Trail in Amherst County must possess and display a permit. Permits cost $5 for a daily permit, $12 for a 3-day permit (must be used on a visit of 3 consecutive days) or $30 for an annual permit. Permits are available from authorized vendors and from the Lee Ranger District Office and the Glenwood-Pedlar Office. For a list of locations where you can purchase special recreation permits for these two trail systems, go to:
Permit vendors for Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap Trail System
Permit vendors for South Pedlar ATV Trail System
Two designated ATV trails are free. These are Rocky Run Trail in Rockingham County west of Harrisonburg and Patterson Mountain ATV Trail System in Botetourt County north of Roanoke. For more information about all of these motorized trails, visit our designated motorized trails page.

So where can we get these?also is there anywhere to shoot?got a couple new guns i built i need to test

Wow, so many questions.

JD, you can shoot anywhere you want to. I would ask that you dont shot while we are running the trail, cause I will be taking my dog and she gets scared around guns, thunder and fireworks. Also, you can shoot at Spikes.

I do not think that you need a perrmit. It has been a couple of years, but there ws no signage and last time I checked no permit was required.

Lbarr, Yes it is the same trail. It has gotten a little more torn up, but if you choose the easy line it is still not to bad.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...George/maps_brochures/20080207-mvum-final.pdf

so whos all in for this?

I should be able to go now it looks like. Moving the weekend prior but should have most of the work done. Probably just come up for Saturday wheeling though.

Hey Wills05XLT4x4 did you decide on those Duratracs?

I should be able to go now it looks like. Moving the weekend prior but should have most of the work done. Probably just come up for Saturday wheeling though.

Hey Wills05XLT4x4 did you decide on those Duratracs?

I would really like to but considering my wife's car needs tires in my taurus need a windshield I'm thinking I'm gonna get a set of treadwright guard dogs... 109.99 each vs 200.99 for the duratrac@

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, so many questions.

JD, you can shoot anywhere you want to. I would ask that you dont shot while we are running the trail, cause I will be taking my dog and she gets scared around guns, thunder and fireworks. Also, you can shoot at Spikes.

I do not think that you need a perrmit. It has been a couple of years, but there ws no signage and last time I checked no permit was required.

Lbarr, Yes it is the same trail. It has gotten a little more torn up, but if you choose the easy line it is still not to bad.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...George/maps_brochures/20080207-mvum-final.pdf

Hahah yea im bringing my dog to and if you even honk a horn he runs;)

Back