George Washington Nation Forest Run, 9/24/11 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

George Washington Nation Forest Run, 9/24/11

i dont really want to drive it anymore with all that rake. i have the lift, buy some used shocks and used 373s. i can worry about the open axle and 1.5" spacers later.

im thinking of trying to have my 32s swapped onto my new wheels

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont really want to drive it anymore with all that rake. i have the lift, buy some used shocks and used 373s. i can worry about the open axle and 1.5" spacers later.

im thinking of trying to have my 32s swapped onto my new wheels

buy some jd shocks they are cheap.you got like 5weeks to do the lift and you have a dd.you just need to buy a grinder.im not going to be able to do my gears yet unless i get steady work for the next 5 weeks and even at that i dont just wanna do gears and not my locker.
$374 -4.88s and master install kit
+$249-front aussie locker without shipping
$623 just for gears and locker and thats not even with manual hubs or new u joint,your talking well into the $800 range!!!that i dont have laying around

im gonna get used 4" lift shocks. im sure someone has some.. and stock gears cant be hard to find. all cheap.
why a grinder? i thought it was all bolted? if you mean the radius arms, im 90% sure i have bolts and not rivits

how about the pivot arm brackets?i would really doubt you ra is all bolts.worst case you can just go get f150 seats and just throw them on,it will help with the rake and stock shocks would be fine

JD, Spike (fishfood) is the owner of the black Explorer in the pictures. He has a 10-acre parcel of land near Howardsville. He is building a house there. He has also cut some trails for 4x4 and ATVs. It also has several campsites on the property. His property is about 1/2-hour ride from Stoney Run.

I have to look up the exit #. We usually meet at a park and ride beside the interstate. There are a bunch of them. We could meet at a rest stop on 64, there are two between Richmond and Afton Mountian. With cell phones it is prety easy to coordinate.

Freddy, I would not recommend a full size on the trail because some sections are narrow (vegetation) and the switchbacks are preety tight. But I have full size rigs on the trail. Its just easyer in a smaller rig.

CRAP, just found out I am flying out early morning on the 24th of Sept for a work trip for 3 weeks.

Looks like I have to sit out another one :mad:

What!!just quit!!hahaha what do you do?i hear about you flying all over the place.would say it must be nice but not flying for work!well that sucks!!

What!!just quit!!hahaha what do you do?i hear about you flying all over the place.would say it must be nice but not flying for work!well that sucks!!

Lol! I need to play the lottery or something!

I work for the DoD. Lots of air travel...usually not too much short notice stuff but things change so I have to be flexible sometimes. I like the job and the money but they sure know how to mess up my weekend plans :D Too bad its not really the kind of job where I can get someone to cover for me if I want to take time off when they need me to go somewhere. At least the upside is that being government, they are pretty good about not needing me to work over holidays.

Someone should pm Rick and get this run stickied

Ehhh might want to run that by Mr. Stacey first.. maybe Unclemeat can get in touch with him. I'm not sure about how many people his personal land can accommodate if we wheel there as well :(

p.s. - IF I can go.. I can't wait to see his black Explorer again.. gaaaahh that thing is so purrtyy!

Ehhh might want to run that by Mr. Stacey first.. maybe Unclemeat can get in touch with him. I'm not sure about how many people his personal land can accommodate if we wheel there as well :(

p.s. - IF I can go.. I can't wait to see his black Explorer again.. gaaaahh that thing is so purrtyy!

Im pretty sure im camping at the lake.just closer and there will be other people there.im down to 4x2 anywhere we have permission to.but would like to shoot on personal property sense i have well over a grand in each firearm!!

same reason mud terrains don't work in snow.. small err.. tighter tread pattern is needed to compact/compress the snow/sand to get grip in it. Otherwise those easy clearing/cleaning tread patterns just dig straight down.

same reason mud terrains don't work in snow.. small err.. tighter tread pattern is needed to compact/compress the snow/sand to get grip in it. Otherwise those easy clearing/cleaning tread patterns just dig straight down.

Huh no mud terrians work great in snow!!and yea muds aren't the best for sand but that's not y i sunk its 4x2!!:rolleyes:

JD I would not feel bad about not being able to coast over the sand at the entrance of Oregon Inlet. When I was down there a couple weeks after you guys, I saw several 4x4 have trouble, and I even had to air down to 20 psi to bet through it. It got so rough that I got axle hop in anything but low rang 1st gear.

I made it to the beach but got stuck when i stop and was turning around.but im locked and 14.50 and was aired down to 15

I made it to the beach but got stuck when i stop and was turning around.but im locked and 14.50 and was aired down to 15

Just went out at Oregon inlet an hour ago and I almost got stuck coming back out but I didn't air down...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just went out at Oregon inlet an hour ago and I almost got stuck coming back out but I didn't air down...

Almost?;) so what's up with camping for this trip?when and where you trying to camp?

Back