George Washington Nation Forest Run, 9/24/11 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

George Washington Nation Forest Run, 9/24/11

These are the only pics I can find right now. They are from a trip in Spring 2006.

pic 1 is near the end of the trail, the biggest creek crossing

pic 2 is an easy section of the trail

pic 3 is a better representation of the first 2/3s of the trail

pic 4 is tthe end of the trail at Bald Knob on the Blue Ridge Parkway

I will see if I can find some other pics

Attachments

• june2006stonyRUN 016.jpg
    june2006stonyRUN 016.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 248
  • june2006stonyRUN 018.jpg
    june2006stonyRUN 018.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 242
  • june2006stonyRUN 020.jpg
    june2006stonyRUN 020.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 254
  • june2006stonyRUN 022.jpg
    june2006stonyRUN 022.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 255

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll be bringing my dog again also she doesn't like guns but she will get over it lol

I'll be bringing my dog again also she doesn't like guns but she will get over it lol

O yea it will be a planned shoot not like im just shootn guns off like wild bill

O yea it will be a planned shoot not like im just shootn guns off like wild bill

I may bring a few what you bringing I may just bring the s&w .40

I just built some guns.im going to bring my ak. 308 and my ak.223 and maybe some other little ones but those two need to be tested and shot;)

I just built some guns.im going to bring my ak. 308 and my ak.223 and maybe some other little ones but those two need to be tested and shot;)

Sweet I'd love to try them out I've been wanting a .308 AK

Okay, so I'm going to ask for the 24th off at the beginning of next week...

As I've only been working with these guys for a couple weeks.. we'll see how THAT goes :p:

Okay, so I'm going to ask for the 24th off at the beginning of next week...

As I've only been working with these guys for a couple weeks.. we'll see how THAT goes :p:

Got plenty of notice time.

I'm DEFINATELY going i would really like to make two days of it bieng its so far away its too much driving for one day to go ride and come home (7-8+hrs driving total)want to camp trying to get a few more to camp also... HINT HINT
-Edit this is a pic of id assume one of the tougher spots though it really isnt but a susp test
http://www.core4x4.org/PhotoGallery/albums/2006/07-01-06_Stoney_Run/2500327980064766237Pcugum_ph.jpg

So what's the plan for camping?wanna camp Fri or just sat?and where?i say just camp at the lake/park so it would be a good spot for everyone to met up at.

I should be able to go now it looks like. Moving the weekend prior but should have most of the work done. Probably just come up for Saturday wheeling though.

Hey Wills05XLT4x4 did you decide on those Duratracs?

Man that's a far drive and then to wheel all day and drive back same day.me and will are camping and prob xeek. You should just stay one night and hang out

The exit off 64 is just past or right at Afton Mountian, just past Charlottesville. Then it is like a 10-minute to Coal Road, which is very close to Shrando Lake. The trail head is 7.0-miles down Coal Road (graded gravel). IMO the best place to camp is like 1/4 to 1/2mile up the trail, it is rough camping it is in the Forest.

Day tripping from the west side of Richmond is not to bad, about 6 to 7-hours riding total.

You can camp at Shrando Lake (State), or Misty Mountian Campground (private), and they have cabins.

Saturday, we were planning to camp at Spikes place in Nelson County. He has a well, some trails, and the James River. Although, if you plan to run Shoe Creek on Sunday, you may want to camp at the end of Stoney Run. There are some good campsites there.

The exit off 64 is just past or right at Afton Mountian, just past Charlottesville. Then it is like a 10-minute to Coal Road, which is very close to Shrando Lake. The trail head is 7.0-miles down Coal Road (graded gravel). IMO the best place to camp is like 1/4 to 1/2mile up the trail, it is rough camping it is in the Forest.

Day tripping from the west side of Richmond is not to bad, about 6 to 7-hours riding total.

You can camp at Shrando Lake (State), or Misty Mountian Campground (private), and they have cabins.

Saturday, we were planning to camp at Spikes place in Nelson County. He has a well, some trails, and the James River. Although, if you plan to run Shoe Creek on Sunday, you may want to camp at the end of Stoney Run. There are some good campsites there.
Who is we?and who is spikes?im wanting to go up Fri and set up camp first before wheeling.im not wanting to camp on the trail and really don't wanna set up camp Fri and move camp sites on sat but would like for all of us to camp together.im thinking the lake would be best.

Do you know the exit #? how about a lat/long for the meetup point...at the trailhead maybe?

Man that's a far drive and then to wheel all day and drive back same day.me and will are camping and prob xeek. You should just stay one night and hang out

Not too bad a drive for us in N.VA, about the same time as from Richmond. I might bring out some camping gear in case plans change though.

wow. jd assuming im going :p
id say what, 150 miles up there? richmond is 100, and i know this place isnt that far from there.

i dont really want to bring the diesel, its way to large for this crap. and i bought the diesel to tow the exploder for this kind of stuff.

if i can get my new tires on the diesel and sell the old set in time to get 3.73s and shocks to put the exploders 4" front lift on, i can do it. if i cant then i dunno

if i can get my new tires on the diesel and sell the old set in time to get 3.73s and shocks to put the exploders 4" front lift on, i can do it. if i cant then i dunno

then when we get there we'll pop the front driveshaft and put it in 4lo

the gears aint nothin, jds old ones :p
the lift and getting shocks are what im worried about. i have the lift in the living room and i dont have shocks yet

what are theese "shocks" you speak of ive never needed one on my truck lol
-edit all i should have is the 1.5 body lift and 32's and ill most likely have the sway bars unhooked

what are theese "shocks" you speak of ive never needed one on my truck lol
-edit all i should have is the 1.5 body lift and 32's and ill most likely have the sway bars unhooked
what are sway bars? :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the gears aint nothin, jds old ones :p
the lift and getting shocks are what im worried about. i have the lift in the living room and i dont have shocks yet

jd, to even try to make this, im gonna need your help with the lift

I thought you said you was in for this till i looked back over it and didn't see you posting so i texted you.you don't need any of this stuff to go.im going in two wheel;)i was just joking around about you bring the diesel to drag me up the trail,that was before i was going or seen pics of the trail.

Back