2002 XLT, No Cruise Control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLT, No Cruise Control

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
My 2002's cruise control stopped working altogether a few months back, won't come on at all.

I needed to have the cruise control recall done so this morning I brought it into the dealer and they replaced that piece, looked like a short harness.

I was hoping it would bring back my cruise control but no luck.

Any recommendations on what to check? I can't seem to find a fuse listed in the manual for cruise control but could it be something else? I have read about a switch on top of the master cylinder, is that separate from what was replaced in the recall?

thanks,

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2002's cruise control stopped working altogether a few months back, won't come on at all.

I needed to have the cruise control recall done so this morning I brought it into the dealer and they replaced that piece, looked like a short harness.

I was hoping it would bring back my cruise control but no luck.

Any recommendations on what to check? I can't seem to find a fuse listed in the manual for cruise control but could it be something else? I have read about a switch on top of the master cylinder, is that separate from what was replaced in the recall?

thanks,

Rob

The switch is separate from the recall. Many have had luck with changing the switch.

Finally had the recall done but the cruise control still doesn't work. Any way to test the switch before ordering a replacement?

thanks, Rob

Sorry, I don't know how to test the switch. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Make sure your brake lights are working correctly. Check Fuse #23 (15A) in the fuse panel under the driver side dash. Then do a visual check.

picture.php

According to my shop manual wiring diagrams, Fuse #40 in the power distribution box under the hood is for the cruise control. It is a 15A mini fuse.

picture.php

Good luck!!

My cruise control works sometimes, and other times not at all....... any ideas on what it could be. Stealership wants to charge me $90.00 to cheak it out.

My cruise control works sometimes, and other times not at all....... any ideas on what it could be. Stealership wants to charge me $90.00 to cheak it out.

Start by checking the level of your brake fluid.

Then make sure your brake lights are functioning properly; visually check to see that they are working correctly, if not check the fuse (#23 (15A) in the fuse panel under the driver side dash) and the brake pedal switch.

Then check the cruise control fuse; according to my shop manual wiring diagrams, Fuse #40 in the power distribution box under the hood is for the cruise control. It is a 15A mini fuse.

Info on the fuses is in my previous post. I have an '02 and your '04 may be different. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

You could also have an issue with the cruise control switch on the brake fluid reservoir. Here are some threads to check out concerning the switch:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273854

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232253

Good luck with the fix :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

It's your brake pressure switch that you attach to the master cylinder. Had same problem with my 03 ford explorer. It costs around $40 and very easy to replace. Go on google and look up master cylinder brake pressure switch.

before you replace the switch on the master cylinder resevoir, try just tapping it with a hammer, wrench, whatever. I bought a new Motorcraft switch on Amazon, but I couldn't get the old one off. I tried tapping it to loosen it, but couldn't get it off, and didn't want to break anything. When I drove the vehicle the next time, lo and behold, my cruise worked, and has worked for two years since!
Good luck.

Plus 1 for the brake fluid pressure switch. Dealer told me it was the cruise control module and wanted 100's to replace "after" a 90.00 diagnosis fee. Replaced the switch in the master cylinder, and been good ever since.

Back