Please Vote for Canadian Sync Services | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Vote for Canadian Sync Services

calb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 AWD Explorer Limited

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe it isn't Ford's decision?

Sirius Travel Link doesn't work in Canada, (AFAIK) because Sirius does not have contracts with anyone in Canada to provide the service for weather and traffic. I think the only info that Sirius gets for Canada on traffic in Southern Ontario is from the MOT.

Another has to do with language, and Canadian Law. From what I know, you need to provide both English and French in Canada in order to supply the product. Since Ford does not offer French support for some of the SYNC services, like vehicle health, they are not available at all north of the border.

Sirius Travel Link doesn't work in Canada, (AFAIK) because Sirius does not have contracts with anyone in Canada to provide the service for weather and traffic. I think the only info that Sirius gets for Canada on traffic in Southern Ontario is from the MOT.

Another has to do with language, and Canadian Law. From what I know, you need to provide both English and French in Canada in order to supply the product. Since Ford does not offer French support for some of the SYNC services, like vehicle health, they are not available at all north of the border.

So then how does XM have NavTraffic Services in Canada?

So then how does OnStar have Diagnostic Emails (VHR) as part of the Canadian OnStar account?

So then how does my friends vehicle with US version SYNC MFT show all SYNC Services and Sirius Travel Link when he is up in Canada?

Also INRIX Traffic Services (Contracted by Ford SYNC) has their iPhone app that works all across Canada.

I call BS!

Take it for what it is. I have AFAIK, and 'from what I know" in there.

If you're bouncing a US tower, even in southern Canada you can get the system to work sometimes.

NavTraffic is available in 3 Canadian markets. Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. Congrats, you have one of them. But no, it isn't everywhere.

OnStar is not SYNC. OnStar can be programmed to respond in French.

No idea- Inrix is contracted by Ford, but not in Canada?

AppLink is not available in Canada due to legal reasons is the official response.

I'm just adding what I heard, and I'm not a Ford employee, so climb off my ass.

Sarge- if it was a BS in general, and not directly at me, sorry... :)

I've read that before and while I'm not dismissing those reasons I think things like a conversion to French are weak issues that could either be quickly remedied or set up in a way that they are not offered in jurisdictions that have an issue. Ford Canada however has consistently failed to address the reason(s) for the lack of service. Let us know that reason so we stop thinking that Ford Canada is just a pure ("short term vision") sales arm to Ford, that doesn't actually care about its "long-term" customers.

It's the language, from what I have heard. If the diagnostics are not available in both English and French, they can't offer the service, per law. I think it's BS, but that's what I've been reading about it. If that is indeed true, that's just another feather in the nanny-state cap, because that's ridiculous.

It's the language, from what I have heard. If the diagnostics are not available in both English and French, they can't offer the service, per law. I think it's BS, but that's what I've been reading about it. If that is indeed true, that's just another feather in the nanny-state cap, because that's ridiculous.

Hmm ... I've heard it too, but have to say that Ford mechanics in Quebec would probably already be getting diagnostics in French, not to mention I deal with software all the time, and multi-language components are par for the course.

If it is a nanny state issue, then I'd like Ford to at least say that so I quit throwing darts in their direction.

Good news is .... we're up to 17 votes so it is slowly growing as people learn about the ability to vote for this item.

I think it's an issue of the actual content coming out of hte vehicle to the user- like the actual diagnostic review that you would hear in the vehicle. That's not in French, I think that's the issue.

I do know the Edge forum is abuzz about it, if you want to get them on board too... :thumbsup:

Take it for what it is. I have AFAIK, and 'from what I know" in there.

If you're bouncing a US tower, even in southern Canada you can get the system to work sometimes.

NavTraffic is available in 3 Canadian markets. Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. Congrats, you have one of them. But no, it isn't everywhere.

OnStar is not SYNC. OnStar can be programmed to respond in French.

No idea- Inrix is contracted by Ford, but not in Canada?

AppLink is not available in Canada due to legal reasons is the official response.

I'm just adding what I heard, and I'm not a Ford employee, so climb off my ass.

Sarge- if it was a BS in general, and not directly at me, sorry... :)

Your comments are accurate I know that....my Calling BS was directed at Ford of Canada for their lame excuse attempt to deny Canadians full SYNC service, not you personally.

I had XM NavTraffic on my OnStar account and I got vehicle health report emails every month from OnStar so Im a little confused as to how thats possible but Ford's VHR isn't.

I ended my Sirius Canada trial 6 month free service and re-signed using my address in the USA because I have a US Sirius account, not only is it cheaper but they offered me free 3 month trial of Sirius Travel Link.

(To be fair to Sirius Canada they did reply to me advising Sirius Travel Link Services were coming to the 2012 model years)

Went to the dealer but they won't add the software in MFT

Now I have to get it done when Im down south.

I can't use it in Canada, I disagree with that but I get it. But if I live in the USA for part of the year I should be able to use it.

There are 24 votes now! You guys should start promoting this link on your Facebook pages to get more votes ;)

Ford of Canada tweeted that they may add SIRIUS Travel Link sometime next year.

Rebecca

There are 24 votes now! You guys should start promoting this link on your Facebook pages to get more votes ;)

Ford of Canada tweeted that they may add SIRIUS Travel Link sometime next year.

Rebecca

Thanks for the support, Rebecca! (I don't have Facebook - I give you permission to post for me!! Please?! ;) ) I did Google+ though...

Your comments are accurate I know that....my Calling BS was directed at Ford of Canada for their lame excuse attempt to deny Canadians full SYNC service, not you personally.

I had XM NavTraffic on my OnStar account and I got vehicle health report emails every month from OnStar so Im a little confused as to how thats possible but Ford's VHR isn't.

I ended my Sirius Canada trial 6 month free service and re-signed using my address in the USA because I have a US Sirius account, not only is it cheaper but they offered me free 3 month trial of Sirius Travel Link.

(To be fair to Sirius Canada they did reply to me advising Sirius Travel Link Services were coming to the 2012 model years)

Went to the dealer but they won't add the software in MFT

Now I have to get it done when Im down south.

I can't use it in Canada, I disagree with that but I get it. But if I live in the USA for part of the year I should be able to use it.

i had something weird happen on my X for about 1-2 weeks - just after labour day - When I had the nav screen operational, i was getting yellow, red, and blue lines along some of my routes, as well as Yellow traffice signals, etc. I deduced that it was some type of thing linked to Sirius/XM traffice link type feeds. It was great, as I could sometimes plan some routes around traffic and/or construction. The only down side is that id did seem to be limited as to what roadways it operated on.

Now this week, it has totally disappeared and does not show anything. I travel the same route to work most days, so it has nothing to do with roadways.

has anyone else had this happen, or even had this information appear on there NAV screen in the Toronto Area.

Was it simply a 2 week test, or did they release this imformation accidentily.

Comments appreciated.

i had something weird happen on my X for about 1-2 weeks - just after labour day - When I had the nav screen operational, i was getting yellow, red, and blue lines along some of my routes, as well as Yellow traffice signals, etc. I deduced that it was some type of thing linked to Sirius/XM traffice link type feeds. It was great, as I could sometimes plan some routes around traffic and/or construction. The only down side is that id did seem to be limited as to what roadways it operated on.

Now this week, it has totally disappeared and does not show anything. I travel the same route to work most days, so it has nothing to do with roadways.

has anyone else had this happen, or even had this information appear on there NAV screen in the Toronto Area.

Was it simply a 2 week test, or did they release this imformation accidentily.

Comments appreciated.

SIRIUS was having a 2 week free trial and they sent the signal out to all/most of North America.

Rebecca

SIRIUS was having a 2 week free trial and they sent the signal out to all/most of North American.

Rebecca

I had the same thing so we know it works in Canada now for sure.

Rebecca any idea when we may see an official release date for Canada?

thanks - any idea when it may be available in the future.

i liked it, and depending upon price would actually subscribe to a service like that - found it invaluable in toronto gridlock

Yeah, the Ford Story website sucks pretty badly. I am beginning to wonder if the MFT programmers did the Ford Story site too?

I had the same thing so we know it works in Canada now for sure.

Rebecca any idea when we may see an official release date for Canada?

Unfortunately, I don't. If I hear anything else, I will definitely let you know!

thanks - any idea when it may be available in the future.

i liked it, and depending upon price would actually subscribe to a service like that - found it invaluable in toronto gridlock

SIRIUS Travel Link is what was available for the two week trial period. Ford of Canada just tweeted this week that it may be available sometime next year.

We're up to 25 votes!! Yay! :)

(Rebecca - you voted for us too? :) Thanks!)

Come on everyone - VOTE

http://www.thefordstory.com/your-ideas/technologies/infotainment/sync-services-in-canada/

I may have ;)

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Comments appreciated.
I am in the Ottawa area and did not notice anything different on my Nav screen. Also, it would have been nice to have been advised of this free 2 week 'promotion' ahead of time so that we all would have known about it.

Back