91-94 factory stereo wiring | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91-94 factory stereo wiring

If you're using an aftermarket head unit, your install should go pretty smooth. Just do as you planned and rewire the speakers. If you get a sub amp, then run a separate RCA signal wire to the sub amp from your head.

Now, if you have a remote factory amp (behind the back right panel) and you want to use it, Crutchfield sells an adapter for aftermarket decks. The adapter comes with RCA ends for your new aftermarket signal cable and the factory amp molex connecter to go into the amp.

Let me know how it went. -PS :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tbars4
Just wondering if this the wiring is coming from the amp/speakers?That the factory plug was cut as I have a similar question on ranger forums about this.Have a '93 ranger w/AM/FM/CD oem took a crap picked up a oem AM/FM cassette to replace and unknowling cut the amp/speaker 'block':rolleyes:Was wondering if I can still hardwire to keep oem cassette?

...Those are the in/outs at the head unit itself...I hope that helps...:dunno:

I'm trying to wire from speaker/ amp to replacement radio.CUT the big blue wire.may try rewiring plug but may have broken it in the removal TY for the help already

Getting the factory stereo out

All this is good to know as my speakers are not wired right at all, so I need to get the factory stereo out of my 1st gen explorer, how do you get the factory stereo out of the dash in the 1st gen explorer? There is enough people on here that have taken them out to rewire them so somebody knows how they come out. I have a manual coming some day soon but don't have it yet if it even has this in it, not sure about that.I did a search on here for this but this is about all that came up, anybody? I know how the later models come out as I had a ranger that used the U shaped things and it had the 4 holes to get it out, but this one has the faceplate that comes off and there isn't any holes like that in it. I'm not so sure this is the factory stereo, it's a Clarion DRB 2475.
Thanks, Al

I had to buy two wiring harness for my 1991 explorer to do the radio. I think I had to use the harness for 1991 and 97. I think the power and the sound were different from the plug only for the 1991. I don't know why it was different but it worked for me. The power plug [________]
and the speaker plug [_] in mine.

i ended up cutting the plug that has all the speaker wires up near the head unit, including the ground wire and we hooked the whole system up and everything sounded good... i tried to start the explorer and it wouldnt start. we thought the fuel pump had went out so we replaced that and it wasnt it.. we are now beginning to think that it is the engine computer because it when the wires got cut we think it blew a fuse..
any suggestions?

is this to solve the problem of not getting any sound cause that is my problem

...If you are installing a radio with factory wiring then yes, well probably...:scratch:

...One of the common things that gets missed is the blue wire connection but the info in the first post should help...

94 Ex Sport Speaker Colors

...i hope this might help the others who have a first gen X and someone had cut the stock stereo wiring harness's on their trucks as they did mine...
...on my 91 Project X, the wires were some what different than found on this link, but i suggest you look here also...;)
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/855.html

...These are the factory wire colors on my X......mine is one of the first X's made (01/91), so yours might be different so as always, follow this at your own risk...:D

Power wires :

ground = blk
12v ignition= yellow/blk stripe
12v constant= green/yellow stripe
dash dimmer= blue/red stripe
and the blue goes to power the factory amp...
red = unknown
yellow=unknown

Speaker wires found in grey wire harness:

left frt = 1)green and 2)white w/orange stripe
rt frt= 1)white w/red stripe and 2)orange
rt rear = 1)violet w/white stripe and 2)lite blue
lft rear= 1)lite blue w/dk blue stripe and 2)yellow

The speaker colors from a chopped (unknown) speaker wire harness out of a 1994 Ex Sport....

These are the colors found:

1 Dark Brown
1 Yellow

1 Purple/ white stripe
1 White/ Orange stripe

1 Light Blue/ Black stripe
1 Light Blue

1 White/ Red stripe
1 Light Green

Just adding this incase someone else find a discrepancy between model and year (Sport Vs 4 door, 91-94)

The speaker colors from a chopped (unknown) speaker wire harness out of a 1994 Ex Sport....

These are the colors found:

1 Dark Brown
1 Yellow

1 Purple/ white stripe
1 White/ Orange stripe

1 Light Blue/ Black stripe
1 Light Blue

1 White/ Red stripe
1 Light Green

Just adding this incase someone else find a discrepancy between model and year (Sport Vs 4 door, 91-94)

These colors match up to my Explorer's stock speaker wires. You wouldn't happen to know which are positive and which are negative would you?

well im going to try from what i learned here, but i have a standard 94 4 door 4x4 with a/c if that make's a difference.. i have an extra wire on each harness compared to my new(old) rampage deck. the power harness has a wire that is black w/ DK green stripe, and the speaker harness has what i take to be an unjacketed aluminum ground. any advice on bypassing them? are they needed?

..The link in the first post should steer you in the right direction..;)

checking polarity

you can check polarity on speakers with a 9volt battery tapping the wire on the terminals. when the + on the correct side the speaker will push out as it should.

well im going to try from what i learned here, but i have a standard 94 4 door 4x4 with a/c if that make's a difference.. i have an extra wire on each harness compared to my new(old) rampage deck. the power harness has a wire that is black w/ DK green stripe, and the speaker harness has what i take to be an unjacketed aluminum ground. any advice on bypassing them? are they needed?

Hey did you ever figure out what the black w/DK green stripe in the power harness do?

I am looking for a short and its leading me to radio or possible dome light problems. I have a 94 Limited 4dr 4x4. I am starting to think that wire might have to do with the factory alarm?

Man I hate wiring problems:mad:

Tbars your the man I cant begin to count how many of your posts I have used to build my project truck .... thank you very much for your help. and congrats on getting elite status.

..Thanks for the kind words and praise...

..But I couldn't have done it without the help of other Forum members along the way..:biggthump

..That's what we are here for..:salute:

..You should probably start your own registry here to chronicle your build too..;)

Just trying to add to this thread, the audiophile system in my 91 4 door xlt has the same wires as ragaungle did. This thing was a complete paint to get a head unit in, apparently my constant power wire didnt work so i had to ghetto rig it into the cigarette lighter (thanks fir the ideas and help Dom) but apparently the factory amp and head unit amp conflict and make the spekers obnoxiously loud. somethign to think about.

Just trying to add to this thread, the audiophile system in my 91 4 door xlt has the same wires as ragaungle did. This thing was a complete paint to get a head unit in, apparently my constant power wire didnt work so i had to ghetto rig it into the cigarette lighter (thanks fir the ideas and help Dom) but apparently the factory amp and head unit amp conflict and make the spekers obnoxiously loud. somethign to think about.

Which is why you should bypass the factory amp later on when you plan to put subs in and will have the whole rear panel off exposing the amp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[MENTION=63829]Tbars4[/MENTION] Do you know which one is positive and negative? Is 1 positive and 2 negative? Because I can't tell a difference between sound and I'm afraid it will make my speakers die prematurely because of possibly being hooked up backwards.

Back