Popping noises when turning? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping noises when turning?

Thank you very much! Greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The skin is the front covers that cover the bumper. Its called a skin. It just plastic covers that make up the front of the car just below where the hood meets the latch. All that and down is called a skin.

As for the two plates I am referring to. They are part of the frame and behind the bumper. They run across the front of the car and there are two sides...front facing and rear...they are welded together at the factory, or at least they are supposed to be welded together.

Sorry no pictures but I may try to get under there and see if I can see it behind the skin.
Thanks very much Rollingrock for clearing that up with your explanation. Now I understand what you meant.

Thanks very much Rollingrock for clearing that up with your explanation. Now I understand what you meant.

Sorry for the my bad spelling...my 3 year old wanted to get in my lap while I was typing that up.

Honeslty, you have to tell your dealer they have to remove the front skin to expose the parts that need to be address. I am going to try and get some paperwork from Ford regarding what was done. My dealer tried appying heave grease between the two plates (I would describe them as a type of cross member that supports the bumper) They will not be BLACK in color, they will probably be white or possibly the color of the paint on the car you have. ours was white.

The skin is the front covers that cover the bumper. Its called a skin. It just plastic covers that make up the front of the car just below where the hood meets the latch. All that and down is called a skin.

As for the two plates I am referring to. They are part of the frame and behind the bumper. They run across the front of the car and there are two sides...front facing and rear...they are welded together at the factory, or at least they are supposed to be welded together.
That's interesting. In the thread on installing a tow bar for the new Explorer, the OP mentioned that the instructions from the tow bar manufacturer did not show the bumper backing plates welded together, and he had to cut them loose to install the hardware.

I wonder if they found this problem in early production and that the fix was to weld the supports together?

This is so helpful!! Now I know what to tell my dealer!!!

How do you find out who your regional rep is?

There is a member here who works in the "social media" group, if you find him, he can get your to the right person.

Check the Wind Noise Thread.

How do you find out who your regional rep is?
DDF,
I’m happy to help you if send me a private message with some of your information. I would need your VIN, contact information, mileage, and dealer info so I can assist.

There is a member here who works in the "social media" group, if you find him, he can get your to the right person...
Thank you for the recommendation, Rollingrock! :)

Cory

I’m happy to help you if send me a private message with some of your information. I would need your VIN, contact information, mileage, and dealer info so I can assist.

Thank you for the recommendation! :)

Cory

you bet Cory! Thanks for helping us...it has been invaluable!

you bet Cory! Thanks for helping us...it has been invaluable!
Rollingrock,
Wow, thank you so much for saying that! I’m glad Ford gives me the tools to make sure you’re happy with your purchase. :)

Cory

Anyone has any luck on this besides Rolling rock, i am taking mine in Friday only 125 miles on it, hear pops from front and back when turning

I took mine back in today for the popping noise for the 3rd time. I gave them this info. I hope it gets resolve. Thanks

Let me know how it goes

YES! thanks to rolling rock. They welding the pieces back together. My dealership also called customer service line to confirm known problem. Keep insisting and forward them this forum. It is the problem!

Thanks again rolling rock!

Anyone has any luck on this besides Rolling rock, i am taking mine in Friday only 125 miles on it, hear pops from front and back when turning
I took mine back in today for the popping noise for the 3rd time. I gave them this info. I hope it gets resolve. Thanks
K1200rsport & Abrego702,
Keep us in the loop with what happens. I can also escalate this for extra help when it’s at the dealer. So I can help, be sure to private message me with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer info. I’ll do everything I can to fix this once and for all.

Cory

K1200rsport & Abrego702,
Keep us in the loop with what happens. I can also escalate this for extra help when it’s at the dealer. So I can help, be sure to private message me with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer info. I’ll do everything I can to fix this once and for all.

Cory

wrong post...

UPDATE....picked up my ford explorer today gave them ROLLINGROCK info on the skins and they welded the parts, test drove it and the popping sounds are GONE. Yesss thank god and ROLLINROCK your a life saver man. We been dealing with this problem since we got the truck and they could never figure out the problem. They also updated the mft and the clock actually reads the right time now. Thanks again guys.

UPDATE....picked up my ford explorer today gave them ROLLINGROCK info on the skins and they welded the parts, test drove it and the popping sounds are GONE. Yesss thank god and ROLLINROCK your a life saver man. We been dealing with this problem since we got the truck and they could never figure out the problem. They also updated the mft and the clock actually reads the right time now. Thanks again guys.

nice! Glad to have helped. I suppose it made sense to them once they pulled the skin off.

Did you see what the parts looked like?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rollingrock,
I'm not sure what you mean by “wrong post”. Did I overlook something? :scratch:

Cory

No Cory, that was my error. I posed a comment but it didn't belong in this thread.

Back