• Register Today It's free!

No Remote Start on the 2012 XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT V6
Hello Everyone,

I have been purusing the forum for sometime now, since we are seriously interested in the new X. The one thing I wanted on the XLT was the remote start to help cool the vehicle down here in Texas. Does anyone know why they decided to drop the remote start from the XLT model?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The remote start wasn't an option in the 2011 XLT either. I just got my XLT last week and I had to have the dealer install the remote start for me (it wasn't a factory option). It cost about $450 and is guaranteed for the life of the vehicle.

The factor remote start is only on the limited models and has never been on the xlt. You can get a remote start option from the dealer.

Thanks for the Replys. I thought that was an option when you built it on the Ford website, on the 202A package for the XLT.

Jack how does yours work with the A/C and Heat settings? Does it turn on the A/C settings that you had on when you last turned your vehicle off?

Thanks

There are actually several options that you can set for the remote start. You can set it to use your last settings when you left the car. Or you can use auto settings which determine the temp and defrost settings ( I think it uses 72 degrees as default). There is also a setting for it to rev the engine slightly for faster heating/cooling.

The only (very minor) dowside to the remote start is they give you a different remote which does not control the rear lift gate so I loose the option to open my power lift gate with the remote, unless I want to carry 2 remotes.

Thanks Jack. The remote for the remote start has the lock/unlock buttons on it though correct? I wasn't looking at getting the power liift gate.

Thanks

Thanks Jack. The remote for the remote start has the lock/unlock buttons on it though correct? I wasn't looking at getting the power liift gate.

Thanks

You'll get 2 new key fobs (4 button) with the remote start, that include lock/unlock. You will still get the factory 2 fobs also. They will still work.

Thanks for your help Jack. This is what I was looking for.

You may want to check. The remote start was an option, but was not available with the power lift gate.

Seems Ford only wants to give the Key Fob with the addtional remote start function on the Limited.

I wanted the power lift gate, so I will probably get the remote start installed when I go in for my first service.

2 fobs will be a bummer :(

You may want to check. The remote start was an option, but was not available with the power lift gate...
WilsonL,
I verified the factory option remote start is only available with the Limited model on the 2012MY Explorer. The dealer can install a remote start with a separate fob. If you have power liftgate, you will get a separate fob because of the limited number of buttons on the factory key fob.

Cory

The dealership I work at can install the remote start into the existing key. Just hit the lock button 3 times, I would check if your dealer has something similar.

The dealership I work at can install the remote start into the existing key. Just hit the lock button 3 times, I would check if your dealer has something similar.

That would be great. Can anyone confirm this?

That would be great. Can anyone confirm this?

Back