Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

No TSB to fess up to a problem,imagine the cost to replace the part on all that were made. So far I am very disappointed in Ford in addressing this and the many other problems. 2011 owners got screwed with this model year.

There is a TSB. It's old and I assume it's been extended. My build date was 03/23/11 and it was covered under TSB that was extended from a previous date. Replace gaskets in April and just the other day heard it again (buzzing, not rattle) right A pillar.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No TSB to fess up to a problem,imagine the cost to replace the part on all that were made. So far I am very disappointed in Ford in addressing this and the many other problems. 2011 owners got screwed with this model year.

A TSB does not force Ford to replace all the parts out there, that would be a recall - normally only done for safety issues, ie. gas tanks falling off. A TSB merely lets service departments know that "Hey, we know this issue exists, here's what to do if someone comes in with it."

So today I went in to the Dealership with my X and showed them the missing A-Pillar applique.

You can actually see the plastic clips that failed still stuck on the A-Pillar. Looking at the design the applique was stuck on with not only little plastic clips but double sided tape and at the bottom some velcro. WTF?......is this a vehicle or an art project?

They confirmed as Janskim said earlier, there is NO TSB on this A-Pillar issue. (rediculous IMHO)

There is a Special Service Message out, but just as the last post explains it doesnt force the dealer to do anything.

I grabbed the part numbers off this thread thanks to another member who had them all replaced and they are looking into ordering those same parts but I could be in for a fight.

I think best option (as someone earlier suggested) show up at the dealership with both A-Pillar appliques missing and then they have to order the newer updated part.

Velcro is not something to be laughed at. There are some industrial versions that can be used for extreme applications like holding on bumpers. You won't find it at home depot.

I would expect a perm fix by now, kind of agree with Sgt1411, Velcro and double stick tape, yes WTF, it's not that Velcro is bad, but its adhered to a surface and heat is the worst thing for something that takes direct air pressure while moving. In previous thread, what was the engineer thinking when he designed this part, or was not?

Took in the car yesterday and went for a ride with the lead technician. He informed me that it was not the typical A-pillar vibrating sound but some sort of sound emanating from somewhere from the right side of the car.

We were going to drive one of the other Explorers on the lot to compare with mine but he told me it wasn't necessary and that they would work on the car after hearing what he did.

Got a call today that one of Ford's field engineers was at this dealership today and overrode the technician I rode with and determined that no repair was necessary.

WTF is that about? They told me to come pick up my car and there is nothing they can do. I'm supposed to purchase a brand new Ford Fiesta tomorrow but for the life of me can't see doing it with this kind of customer service and the quality of the cars Ford is building.

My brand new Explorer was delivered to me with a broken strut right out of the factory and now this wind noise at less than 2000 miles? I took a huge risk purchasing an American car from Ford, (German and Japanese for my entire life), and now I can see why I shouldn't have.

What a shame as I really liked the car I thought I'd purchased.

Any advice out there on what can be done at this point?

A-pillar rattle

I had the annoying a-pillar noise for several months (have had my explorer since jan 02) , finally supposedly got it fixed with the more reinforced gasket. It looked good, but as soon as i left the dealer on the way home, guess what, same noise.

so i did the same thing as another thread poster - went to auto parts store, bought atv gasket maker (type that can withstand heat) and put a small bead just under the gasket from top to bottom of pillar.

no more noise - done. sometimes just got to do it on your own. had my car in several times for this issue - one time they had it for almost a week.

now i just need a fix for the oily streaky windows i've had for 8 months.

I laugh in the face of VELCRO.

Velcro is not something to be laughed at. There are some industrial versions that can be used for extreme applications like holding on bumpers. You won't find it at home depot.

Velcro. Hahahahahahahaha. I laugh at velcro. Now is it mad at me. Funny Velcro. Hahahahahahahahaha Velcro. I laugh at velcro. Dirty filthy velcro.

Seriously? WTF!!!!!!! Here in Canada Eh! A fully loaded Ltd can reach up to 55k with taxes in and ****ty bartering skills. This is a terrible design flaw. I spit on the ground the engineer walks on. ****ty system. How much weight did they take off by using a plastic trim applique. Seriously. It saddens my heart.

Velcro. HAHAHAHAHAHA. It is something to be laughed at. :salute:

Velcro. Hahahahahahahaha. I laugh at velcro. Now is it mad at me. Funny Velcro. Hahahahahahahahaha Velcro. I laugh at velcro. Dirty filthy velcro.

Seriously? WTF!!!!!!! Here in Canada Eh! A fully loaded Ltd can reach up to 55k with taxes in and ****ty bartering skills. This is a terrible design flaw. I spit on the ground the engineer walks on. ****ty system. How much weight did they take off by using a plastic trim applique. Seriously. It saddens my heart.

Velcro. HAHAHAHAHAHA. It is something to be laughed at. :salute:

Bad day?

I am an auto glass technician and would like to give my .02 cents worth on this subject. First of all, last month I installed a new windshield in a 2011 EX. The install was easy but I did notice that the A-pillar moldings may be an issue because of their design. It is a 2 piece design. The first piece bolts to the a-pillar and the second piece snaps to it using small white clips. When I put the moldings back on, everything seemed to snap back in to place but a couple of weeks later, both pieces came off while the owner was driving. Needless to say, it didn't make me look good and the customer wasn't happy and I don't blame them. I thought I could just order the outer pieces since the others were bolted to the a-pillar but I had to get those too because that was the only way to get those new little white clips that held the outer pieces. I am sorry to ramble but this stupid design has cost me the business with my local Ford dealership because the lady who owned the EX griped and got her way and got a new EX after only a month with the first one. Reading this forum has let me know that there will be issues with these moldings and it gives me a sense of relief in a way. If you get your windshield replaced, make sure you get new moldings. BTW, the moldings cost me $300. I have been doing auto glass for 27 years and this experience with the 2011 EX hasn't been one of my fond memories in the glass business.

I ended up putting a bead of rtv gasket maker all across the top of the windshield. I couldn't take it anymore.

Did that Friday afternoon and haven't heard the whistle since. However, I haven't driven past ~60mph yet. I'll report back after a few highway miles.

Any idea why they went with plastic instead of metal anyway? Seems like every car has metal there right?

Was it to save on weight or costs?

If the answer is cost, in the end it'll end up costing them way more with all these repairs.

Any idea why they went with plastic instead of metal anyway? Seems like every car has metal there right?

Was it to save on weight or costs?

If the answer is cost, in the end it'll end up costing them way more with all these repairs.

It is a styling cue and it actually it is an additional manufacturing cost.

I had the annoying a-pillar noise for several months (have had my explorer since jan 02) , finally supposedly got it fixed with the more reinforced gasket. It looked good, but as soon as i left the dealer on the way home, guess what, same noise.

so i did the same thing as another thread poster - went to auto parts store, bought atv gasket maker (type that can withstand heat) and put a small bead just under the gasket from top to bottom of pillar.

no more noise - done. sometimes just got to do it on your own. had my car in several times for this issue - one time they had it for almost a week.

now i just need a fix for the oily streaky windows i've had for 8 months.

Can you describe how you that?

I looked into this and found that there is a service message that helps the dealer pinpoint the concern. If you experience this and would like my help, please be sure to PM me with your dealer’s information, VIN, approximate mileage, and your contact info.

Cory

Finally took a road trip with the Explorer and found that we have the infamous rattle as well.

The funny thing was that it is identical to the rattle that we had in our 2008 Escape, but we didn't get it fixed because it was a lease and never got around to it.

On the double sided tape / velcro issue, I wonder if the applique fell off when they were washing the vehicle like others have said and the dealer just tried to do an easy fix?

My limited has this rattle on the passenger side. Build date is 6/15. Argh, another thing to mention to dealer on Wednesday.

I had this posted in another thread.

Well, we got our EX back from the dealer. They fixed the paint (repainted the rear QTR panel) it looks great. got the sycn fixed, and fixed the popping sound when turning.

The main reason they car went in was for the wind noise. So after almost 2 weeks in the shop, we got the car back...and today we got to test it out on the highway...not only is the wind noise still there, its actually worse.

I left a vm with our ford rep and will wait for a call back on Monday. Here is a short video of the noise.

Here is another.

The EX is back at the dealer tonight but couldn't get a test drive in....I am taking a half day off to head back there on Tuesday.

Starting to get worn out on this. The above videos are after 2.5 weeks at the dealership already. Ex has 1100 miles on it.

Got my Ex back from the dealer today.

Had all four A-Pillar (smaller rubber and large plastic applique) mouldings replaced on both sides of the windshield. Seems quieter but time will tell.

Thanks to those who posted the correct part numbers here because my dealer didnt know and I had to spoon feed them so they got the correct parts ordered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My limited has this rattle on the passenger side. Build date is 6/15. Argh, another thing to mention to dealer on Wednesday.
harlenm,
I saw your message regarding this noise and I sent you back a reply. Please check your inbox for the details.

...The main reason they car went in was for the wind noise. So after almost 2 weeks in the shop, we got the car back...and today we got to test it out on the highway...not only is the wind noise still there, its actually worse...
Rollingrock,
I made sure that you will be called about this before the end of the day today.

Cory

Back