Fixing MFT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fixing MFT

tpchristian

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
I have read through many of the posts about the issues with MFT. I have only had mine for a couple weeks and have had many, many issues. I thought that they would have taken care of some of these already on later productions, but I guess not. So, I am considering taking it in to the dealer. However, I don't know if it is even worth it. Two of these are body -- A-pillar rattle and loud rain noise at top of windshield. The reset are MFT. I believe that some dealers have been taking care of the A-pillar rattle. I don't recall seeing anyone getting the rain noise fixed. I have 2.11 MFT so I am not sure that there is anything that they can even do. I see people getting the processing unit replaced, but don't recall anyone saying that fixed any of their issues. Perhaps they are all software issues. I would be interested in comment on whether it is worth taking in. I am pasting a rough log of my issues that I have encountered.

=====

• Will sometimes not connect to my phone at all.
  • Will sometimes not connect media to my phone.
  • Infotainment computer rebooted spontaneously. I started my car and the screen was just black. I thought, "no, the screen died". However about 30-60 seconds later it said it said something along the line of servicing or maintenance. I think this is code for reboot because it just had a progress bar. After this showed up, it took a while for it to get back to the home screen. It seemed like forever, but it was probably about 2 minutes. It was move in day for my son and in a very tight parking garage so I just had to wait while someone was waiting to take my spot to unload. There are too may blind spot to go without the backup cam and sensors.
  • This computer takes a long time to startup.
    [*] Music was loud and I was letting my daughter drive. I was going to power down the radio. It wouldn't respond until about 30-45 seconds after starting the car.
    [*] I can't get the voice command button to respond for 30-60 seconds after starting the car. It may be longer. Since many navigation functions are locked out. I feel like an idiot having to pull over to wait for the computer to catch up so I can say my address.
  • Map data seems to be out-of-date.
  • I have a USB stick in the system for my music. The display is constantly saying that it is building voice commands. I only saw this work correctly twice. Once the very first time I used it after picking it up from the dealer. It worked one more about a week later. Had about a half dozen times where it didn't work. I would just have to guess that the first one was correct. Luckily, it was for all of them.
  • Today, 9/6/11, It said that there was a USB error and didn't play my music. When I got in the car at lunch time, it started playing my music.
  • On most occasions, The system will tell me to choose from a list and there is no list displayed.
  • It was raining lightly the other night and the area above the windshield sounded like someone tapping on an empty drum.
  • I have been hearing a strange noise at times. My daughter was driving this last time so I was able to concentrate on it a little more. While driving down the freeway, I can hear a sound somewhere around the windshield that sounds like a flag flapping in the wind. This only seem to happen under certain circumstances.
  • Today, 9/9/11, my navigation says that it failed and that I should contact my dealer. I was also pressing the voice button and it would not react. Made a couple more stops and this continues to happen. I was not able to turn the radio off while my wife was on the phone either. Later it did allow me to turn it off.
    [*] Problem continued the following day. I could hardly use anything because the navigation error pops up about every minute. So, I tried taking the card out. The message for that were just as bad. Now today it spontaneously rebooted as I was pulling into the driveway. I only had the car on for a few minutes, but it may be back to working.
  • Put in a new USB flash drive today, 9/12/11. I put it in and it started indexing. It completed and then said building voice commands. I could not leave it running any longer so I shut it off. Every time I start the car, now, it will say indexing. Sometimes when I start the car it will play the track that it left off on. Other times it will switch to radio.
  • Had a problem where the HD radio (AM620) would cut in and out. This has not happened before. In the past it would take a couple seconds to lock on and it would stay on HD.
  • I have had this happen three times in the last day. The backup camera will just freeze-frame. It was very freaky the first time because I was moving slow backing up very close to a car behind me. It was hard to tell that it was frozen at first and I nearly backed up into the car. This has happened a few other times since then.
  • I noticed that the 4.3 inch display said that there was a navigation error, but the main screen would show a map fine. After a few minutes the normal compass showed up on the 4.3 inch display.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry man....but if you got v2.11 your in the same mess the rest of us are.

Only advice I can give is pull the + battery lead for 3-4 minutes, it allows MFT to do a re-boot.

Might help a little.

There are comments to most, if not all of your issues in other threads in this forum.

Basically, that's the way it is.

If you have a USB plugged in all the time, it is probably causing most of your MFT startup issues. The system is dealing with that and not allowing extra commands on startup.

And I learned NEVER to push the voice command button until about a minute after the car starts.

As for the maps and nav function, yep - not good.

wow, i thought these issues were fixed by now too! i purchased my 2012 ex xlt a few weeks ago and it dosent have any of these problems. wonder what the percentage is with mft issues? i know two other people with 2011 ex's and they have been good so far

While not perfect, MFT 2.11 has been reasonable for me. Upon start up, I can turn on my A/C seat within 5 seconds. Every now and then my phone won't pair, I can try to reconnect several times without success. If I restart my iPhone4 it works, this sound more like the problem is with Apple. Is your USB drive write protected? I suspect that MFT builds an index and might try to write it to the drive. I did have MFT lock up on my once, very frustrating but it did clear it self.

I have read through many of the posts about the issues with MFT. I have only had mine for a couple weeks and have had many, many issues. I thought that they would have taken care of some of these already on later productions, but I guess not. So, I am considering taking it in to the dealer. However, I don't know if it is even worth it. Two of these are body -- A-pillar rattle and loud rain noise at top of windshield. The reset are MFT. I believe that some dealers have been taking care of the A-pillar rattle. I don't recall seeing anyone getting the rain noise fixed. I have 2.11 MFT so I am not sure that there is anything that they can even do. I see people getting the processing unit replaced, but don't recall anyone saying that fixed any of their issues. Perhaps they are all software issues. I would be interested in comment on whether it is worth taking in. I am pasting a rough log of my issues that I have encountered.
[/LIST]

Hi, Tom!

I suggest taking your Explorer to the dealer and having them look at your list of concerns. Also, like dco43054 said, try removing your USB and only plugging it in when you are going to use it and/or 30 seconds or so after you start the engine. This may help with the start-up "lag."

Rebecca

Rebecca

Perhaps you could ask someone Development Team as to why the MFT/SYNC applications are not started up when the remote start is used.

I ask because sluggish start up times are an issue that could be mitigated by the user starting their vehicle before they get in, allowing for that lag to be completed before the driver gets in.

=====

• Will sometimes not connect to my phone at all.
  • Will sometimes not connect media to my phone.
  • Infotainment computer rebooted spontaneously. I started my car and the screen was just black. I thought, "no, the screen died". However about 30-60 seconds later it said it said something along the line of servicing or maintenance. I think this is code for reboot because it just had a progress bar. After this showed up, it took a while for it to get back to the home screen. It seemed like forever, but it was probably about 2 minutes. It was move in day for my son and in a very tight parking garage so I just had to wait while someone was waiting to take my spot to unload. There are too may blind spot to go without the backup cam and sensors.
  • This computer takes a long time to startup.
    [*] Music was loud and I was letting my daughter drive. I was going to power down the radio. It wouldn't respond until about 30-45 seconds after starting the car.
    [*] I can't get the voice command button to respond for 30-60 seconds after starting the car. It may be longer. Since many navigation functions are locked out. I feel like an idiot having to pull over to wait for the computer to catch up so I can say my address.
  • Map data seems to be out-of-date.
  • I have a USB stick in the system for my music. The display is constantly saying that it is building voice commands. I only saw this work correctly twice. Once the very first time I used it after picking it up from the dealer. It worked one more about a week later. Had about a half dozen times where it didn't work. I would just have to guess that the first one was correct. Luckily, it was for all of them.
  • Today, 9/6/11, It said that there was a USB error and didn't play my music. When I got in the car at lunch time, it started playing my music.
  • On most occasions, The system will tell me to choose from a list and there is no list displayed.
  • It was raining lightly the other night and the area above the windshield sounded like someone tapping on an empty drum.
  • I have been hearing a strange noise at times. My daughter was driving this last time so I was able to concentrate on it a little more. While driving down the freeway, I can hear a sound somewhere around the windshield that sounds like a flag flapping in the wind. This only seem to happen under certain circumstances.
  • Today, 9/9/11, my navigation says that it failed and that I should contact my dealer. I was also pressing the voice button and it would not react. Made a couple more stops and this continues to happen. I was not able to turn the radio off while my wife was on the phone either. Later it did allow me to turn it off.
    [*] Problem continued the following day. I could hardly use anything because the navigation error pops up about every minute. So, I tried taking the card out. The message for that were just as bad. Now today it spontaneously rebooted as I was pulling into the driveway. I only had the car on for a few minutes, but it may be back to working.
  • Put in a new USB flash drive today, 9/12/11. I put it in and it started indexing. It completed and then said building voice commands. I could not leave it running any longer so I shut it off. Every time I start the car, now, it will say indexing. Sometimes when I start the car it will play the track that it left off on. Other times it will switch to radio.
  • Had a problem where the HD radio (AM620) would cut in and out. This has not happened before. In the past it would take a couple seconds to lock on and it would stay on HD.
  • I have had this happen three times in the last day. The backup camera will just freeze-frame. It was very freaky the first time because I was moving slow backing up very close to a car behind me. It was hard to tell that it was frozen at first and I nearly backed up into the car. This has happened a few other times since then.
  • I noticed that the 4.3 inch display said that there was a navigation error, but the main screen would show a map fine. After a few minutes the normal compass showed up on the 4.3 inch display.

Tom,
Sorry to hear about your issues. I will say that your experiences (while not unusual) are not normal (if that makes any sense). My system is up and running within 20 seconds of starting the car with a Droid X paired and a USB stick with 700 songs.

as a point of reference, I have 700 songs and it usually* takes 3 minutes or less to index and build media commands. By my math that is 1/4 second per song. How many songs do you have?

Furthermore, one piece of advice that I have taken and it seems to help is to WAIT for MFT to FULLY load before you DO ANYTHING in the car. For me this is 20 seconds max. By fully load, I mean the Nav system is finished loading, the USB stick is loaded, the phone is paired AND I always wait for the "Droid X detected" to come up on the media player portion indicating that the Droid X's streaming was detected.

I have very few problems with normal use. What starts making things flaky is voice commands with Nav (which are generally useless) or futzing around trying to get text messages to work with the Droid X (which others have reported working and I can sort of get to work). So long as I don't ask it to do more than the basics, it works fine.

Other thoughts: How many contacts do you have with your phone? Users with a large number of contacts report more issues with slow response times.

One thing to try: Unpair your bluetooth from both the car and the phone, unplug any devices (USB stick, etc...) and do a Factory REset of the Sync followed by a Battery cable pull. Leave the batt. cable out for a few minutes then reconnect it. Do NOT re-pair your phone or stick your USB stick in. Just note the response time and drive around with it without other devices for awhile. This is to determine whether the STOCK system with NOTHING else attached is functioning normal. If the speed is decent, then start adding in your phone or USB stick ONE AT A TIME. Noting the response time and driving around with it for awhile before you add another device(and if it seems ok after you add a device, try stopping the car - getting out - waiting 5 minutes then restarting to make sure it is still fast). Once you get your slowdown, you will figure out which component is causing issues and can take steps to mitigate those issues (or get a different device).

Also, be sure to update the firmware on any device you connect to Sync.

Finally, there have been a few unconfirmed reports that the Sony radio is causing issues (I doubt this, but it is out there). Try turning off the radio.

Hope this helps.

Rebecca

Perhaps you could ask someone Development Team as to why the MFT/SYNC applications are not started up when the remote start is used.

I ask because sluggish start up times are an issue that could be mitigated by the user starting their vehicle before they get in, allowing for that lag to be completed before the driver gets in.

That's an excellent question, Sgt!

I will see what I can do :)

Rebecca

Rebecca

Remote start is not a recognized power mode by SYNC/MFT so it will not start when you use Remote Start. Customer feedback showed that more people preferred it this way.

I have put this in as a "preference suggestion" for you :)

Rebecca

Remote start is not a recognized power mode by SYNC/MFT so it will not start when you use Remote Start. Customer feedback showed that more people preferred it this way.

I have put this in as a "preference suggestion" for you :)

Rebecca

Thank you

Im not sure why that would be preferred but perhaps it was before the customers actually experienced some of the start up lag that MFT has now.

I beleive most owners on this forum would probably prefer it to recognize the remote start power mode.

Hi, Tom!

I suggest taking your Explorer to the dealer and having them look at your list of concerns. Also, like dco43054 said, try removing your USB and only plugging it in when you are going to use it and/or 30 seconds or so after you start the engine. This may help with the start-up "lag."

Rebecca

OK, I will take it in. I just didn't want to waste my time if my issue are not solvable. I am almost always playing music from my USB so it is almost always in use.

Most of my time with this vehicle I had a 4GB stick in the car with only about 200 songs. Just since this past Sunday, I put in a 32GB card with 4500 songs. With the exceptions noted in my log, it will start playing music within about 10-20 seconds. The first time I put the new stick in, I kept the car running until the indexing was done. However, it still says indexing every time I start the vehicle again. With the old smaller card, it would do that, but would say building voice commands all the time.

Is pulling the fuse different from a reboot. My system has spontaneously reboot a few time already. Most of the time, it would work slightly better after that, but I have always run into serious issues after this.

Thanks for all of the responses! I did want to ask people to rehash all of this again. I've just read through so many posts, but I didn't recall reading of anyone who brought it in to the dealer and had their problem actually solved. I just wanted to make sure my read was correct before bothering.

I'm sure that there will be some that think I'm nuts, but I'm a technology freak. I opt'ed for this car over other because of it. (I certainly like other aspects of the vehicle as well) If this stuff doesn't work and there is no fix, it seems I could have bought an equally capable vehicle for much less money. I was actually happy that for the first time in 20 years I was actually attracted to an American branded vehicle. I hope my regrets can be overcome soon.

Some of these issues I consider to be safety issues. I was very freaked out when my backup camera froze up. If moving slowly, it take a second or two for you brain to realize that is happening. With the visibility in the car, I use the camera extensively.

JT ex, is right, the system has to boot with all the software, before buttons get pushed, it's like the PC still loading software drivers, then interupt the process!

I'm experiencing very few big issues, after the one big rest at the dealer, MFT, is running ok, be patient for sure. Yes the Nav is not good, (tel Nav issue) for the out of date data base, Ford should make them update to assist owners now, no later.

Phone issues described by others, could be the firmware of the phone in some cases, I have an IPhone and a Droid HTC, every so often one connects the other won't?

The IVT team is tracking ( Rebecca ), this forum and all our comments and suggestions will help, hopefully soon. Ford will find a solution!

OK, I will take it in. I just didn't want to waste my time if my issue are not solvable. I am almost always playing music from my USB so it is almost always in use.

Most of my time with this vehicle I had a 4GB stick in the car with only about 200 songs. Just since this past Sunday, I put in a 32GB card with 4500 songs. With the exceptions noted in my log, it will start playing music within about 10-20 seconds. The first time I put the new stick in, I kept the car running until the indexing was done. However, it still says indexing every time I start the vehicle again. With the old smaller card, it would do that, but would say building voice commands all the time.

Is pulling the fuse different from a reboot. My system has spontaneously reboot a few time already. Most of the time, it would work slightly better after that, but I have always run into serious issues after this.

Thanks for all of the responses! I did want to ask people to rehash all of this again. I've just read through so many posts, but I didn't recall reading of anyone who brought it in to the dealer and had their problem actually solved. I just wanted to make sure my read was correct before bothering.

I'm sure that there will be some that think I'm nuts, but I'm a technology freak. I opt'ed for this car over other because of it. (I certainly like other aspects of the vehicle as well) If this stuff doesn't work and there is no fix, it seems I could have bought an equally capable vehicle for much less money. I was actually happy that for the first time in 20 years I was actually attracted to an American branded vehicle. I hope my regrets can be overcome soon.

Some of these issues I consider to be safety issues. I was very freaked out when my backup camera froze up. If moving slowly, it take a second or two for you brain to realize that is happening. With the visibility in the car, I use the camera extensively.

To be honest, I don't agree with Rebecca's suggestion (sorry Rebecca!). I just dont think dealers have much of a clue on how to diagnose and fix MFT issues. I've read story after story on these boards about people getting no help from the dealer on fixing their problem other than to have their car sit at the dealer for days and come back saying they cannot reproduce the problem, or have replaced the APIM or some other component only to have the same problems show up.

As I posted earlier, I'd do some self diagnostics to try and pinpoint the problem with the system before I take it to the dealer. That way I could be certain its a hardware vs. software issue.

AS FAR AS YOUR INDEXING IS CONCERNED: I'm wondering if your audio files are properly tagged? I know that if your tags are off it screws up Sync.

TIPS:
1.) remove all unecessary tag information: A person on www.syncmyride.com reported that once he fixed his tags it stopped doing the perpetual indexing operations. He had downloaded mp3tag from www.mp3tag.de/en/ and then selected all the music files - pressed ALT-T and then deleted all tag information except for Album, Artist, Genre, Title, and Track.
2.) Rebecca (FordIVT Team) has advised me to put all songs in the root directory of the device. It seems that sync stores the folder structure which takes more time and more memory.
3.) I renamed all my files to short file names without any special characters like apostrophe's and parathensis.
4.) Note that a bunch of my songs from iTunes had weird characters in the album year - remove those.

Really pour over your tags and make sure they are perfect and minimilistic. No special characters.

The compilations checkbox also causes sync problems.

The reboot and fuse pull are pretty much the same thing. The fuse pull, however, will allow the system to fully power down.

The reason I suggest going to the dealer is because of your following comments:

I have been hearing a strange noise at times. My daughter was driving this last time so I was able to concentrate on it a little more. While driving down the freeway, I can hear a sound somewhere around the windshield that sounds like a flag flapping in the wind. This only seem to happen under certain circumstances.
I was also pressing the voice button and it would not react. Made a couple more stops and this continues to happen. I was not able to turn the radio off while my wife was on the phone either.
Had a problem where the HD radio (AM620) would cut in and out. This has not happened before. In the past it would take a couple seconds to lock on and it would stay on HD.
I have had this happen three times in the last day. The backup camera will just freeze-frame.
On most occasions, The system will tell me to choose from a list and there is no list displayed.

You can also try the suggestions below (and above) from jrmexplorer. They may help with your indexing.

To be honest, I don't agree with Rebecca's suggestion (sorry Rebecca!).

AS FAR AS YOUR INDEXING IS CONCERNED: I'm wondering if your audio files are properly tagged? I know that if your tags are off it screws up Sync.

TIPS:
1.) remove all unecessary tag information: A person on www.syncmyride.com reported that once he fixed his tags it stopped doing the perpetual indexing operations. He had downloaded mp3tag from www.mp3tag.de/en/ and then selected all the music files - pressed ALT-T and then deleted all tag information except for Album, Artist, Genre, Title, and Track.
2.) Rebecca (FordIVT Team) has advised me to put all songs in the root directory of the device. It seems that sync stores the folder structure which takes more time and more memory.
3.) I renamed all my files to short file names without any special characters like apostrophe's and parathensis.
4.) Note that a bunch of my songs from iTunes had weird characters in the album year - remove those.

Really pour over your tags and make sure they are perfect and minimilistic. No special characters.

The compilations checkbox also causes sync problems.

No need to be sorry! We are all entitled to our own opinions :)

Rebecca

<Humor>
Your window sticker must have been truncated. The items in your list have been added as "Standard Features" on the 2012's.

;)

No rain noise?

wow, i thought these issues were fixed by now too! i purchased my 2012 ex xlt a few weeks ago and it dosent have any of these problems. wonder what the percentage is with mft issues? i know two other people with 2011 ex's and they have been good so far

When you say that you don't have any of these problems, does that include the lack of the "drum sound" in the rain? My 2011 has the "rain noise". When I tap on the roof just above the windshield, it sounds the same on my 2011 as it does on a 2012 on the lot. I was not able to listen from inside.

Thanks,

I finally got it to my dealer today. I gave them all of my notes on issues. Here is what they did...

1. They said that they have heard of the flapping sound from other customers, but don't have a fix from Ford.
  2. On the loud rain noise coming from above the windshield... None of the explorers have any kind of sound insulation. That is just the way they are designed.
  3. They told me that their guy that works on their MyFordTouch installed an update. That is strange because I already had 2.11. I don't know if there is another update that came after that. He said that it should take care of 99% of my problems. He said that I had too many songs on my USB stick. I should not have more than 250 songs. That is nuts in my opinion. I have a lot of songs on my bigger flash drive, but only had about 150 on my smaller one that I was using most of the time. Had issues with both. I have scrubbed my tags with may tools including Tune-Up and MediaMonkey. It said indexing the whole way home from the dealership. I will have to wait and see if any of the many other issues are fixed.

I am not convinced that this was not a waste of a day. Nothing seemed to be fixed except for the mysterious update to 2.11.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back