chop top 1 ton ex. | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

chop top 1 ton ex.

For Grinding I just throw on a pair of welding gloves. Works really well, and the higher gauntlet keeps it pretty much off my arms. That won't help when you need more dexterity, but it at least works well for grinding.

Heck, I keep 1 set of welding gloves in each vehicle since if I have to work on something on the side of the road (even change a tire) I tend to burn my hands. I can get a 3 pair pack of welding gloves from HFT for $10.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

subscribing, and stealing ideas. Keep up the good work cant wait to see this done.

Quality work. Good job. I'm hooked.

thanks guys, updates have been slow this week. ive been working on it but having trouble coming up with something i like for the front. still have a few idea's for something that will look decent.

i did pick up a few goodies this week. a 2000 PSD master cyl and hydro boost unit, the aluminum 3 inch intercooler tubing off the same truck to cut up and use for my intake since i have to redo it and a decent army style gerry can that will be mounted in the back.

things are slowing down a bunch as im broke trying to get everything ready for the baby, 7 weeks to go. the wife has been in alot of pain so ive been tryin to keep the house cleaned and our 3 year old daughter under control so i havent had alot of time to do much.

did some playing in the garage.

i picked up some original 89 toyota lights that came factory on the roll bar...for free.

figured id see if i could make them work.
af3271d3.jpg

838c33bc.jpg

1df002f6.jpg

dont pay attention to the grill, just hacked it up to get a look at it. ill be swapping over to a ranger grill as ive never been a fan of the expo grill.

you know im getting bored when i start taking shots of tabs lol
f423bd3a.jpg

and found this in the garage, was in my svo for a while. made it back when i was 16 but it may end up on the expo.
6fa1b32f.jpg

i like your idea for the headlights. the only suggestion i would have is getting long range driving lights instead of fog lights. or using both:D

i like your idea for the headlights. the only suggestion i would have is getting long range driving lights instead of fog lights. or using both:D

It won't be drove much on the road at night, hell I'm usually in bed by 8:30 lol

But there probably will be some other lights up front eventually, those were mainly to keep me legal and they sort of look oem so they should keep me out of trouble though around here they don't care much.

Great to see another 1 ton first gen!

i'm really digging this build. looking awesome so far, really clean work.

heres my 1 ton build thread. its a bit more redneck than yours tho. btw i used explorer rear leafs for the front springs. keeps things symmetrical that way too.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293768

cant wait to see your x progress. by far the best chop job ive seen.

thanks, ive read your thread.

i tried setting it up for explorer rear springs up front but i didnt like the way everything fit, the front eye had to hang way out and the rear eye ended up smack dab in the middle of my body mount. so it looks like ill be going to a toyota spring which will be much shorter but still just as flexy. they will pull my front spring eye back and up where it will be tucked up and the back eye will be in front of the body mount which should make things alot easier.

looks like ill be adding another explorer to the heard. driving down to nashville tn. this weekend to pick up a mint 96 5.0 4x4.

the wifes car is shot, so i figured it would be a nice upgrade.

Great to see another 1 ton first gen!

i'm really digging this build. looking awesome so far, really clean work.

heres my 1 ton build thread. its a bit more redneck than yours tho. btw i used explorer rear leafs for the front springs. keeps things symmetrical that way too.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293768

cant wait to see your x progress. by far the best chop job ive seen.

:thumbsup:I read your thread very carefully, you too have made ​​the very big and good work :hammer::hammer:
bravo
:cool:

- :exp::exp: -

thanks, ive read your thread.

i tried setting it up for explorer rear springs up front but i didnt like the way everything fit, the front eye had to hang way out and the rear eye ended up smack dab in the middle of my body mount. so it looks like ill be going to a toyota spring which will be much shorter but still just as flexy. they will pull my front spring eye back and up where it will be tucked up and the back eye will be in front of the body mount which should make things alot easier.

I ended up with the rear of the spring mount just behind the body mount and the front one does stick out too much (i destroyed my first set of leafs the first trip out by hitting the shackles into rocks and the springs got tweaked, replaced them, and one of the new ones is tweaked a little already now too)

a few other problems I've encountered is terrible bump steer, and my tires (37") hit the leaf springs limiting my turning radius. oh, and wheel hop (axle wrap)

so Im actually going to go to a coil sprung a 3 link front with panhard bar. that project hasn't started yet i'm still doing research (and saving my pennies). I'll be sure to update my build thread when that happens, but your project is moving so fast you'll probably be done by then.

:( I would like to ask a question off-topic please
I set up my lift

I wonder if I can remove the rear torsion bar for more movement of shock absorbers.

it is a risk to drive the truck on the road without the torsion bar
Thank you very much for your advices and explanation

I ended up with the rear of the spring mount just behind the body mount and the front one does stick out too much (i destroyed my first set of leafs the first trip out by hitting the shackles into rocks and the springs got tweaked, replaced them, and one of the new ones is tweaked a little already now too)

a few other problems I've encountered is terrible bump steer, and my tires (37") hit the leaf springs limiting my turning radius. oh, and wheel hop (axle wrap)

so Im actually going to go to a coil sprung a 3 link front with panhard bar. that project hasn't started yet i'm still doing research (and saving my pennies). I'll be sure to update my build thread when that happens, but your project is moving so fast you'll probably be done by then.
fast? i feel like im down to a slow slow crawl. the bending of the springs is why i decided to put my shackles in the back. and also to get the front stretch i need to keep a 40-42 tire out of the firewall at full stuff.

probably on into next year mine will get a 3 link up front on some coil overs or airshocks, but i like to try and play with different setups to see if i can make them work. ive never ran a set of leafs up front so i might as well see what i can make them do.
:( I would like to ask a question off-topic please
I set up my lift

I wonder if I can remove the rear torsion bar for more movement of shock absorbers.

it is a risk to drive the truck on the road without the torsion bar
Thank you very much for your advices and explanation

you cannot remove the torsion bar, it is what holds the vehicle up. if you pull it out the suspension will compress down to the bumpstops and have zero travel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup: 86 slo-vo Thank you very much for your answer;)

Back