Tin Roof Rain noise. | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tin Roof Rain noise.

Seen a 2012 X at my dealer and did my drum test on 2012,2011, and my X. You will hear some background noise from passing traffic and air tools in the shop.

2011 on the lot.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/batman8989/?action=view&current=MOV00077.mp4

2012 on the lot.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/batman8989/?action=view&current=MOV00076.mp4

My 2011 with my modification at the dealer waiting to have V2.11 installed. Love :) my quiet X. Must note I do get some road noise on some highways.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/batman8989/?action=view&current=MOV00078.mp4

Sorry, don,t have any test equipment to measure and compare the Db levels. Use your un-calibrated ear to hear the difference.

I cant access photobucket from work. Was the issue resolved in the 2012?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I own 2012 Explorer, here is my take on this rain noise issue(I posted this response in another thread, so I am cut/pasting here):

Okay, I tried this(tapping the roof above windshield) and I suppose it sounds the same. Not sure if I notice much of a difference pre-fix and post-fix. We have some real rain now, so I took my explorer out to give it a real test. Guess what? I can hear rain noise. But let me qualify that but saying I was focused and specifically listening for this. I dont think I ever tried to focus on rain noise. Yeah, I can hear rain noise, sounds more pronounced when stopped as opposed to driving and it sounded louder from the rear as opposed to above the windshield which is what I believe the problem area was. But to be honest with you it really is not all that distracting. Its definitely not remotely noticeable with the radio on low volume or talking to someone. I dont think the cabin is designed to be sound proof. If I mute my TV right now and focus...I can hear rain noise on the roof of my house. I dont see what all the fuss is about. I would not consider this a "real" problem in my opinion.

I guess we all have different levels of what we find acceptable.

I don't exactly think it's acceptable for a $50K Automobile to sound like a double-wide in a hail storm when it's exposed to a light sprinkling of rain.

I doesn't appear that I'm the only one.

I don't exactly think it's acceptable for a $50K Automobile to sound like a double-wide in a hail storm when it's exposed to a light sprinkling of rain.

I guess I stand alone then, I am cool with that. I have happy to drive my Explorer, rain or not. A light sprinkle of rain sounding like a double-wide in a hail storm? Funny, but grossly exaggerated since with light rain there is simply no rain noise. Hard rain, yeah, you can hear rain noise if that is what you want to listen to. Come to think of it, since reading this thread, now in my other car I can hear rain noise...where I never noticed it before. I would imagine rain noise is not exclusive to the Ford Explorer. Automobile passenger cabins are not designed to be sound proof. Show me a car, any car that you "can't" hear rain noise.

I own 2012 Explorer, here is my take on this rain noise issue(I posted this response in another thread, so I am cut/pasting here):

Okay, I tried this(tapping the roof above windshield) and I suppose it sounds the same. Not sure if I notice much of a difference pre-fix and post-fix. We have some real rain now, so I took my explorer out to give it a real test. Guess what? I can hear rain noise. But let me qualify that but saying I was focused and specifically listening for this. I dont think I ever tried to focus on rain noise. Yeah, I can hear rain noise, sounds more pronounced when stopped as opposed to driving and it sounded louder from the rear as opposed to above the windshield which is what I believe the problem area was. But to be honest with you it really is not all that distracting. Its definitely not remotely noticeable with the radio on low volume or talking to someone. I dont think the cabin is designed to be sound proof. If I mute my TV right now and focus...I can hear rain noise on the roof of my house. I dont see what all the fuss is about. I would not consider this a "real" problem in my opinion.

The rain noise is there and it's very distracting. It doesn't come from the rear, it's the 6 inch slant right above the windshield. Our EX was purchased on a rainy evening. The vehicle was parked under a cover at the dealer. When we got in it to drive away, the first thing we did was look at each other with our eyeballs popping out of our heads and in unison said.. "What the he## is that noise".. It's definitely there and it's an issue .. It sounds exactly like rain on a tin roof.. and it's LOUD..

The rain noise is there and it's very distracting. It doesn't come from the rear, it's the 6 inch slant right above the windshield. Our EX was purchased on a rainy evening. The vehicle was parked under a cover at the dealer. When we got in it to drive away, the first thing we did was look at each other with our eyeballs popping out of our heads and in unison said.. "What the he## is that noise".. It's definitely there and it's an issue .. It sounds exactly like rain on a tin roof.. and it's LOUD..

Go in your car and have somone aim a hose into the air to make it rain. Record the sound with your phone then do the same thing in another car.

Lets compare the two sound files.

To each their own. It is not LOUD in my 2012. Maybe Ford did something different on the 2012's, I dont know. But for me its not a problem at all and I did not notice the 'noise' until reading about it here. If it is an issue, did you bring it back to the dealer? Did they do anything? Just curious if you had the issue addressed.

To each their own. It is not LOUD in my 2012. Maybe Ford did something different on the 2012's, I dont know. But for me its not a problem at all and I did not notice the 'noise' until reading about it here. If it is an issue, did you bring it back to the dealer? Did they do anything? Just curious if you had the issue addressed.

I believe Ford started spraying Foam in the particular area for MY 2012.

To be honest, I've only heard the noise sporadically in the 3 months I've owned the car despite being in downpours. It seems that a certain size and velocity of raindrop causes it.

For those that have this problem, have you actually complained to your dealer? I see a lot of people on this thread saying they are waiting for a fix, but how do you know there isn't one until you go to a dealer? Also, the more people complain the more seriously Ford will take the issue.

Find a way to reproduce it at the dealer - get a hose and spray the affected area.

+1

All it would take is some stick on sound matting, or acoustic spray foam to resolve.

I confirmed for 2012 MY they are spraying acoustic foam up there to deaden the sound.

So Ford please don't blow off the loyal 2011 owners and put out a TSB on this so we don't have to re-explain to the clueless service techs at the dealership.

How are you getting them to do that? I did the "tap test" just above the windshield on a 2012 on Wednesday at the dealership and it had the same tin sounds as the 2011.

+1

All it would take is some stick on sound matting, or acoustic spray foam to resolve.

I confirmed for 2012 MY they are spraying acoustic foam up there to deaden the sound.

So Ford please don't blow off the loyal 2011 owners and put out a TSB on this so we don't have to re-explain to the clueless service techs at the dealership.

How are you getting them to do that? I did the "tap test" just above the windshield on a 2012 on Wednesday at the dealership and it had the same tin sounds as the 2011.

I asked the Chief Platform Engineer on the Explorer Program about the issue and that's what he advised was the new fix for late build 2011's and 2012's

I asked the Chief Platform Engineer on the Explorer Program about the issue and that's what he advised was the new fix for late build 2011's and 2012's

Mine was build in early May and it has the problem. It must have been very late 2011.

I fixed mine with foam and sound proofing material. No more rain noise from the area above the windshield.

Look at post #281 for "tap test" comparison between 2012, 2011 and my modified X.

Look at post #281 for "tap test" comparison between 2012, 2011 and my modified X.

the MY 2012 doesn't sound fixed to me!

Again, if we all take our explorers in and complain - Ford will have NO choice but to fix it. I bet some dealers will know how to do it!

I fixed mine with foam and sound proofing material. No more rain noise from the area above the windshield.

I was thinking about the same fix but was a little afraid to drop the headliner, then it never goes back as good as it did from the factory.

Was it difficult?

Can we have Cory actually confirm there fixing it on the line and when did they start.

I've been running a piece of 3M clear film over the area and I think its helps to some degree to deaden the impact of the rain, though not as good as spraying foam inside. Its an easy exterior application without having to take the headliner down. I did open a ticket via Cory a few months back, the problem is the dealer at the time was looking for a TSB to help guide them in their resolution. They were not willing to experiment with stuff to get rid of the noise. So that was a few months back now Ford has figured something out for 2012 MY so why are they being so stupid and not issuing a TSB to help the 2011 owners that want this resolved. Personally between the A pillar, MFT, rain noise, squeaking brakes and streaky windows and no TSB to date I am very dissappointed at the lack of customer concern after the sale Ford has shown here. Its sad we have to fix our own issues with this vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking about the same fix but was a little afraid to drop the headliner, then it never goes back as good as it did from the factory.

Was it difficult?

I had some hail damage to the roof and the body shop technician dropped the headliner to repair the damage. Since he had the liner down, I was ready to try the ideas that came out of suggestion in this thread:thumbsup:. He was experienced in removing the headliner since he had worked on a number of 2011 Explorers prior to working on mine. I do want to note that the head liner is held up in by several magnetice in the center.

We filled the cavity with foam and installed some Dynamat which I showed in my previous post.

Want to think those on the forum that contributes ideas/suggestion to possible fixes to our 2011 Explores.

With Ford monitoring this site, hope they are paying attention to what Explorer owners are reporting and how they are dealing with the issues. This will help the engineers and programmers fix our vehicle, Sync/MFT hardware and software problems.

Back