What do you tow with your 5th gen. Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you tow with your 5th gen. Explorer?

Draper, how far are you from Titisville, PA, visiting in Sept. My brother lives their. Nice Stang by the way!

Titusville is about 3 hours away. Around 160 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I've read numerous posts about waiting 500 or 1000 miles before towing anything... I have an 18' with trailer weighing approximately 3500lbs. Our boat launch is literally .5 miles away in our subdivision. Does anyone think I still should wait 1000+ miles before towing the boat such a short distance? The speed limit is only 20mph and on level ground with the exception of 30' of the boat launch. Any thoughts?

I would wait a minimum of atleast 500 miles, but if you can wait I'd go the full 1k miles. But hey its your Ex but honestly if it could wait I would...happy boating! I'm looking forward to my next time out on the boat as well.

I was wondering how many of the people towing have dealt with the headlights at night. When ever I am towing a trailer I get people flashing thier brights at me. Just a little tongue weight and the lights point more up and out. I have about 150 lbs of tongue weight. I think it has to do with projection headlights. I am going to try and reduce the tongue weight but it will be below recommended for 2000 lb trailer

I believe the government mandates that all HID lights be auto leveling.

I believe the government mandates that all HID lights be auto leveling.

The explorer certain has auto leveling HID and for that matter every HID I have seen in any manufactures spec have listed "auto leveling HID".

Hmm, I haven't had to tow at night. But its interesting to find out soon enough, hopefully its not that bad.

I was wondering how many of the people towing have dealt with the headlights at night. When ever I am towing a trailer I get people flashing thier brights at me. Just a little tongue weight and the lights point more up and out. I have about 150 lbs of tongue weight. I think it has to do with projection headlights. I am going to try and reduce the tongue weight but it will be below recommended for 2000 lb trailer

Stuff like this.

DSC00014-20110624-11-29-46-8x8.jpg

But I have a couple other trucks to pull the big stuff.

DSC00013-20110624-09-50-21-8x8.jpg

Ya, I know the Explorer has the sags.. But not that bad, I was on a hill.

:D

Bob

I have a 94 wat type of class three hitches are out there for this. It has the rear shacles that go through the frame. It has a class 3 receiver now and its factory but it ties into the bumper and rear crossmember. Just doesnt look safe with my boat on her just a little tongue weoght drops it to the ground. Its not weight distribiting really. Can take pics to show l8r

Its all about tongue weight.

Some good info on the Hitching Up site

Copy and paste from www.hitchingup.com

Tongue weight should be approximately 10% to 15% of the total weight of the trailer.Generally, more is better, but much more than 15% may actually increase the likelihood of sway, especially if the tongue weight approaches or exceeds the tongue weight rating of the tow vehicle

If that's not the problem look into the rear springs. My last Explorer I had the leaf springs re-arched at a shop in Elgin.

:wavey:

Good luck;

Bob Wiersema

When I was towing at night with both my headlights and my foglights on, I had quite a few people flashing their high beams at me. Once I turned off the fogs, that stopped. I don't have the HID's in my Explorer, just the regular lights.

No thats not the problem its just the poor design of the hitches for the first gens. Its pulling at the very back of the frame. Im going to adjust my hitch by adding brackets to help distribute the load and then work on my leaf packs

No thats not the problem its just the poor design of the hitches for the first gens. Its pulling at the very back of the frame. Im going to adjust my hitch by adding brackets to help distribute the load and then work on my leaf packs

You do realize we're talking about 2011 Explorers in this thread, not 1st gens....

Ya thx for the hospitality this forum is hard to navigate. U have to search for everything once you get in your generation of explorer. I thought it was just a general towing thread. I will go back where i belong with the old stuff

didnt mean to sound rude just tryin to find the right place on here and its easy to get somewhere else

Looking level!
IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

Looking level!

DARKNESS!! (Chris Rock's Voice Speaking)

That is an all out blackemnous looking combo....so sexy!

I'm digging it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks TIO!

Just arrived at Sebring a little while ago. The tow down was much better than with my Titan, BUT the FWD really shows when towing. The roads were wet and every stoplight was followed by a some wheel spin pulling out. Also braking was reduced. I need to try less tongue weight or go with a WD hitch. Once moving, the maneuverability and stability as well as comfort were so much better than the Titan. I think the short distance between hitch and rear axle are key contributors.

Back