The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside...

1493991639_photobucket_83884_.jpghttp:

35x15.50 15's. all for one yugoslavian SKS, that i bought for 180 bucks, score

Nice snag on the big meats, now you see how useful firearms can be!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah its good to have a grip of guns around the house, my cousin is a wheeler dealer on craigslist, what he does is buys a bunch of old snowmobiles in the spring and summer, then he gets them running and posts them on clist in the early winter, I guess people will trade a good hunting rifle for a junk old snowmobile for their kids to run around on, last time I was over there he had 12-15 hunting rifles in the safe haha, then he trades them for other random crap, thats how he got his BII, and his motorcycle, so on and so forth.

anyway its going to be awesome to have those on the BII hopefully they are bearable to drive on the street, i never wanted this thing to be a trailer queen, but I can put up with a fair bit as far as driving goes, the last 3 cars ive driven have been freebies including my current 91 honda crx, good mileage

yeah its good to have a grip of guns around the house, my cousin is a wheeler dealer on craigslist, what he does is buys a bunch of old snowmobiles in the spring and summer, then he gets them running and posts them on clist in the early winter, I guess people will trade a good hunting rifle for a junk old snowmobile for their kids to run around on, last time I was over there he had 12-15 hunting rifles in the safe haha, then he trades them for other random crap, thats how he got his BII, and his motorcycle, so on and so forth.

anyway its going to be awesome to have those on the BII hopefully they are bearable to drive on the street, i never wanted this thing to be a trailer queen, but I can put up with a fair bit as far as driving goes, the last 3 cars ive driven have been freebies including my current 91 honda crx, good mileage

Trading is God's gift to those who dislike big government. Paying retail and/or using credit for everything is the sure way to stay flat broke and not have anything either. 'sides that barter is just plain fun. I got my 35"x12.5" swampers and steel rims in a swap and I truly beleive the other guy got the best of me value wise, but I got what I needed and got rid of something I didn't need and was in my way. Don't know about the mileage or wear your going to get daily driving, but I know you will get some real fun out of them and they are going to look great!

Love the barter system, makes the world go round, and guns are good bk they retain value. Thankfully im not going to be dd'ing this thing, I've got a Honda for that, in fact that's what precipitated the start of modifying the bronc, didn't have to DD it. I will be driving this in the hills and to some closer trails, and im planning on putting weld on beadlocks on it as well. Prob gonna be a slow and easy situation

1493991639_photobucket_84328_.jpg

filled the gap on the end of my doubler box with a peice of the half inch plate and some JB weld, now i need to figure out drain and fill holes. i could drill and Heli-coil it but the Heli-coils in like 7/16 or 1/2 are pretty dang expensive i think, or i was thinking about cutting the threaded sections out of the back of the old case and JB welding them in, thoughts on that? wish i had a tig welder, that decision would already be made if that was the case.

filled the gap on the end of my doubler box with a peice of the half inch plate and some JB weld, now i need to figure out drain and fill holes. i could drill and Heli-coil it but the Heli-coils in like 7/16 or 1/2 are pretty dang expensive i think, or i was thinking about cutting the threaded sections out of the back of the old case and JB welding them in, thoughts on that? wish i had a tig welder, that decision would already be made if that was the case.

I have a lot of respect for JB weld product, but it does not compare in strength or durability to a good weld... tig. I understand your desire to economize but will you really trust your doubler if you cut corners. Somebody up there has got to have an ac-dc tig in the 200 +amp range & it shouldn't cost much if you have everything fitted and setup to weld at one time. I've made a living for many years from metal work and it is amazing what I have seen people do that actually worked for years until it broke, usually at the worst possible time and sometimes with catastrophic consequences. H. coils aren't that expensive (less you are forced to buy a set)

well for the block off plate I'm going to drill and tap it and put 2 bolts in from the other side after the jb weld is fully cured, I looked up the heli-coils and they aren't as much as i thought, guess ill pick up a heli-coil kit for the drain and fill holes. and yeah your right don't want to skimp on the doubler, but I'm not super worried on the block off plate because its not going to see an pressure

I have a lot of respect for JB weld product, but it does not compare in strength or durability to a good weld... tig or spool. I understand your desire to economize but will you really trust your doubler if you cut corners. Somebody up there has got to have an ac-dc tig in the 200 +amp range & it shouldn't cost much if you have everything fitted and setup to weld at one time. I've made a living for many years from metal work and it is amazing what I have seen people do that actually worked for years until it broke, usually at the worst possible time and sometimes with catastrophic consequences.

Yeah I think your good on the block plate especially if you heavily scored the two sufaces before bonding. Sorry about the double post not sure what I did wrong?

Yeah I think your good on the block plate especially if you heavily scored the two sufaces before bonding. Sorry about the double post not sure what I did wrong?

LOL I was wondering how you did that my own self. good deal on the block off plate i figured it would prob be ok though

Jeep hub

Bummer on your friends Jeep and not an expense free outing..don't mean to jack your thread but since I'm going 4.88 I won't use the 35 in the Explorer I'll pull the 35 in the Bronc and use it for the new gear set as it already has a lock right in it...no Lincoln lock, just save the Ex. 35 for a spare or next build. Hows your doubler coming along?

don't mean to jack your thread but since I'm going 4.88 I won't use the 35 in the Explorer I'll pull the 35 in the Bronc and use it for the new gear set as it already has a lock right in it...no Lincoln lockQUOTE]
your my hero good thinking.

well yeah Joe doesn't listen to anyone but joe, its just a wagoneer dana44, he had 2 extra hubs with him, something tells me he might have planned for this... lol. yeah it was an awesome trip, the Jk we just got done building needed a work out so we took him out there. its all BLM open so we can get crazy in the lava rock that stretches as far as the eye can see, this truck is my buddies its name is horton,
1493991639_photobucket_86003_.jpg

this is a guy who has been building this truck for years and years
1493991639_photobucket_86004_.jpg

it was a hell of a day, overcast so not to hot, only one breakage, it was a good one.

I can't help it gotta show this one, this is the JK we did gears and lift on, oddly enough one of the smaller rigs w a 3 inch lift and 35's
1493991639_photobucket_86006_.jpg

Great pics. Did the red jeep make it down alright?
I've read on other sites about using the JB technique.
I've never built a doubler, but just wondering, is there a way of attaching a solid steel support from bolt hole to bolt hole on the outside of the JB welded part?

we really carefully spotted the rubicon through, it was his first time 4wheeling ever, he took that rig to moab stock and ran around the "trails" that are like dirt roads, but never needed 4low or his lockers. the other red jeep is point and shoot, he went where he wanted to go lol.

ive actually been thinking about building a second crossmember that bolts to the doubler plate, right now the part that is jb welded in is just to seal the doubler case, still have to build the adapter plate that both cases mount to. but yeah we are def on the same page there.

Horton

Give your buddy a thumbs up from me on his "Horton" just looks like it can crawl, good photo work and you guys got some awesome rock to play in!

Give your buddy a thumbs up from me on his "Horton" just looks like it can crawl, good photo work and you guys got some awesome rock to play in!

Jon told me he posted pictures of my junk up here so I will just thanks a ton.

Horton is very basic and works very well. I appreciate the props.

BTW my 3 yr old daughter named him:D

Jon told me he posted pictures of my junk up here so I will just thanks a ton.

Horton is very basic and works very well. I appreciate the props.

BTW my 3 yr old daughter named him:D

Freakin chebby guys posting on this board, whats the world coming to these days!? jk Horton rocks, I even talked Eric into letting me drive, he prob let me bk he was too far away from the rig since he was spotting lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back