Should I Pull The Pin; Pilot or Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I Pull The Pin; Pilot or Explorer?

soloxx

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer LTD
First thread here. Came aboard at the time I placed an order for a 2012 LTD with every option minus the second row buckets and polished wheels. The dealer got my $1k, and I'm fine with that. Word is, my Explorer will arrive in 10 days.

I've driven Honda Pilots for the past seven years. Absolutely no mechanical problems. This is the first American auto I'll have owned since 1972. But, listening to comments here, I wonder if it's the best choice. I guess I'm looking for some affirmation, and would like to ask some specific questions about aspects of the Explorer that I find outstanding with the Pilot... and not so.

1. (I ordered HID lamps on the LTD). I was never able to out-drive the Pilot's, and the driving lights are excellent. A real important issue for me. So, how are the Explorer's headlights and driving lights?

2. Ground clearance (8 versus 7") Any real-world issues in your experience?

3. Maintenance. The Pilot has no maintenance requirements beyond oil/filter/fluids up to 100k. Reliability and cost; What has been your experience with the Explorer?

4. Usability of the storage area. I've used my Pilot many times over the years as lodging (solo) when I trailer my motorcycle. How's the comfort level sleeping in the Explorer?

And the "not so"

1. I have leather seats in the Pilot, and they break down with cracks and creases very quickly (I'm 5'10", 205 lbs). How are the Explorer's?

2. Honda paint seems very fragile and thin. How about the Explorer?

3. Sound system. Honda has never met a audio system they couldn't screw up. Utter crap! Can I expect better in the Explorer?

So, that's it. But, these are some 'details' that matter to me over time. I buy my cars tend to only buy new when major improvements drive me to update.

Pardon the length of this introductory post. I'll appreciate any and all feedback.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. The HIDs are great, they light up and come up to temperature almost instantly.

2. Some people have removed the lower fairing below the bumper to increase ground clearance.

3. The Honda has a timing belt that requires replacement at 100K (IIRC) which is a $1000+ job. The explorer has a lifetime timing chain. I believe the spark plugs are the only 100K item.

4. Comfort is a personal call. I think it is very comfortable.

1. I have never had a problem with Ford Leather, even at 100K.

2. The EPA required formulas for paint have weakened everyone's paint. So far so good.

3. I wish for a little more clarity and better base response, but overall the Sony is very good. Honda has a long pround history of abysmal sound systems.

MFT is not perfect but it has worked fairly well. I have to restart my iPhone more often than the have problems with MFT. Entering address at the screen sucks, but voice seems to work fairly well and you can also send an address from Google maps by selecting "Send to car". Get in the car, check Sync services and it will download the address directly into the nav.

Well con grats ! The Explorer is a great vehicle great on gas,space,handleing,sound system, i it's awesome you will not regret the purchase. i love mine's and i come from a 2008 fully loaded CTS4 CADILLAC LTD EDITION the one i had thier was only 600 cars like that and for me the Explorer BLOWS IT AWAY IN ALL FEATURE, HANDLING,COMFORT,SOUND, SO TO YOU ALL I CAN SAY IS ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!!!

I love my 2011 Limited/4wd/302A/tow! I have have it for 3 months/5k miles.

The Explorer is using he same chip-resistant paint that was introduced on the Taurus. Some using the White Tri-Coat have said that they've had issues, but it is a special paint, that you won't have an issue with.

Here are a few videos- the first one, frankly, is incredible...

I will say that I don't have any door dings after 3 months (knock on wood). Maybe it is luck or maybe it is the paint.

I've owned Hondas and Acuras for about 12 years; Pilot and MDX was one of my short list trucks when I did my search in spring this year. I think others have answered your most of your detail questions, so I won't go into the same level of details.

Both trucks have good reputations, and are safe in their own rights. For me, the Explorer offered a number of extra safety features that just aren't on the Honda: BLISS, cross traffic, adaptive cruise, collision avoidance, and configurable screens in front of the driver.

You loose 1 seat in the Explorer (7 vs 8) but the seats are more comfortable and the audio is indeed much better than Honda's. The technology (beside what I described above) is way above Hondas, but it not as elegant and simple to use (I have 2 gens of Honda Navigation) and Ford's interface still has some quirkiness. The features are way more powerful than any truck I have found to date, and the software has an update feature.

I bought the Explorer reading that it would be as reliable as my Honda products. As I think it is as good (if not better) as Japanese and European competitors, buying American keeps jobs here for the right reasons.

The Explorer is using he same chip-resistant paint that was introduced on the Taurus. Some using the White Tri-Coat have said that they've had issues, but it is a special paint, that you won't have an issue with.

Here are a few videos- the first one, frankly, is incredible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYL8Zy5-Lv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXGMX2EAQKk

Mine got a chip the size of a grain of rice where the passenger side front door meets the front quarter panel just above the plastic trim. The good thing was that it didn't take off the primer. Just bought some touch up paint and put about 3 coats on and about 2-3 coats of a clearcoat that I bought online and if you look close you can see it, but you have to know where to look and get on your knees to see it.

First thread here. Came aboard at the time I placed an order for a 2012 LTD with every option minus the second row buckets and polished wheels. The dealer got my $1k, and I'm fine with that. Word is, my Explorer will arrive in 10 days.

I've driven Honda Pilots for the past seven years. Absolutely no mechanical problems. This is the first American auto I'll have owned since 1972. But, listening to comments here, I wonder if it's the best choice. I guess I'm looking for some affirmation, and would like to ask some specific questions about aspects of the Explorer that I find outstanding with the Pilot... and not so.

1. (I ordered HID lamps on the LTD). I was never able to out-drive the Pilot's, and the driving lights are excellent. A real important issue for me. So, how are the Explorer's headlights and driving lights?

3. Maintenance. The Pilot has no maintenance requirements beyond oil/filter/fluids up to 100k. Reliability and cost; What has been your experience with the Explorer?

4. Usability of the storage area. I've used my Pilot many times over the years as lodging (solo) when I trailer my motorcycle. How's the comfort level sleeping in the Explorer?

And the "not so"

1. I have leather seats in the Pilot, and they break down with cracks and creases very quickly (I'm 5'10", 205 lbs). How are the Explorer's?

3. Sound system. Honda has never met a audio system they couldn't screw up. Utter crap! Can I expect better in the Explorer?

So, that's it. But, these are some 'details' that matter to me over time. I buy my cars tend to only buy new when major improvements drive me to update.

Pardon the length of this introductory post. I'll appreciate any and all feedback.

Also consider that the Honda is due for a major redesign soon. Don't wanna have model year envy.

And the "not so"

I also notice you have the Limited. I do as well. Some of the features you cannot get in the Honda:

1.) adaptive cruise control (AWESOME!)
2.) self-parallel park (AWESOME!)
3.) Collision warning (AWESOME!)
4.) BLIS (AWESOME!)
5.) Rain sensing wipers
6.) Power fold Mirrors
7.) Power fold third row seats
8.) Cooled Leather Seats (AWESOME!)
9.) Remote Start (Standard)
10.) Keyless Entry and Push Button Start (AWESOME!)
11.) Adjustable pedals
12.) Hill descent control
13.) Inflatable second row seat belts

I also notice you have the Limited. I do as well. Some of the features you cannot get in the Honda:

1.) adaptive cruise control (AWESOME!)
2.) self-parallel park (AWESOME!)
3.) Collision warning (AWESOME!)
4.) BLIS (AWESOME!)
5.) Rain sensing wipers
6.) Power fold Mirrors
7.) Power fold third row seats
8.) Cooled Leather Seats (AWESOME!)
9.) Remote Start (Standard)
10.) Keyless Entry and Push Button Start (AWESOME!)
11.) Adjustable pedals
12.) Hill descent control
13.) Inflatable second row seat belts

I traded in a Pilot and don't regret it for a moment. All the above features are "Wow!" Paint is beautiful.

The biggest improvement I found, coming from an older Pilot, was the smooth and quiet ride. My old Pilot had so much road noise. The biggest thing you give up, in leaving Honda, is the reliability. With the Explorer I now know my Service Manager by name. I think they did so much new technology that they pushed it out too fast. I had an early build 2011, so hopefully your 2012 will have a good portion of my issues worked out.

I looked into Honda Pilot when I bought my 11 Edge, compared to limited explorer pilot is not a match, Honda has started to put cheaper interiors lately. Gas mileage on Honda is not that good, overall i think explorer is a better vehicle, and Ford has passed Honda in everything. My 2 cents.

All Hondas are noisy. We have has 2 Odysseys and they are both brutally noisy. Whenever my wife rides in my '05 F-150 she comments on how quiet it is. She only buys Hondas and I only buy Fords. Over the past 13 years my Fords are no less reliable than her Hondas have been. Ford has really done a great job recently with all of their vehicles.

All Hondas are noisy. We have has 2 Odysseys and they are both brutally noisy. Whenever my wife rides in my '05 F-150 she comments on how quiet it is. She only buys Hondas and I only buy Fords. Over the past 13 years my Fords are no less reliable than her Hondas have been. Ford has really done a great job recently with all of their vehicles.

The noisy Honda interior and the abysmal sound quality of the stereo are not a pleasant combinations.

InterestIng thread for me as we now own a 2010 Honda Pilot Touring Nav/RES 4wd and a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4wd. For me the Explorer wins hands down in exterior and interior styling. The ride is also quieter and smoother in the Explorer. The Honda interior has a ton of buttons but once you get used to the location, it isn't a big deal. The buttons all work quickly and the Nav is fully functional while driving. Also the USB interface in the Honda is easier to use and responds quickly.

My biggest complaint on the Explorer is the MFT. It is slow and quirky. The Nav functionality is also very limited while driving.

I got the DVD system in the Pilot only because the unit we found had it. I like it since you can control it from front (load DVDs in front). I did not opt for it with the Explorer. The option was expensive and it's essentially an add on since it is dealer installed. I will likely add one aftermarket for far less money. The Pilot also seems roomier inside even though it is slight smaller in exterior dimensions.

Thanks, and more thanks, and another question

Thanks to all for your opinions and insights. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now (I guess I need to go fire up my George Carlin and Lenny Bruce 8-tracks).

I'm not one to spend much time at the dealership, so I'd like to ask whether the rear door windows in the Explorer go all the way down? I like that feature on the Pilot. At the time I bought the Honda, it seemed to be the exception.

I am comparing the Explorer against the Pilot Touring, which comes with the DVD whether one wants it or not. I was able to avoid that with my LTD order; the only other option, beside rear buckets and polished wheels, I opted out of.

Again, thanks, and I'll appreciate any further advice and experiences.:thumbsup:

I'm not one to spend much time at the dealership, so I'd like to ask whether the rear door windows in the Explorer go all the way down? I like that feature on the Pilot. At the time I bought the Honda, it seemed to be the exception.

Yes, they go all the way down. It has the main window and then the mini fixed window behind it. Be advised, if you drive with all the windows down, you will get a severe buffeting sound like a helicopter.

Honda makes a solid, well built product that if taken care of will last forever.

The current model lacks the cutting edge technology in the Explorer because the Ex is a newer design. Some could argue we are paying the price for that bleeding edge technology but I still like it.

Might want to Google the next generation Pilot to see if theres anything out there that will give you a glimpse into whats to come.

Personally I find the Honda products, especially the Pilot, very unappealing when it comes to styling & appearance both inside and out.

But I think that's a personal choice for the buyer to make.

Yes, they go all the way down. It has the main window and then the mini fixed window behind it. Be advised, if you drive with all the windows down, you will get a severe buffeting sound like a helicopter.

I'm surprised, inasmuch as I've never experienced any buffeting in the Pilot when the first and second row windows are down. Whereas with just the front windows down it's a complete ear drum solo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I had it to do all over again, I would buy a 2-3 year-old used vehicle and drive it until the '13 or '14 model Explorer comes out with fixes for the problems. I've owned two first-year cars in the past and neither lived up to the "never buy a first year vehicle" reputation. The Explorer has.

Back