• Register Today It's free!

Brake Controller Plug and Wiring

Ry-guy

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT w/ tow package
Hello everyone. We just purchased our 2011 Explorer with the intention of towing. It has the tow package but I need to put in a brake controller. Unfortunately I am unable to find any information on how or where the brake controller may plug in. The unit is already wired at the back with the seven pin plug. Is there some where under the dash that a brake controller would plug into? If so where is it located? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone. We just purchased our 2011 Explorer with the intention of towing. It has the tow package but I need to put in a brake controller. Unfortunately I am unable to find any information on how or where the brake controller may plug in. The unit is already wired at the back with the seven pin plug. Is there some where under the dash that a brake controller would plug into? If so where is it located? Thanks.

I saw elsewhere that the wires are just under the dash, near the console. Since I'm new to towing but will look to do some if I get an Explorer, what controller did you get, and why exactly do you need it and what does it do?

Thanks!

I have a Tekonsha electronic brake contoller to install once I find out how or where the wiring is at. The purpose for the brake controller is to activate the trailer brakes when the brakes are activated in the vehicle.

It would have been nice if the Explorer tow package included the integrated brake controller like the F-150. I really like a clean ****pit, and brake controllers are an ugly box tacked to the trim.

I got the Prodigy P2 installed at Camping World. There is a plug for it under the dash on the drivers side. Works great.

Maybe it's me, but for the life of me I cannot find that plug under the dash!! I also checked the thread that DCO43054 posted and it sounds like it is supposed to be above the left leg on the drivers side, but I cannot find anything. Is it possible for someone to post a picture of where the plug is located under the dash? I also have an after market car started installed which is kind of in the way as well. A picture would be useful for future reference as well for others. Thanks guys!

Ok I finally figured this one out! The donuts from the dealership put a plug in it the pick up power for the car starter! Needless to say I am taking it back to the dealership to get that one fixed! Thanks to everyone who had suggestions and offered help on this!

Brake controller connector

Hi,
Sorry if this is a dumb question, Im not very "car saavy"....
I have a 2011 explorer AWD limited with the tow package, it it wired up with a 7-pin wire and what-not.. Ive bought everything I need to tow my trailer (3200lbs) but I need to get a brake controller. I will buy an electric one, probably a prodigy or something...

My question is, where to I connect it? is the truck pre-wired for this already? is there a simple attachment hanging somewhere that I need to plug this thing into?

Thanks,
eg

Yes, there is a connector under the dash right by the e-brake pedal. I have the Prodigy P3 and it's been a great brake controller, I definitely recommend it or the P2. Get the Ford harness with it and you'll have it installed in minutes.

Yes, there is a connector under the dash right by the e-brake pedal. I have the Prodigy P3 and it's been a great brake controller, I definitely recommend it or the P2. Get the Ford harness with it and you'll have it installed in minutes.

Thanks very much!

there is another thread that goes into this in detail. Search on brake controller and I'm sure you will find it.

The towing set up has to be one of the cleanest factor installs I have ever seen.

The towing set up has to be one of the cleanest factor installs I have ever seen.

It would be if the brake controller was integrated like the F150. Unfortunately you have to screw in the controller box somewhere.

Has anyone towed a boat trailer with surge brakes? Our ex is being built today, so haven't had a chance to play with it. I know the tow package has the 4 and 7 pin connector, I have an adapter that goes from the 7 to 5 wire (boat trailer with surge brakes, deactivates when you put it in reverse=wire5) Do you know if the 7 wire plug on the ex has the reverse sense wire in it our do we need an additional jumper? My Dad's f150 did not need anything else.

YES, it will work. I know its a little late. But I had to figure this out on my own.

It would be if the brake controller was integrated like the F150. Unfortunately you have to screw in the controller box somewhere.
No screws required. Heavy duty Velcro is your friend.

I tried some regular duty stuff but it just didn't have quite enough grip.

I mounted the controller on the outboard side of the steering wheel with a standard Tekonsha metal U bracket. I mounted it almost all the way up to the little switch panel where the trailer tow button resides. Gives me plenty of clearance not to smack my knee on it as I get out.

No screws required. Heavy duty Velcro is your friend.

Forget velcro...you need 3M Dual Lock. That stuff is the cat's meow, especially for mounting stuff in cars. It doesn't have the wobble and wiggle of velcro.

Forget velcro...you need 3M Dual Lock. That stuff is the cat's meow, especially for mounting stuff in cars. It doesn't have the wobble and wiggle of velcro.
I'll take a look.

For now, the velcro is just fine. I adjusted the angle of the Tekonsha controller and the back edge rests against the lower dash panel. No wobble.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2012 Explorer - Brake controller plug location

Ok, just picked up our new 2012 Explorer with a factory tow package and I just order a Tekonsha P3 with the 2 plug adapter.

Does anyone know where the factory plug is under the dash?

Back