• Register Today It's free!

New crisis.....ABS light on

herebyproxy

Reaction score
City, State
Luthersville, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
After several months I have finally gotten the CEL staying out now. While driving this morning the ABS light came on......where do I start?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start with a code reader. Maybe your local auto store such as Advance or Autozone will read the ABS codes for you for free.
That will point you in the right direction which is probably a speed sensor, but you need the codes to know for sure.

I've read here it can be as easy as pulling the sensor off wheel assembly and cleaning exciter ring and contacts. Mine is on too.

I'll get it read tomorrow

I'll keep y'all informed....

More than likely it's your rear ABS sensor....common problem on these trucks. It is located on top of the rear differential and is a fairly quick and easy fix. There are quite a few write ups on this site about this.

More than likely it's your rear ABS sensor....common problem on these trucks. It is located on top of the rear differential and is a fairly quick and easy fix. There are quite a few write ups on this site about this.

+1

9 out of 10 times this is the issue. A new sensor is only $8, so it's worth the gamble. It's also really easy to do (takes about 5 min)

another +1
this is almost always the issue. i am having the same issue on my ford van .waiting on the part right now .

I'm dealing with the same thing right now.

Codes:

C1230
C1102

F85Z9E731AB is the Ford part # for rear sensor. I got an OEM one the other day. I'm swapping it out this weekend. I'm hoping that's all it is (seems to be pretty common as you said).

Brakes are for puss... er... just kidding! :D

+88 on the rear ABS sensor... :thumbsup:

Must be an epidemic.. For a year or so, my CEL was on, and last month the ABS light came on, and the CEL has been off.. I'm a bit perplexed by this.. is OBD unable to display more than one fault at the same time, or did the bulb burn out for the CEL?

Another thing to add - pep boys (any other auto store) doesnt do free ABS scans. They only do OBD II (for check engine light only)

So before you pay a shop to diagnose an ABS light issue, def try the rear sensor.

Rear dif sensor +1
I had abs light on and took a stab in the dark, and everyone here was correct. Sensor is quick and easy to change. Deffinately start there in your troubleshooting.

To all you wannabe members out there on the fence about an Elite membership, consider how much money the site can save you. I don't even want to think what the book labour rate would be to swap out one of these sensors, but it's probably a lot more than even one year of Elite membership.

Off soapbox. ;)

I swapped mine out this morning. No ABS light anymore. :thumbsup:

I used a OEM part with part # mentioned previously.

A few things that helped me:

-Jacked up the rear (on stands on course) for extra clearance.

-Lowered the spare (but didn't remove it....just moved the wheel off to the side a bit).

-Disconnected the old sensor in place, attached the wiring to the new sensor and let it dangle.

-I used a 10 mm socket in a 1/4" handle. I had to reach around a bit the find the bolt holding the sensor in place. Came out quite easily.

-Sensor seemed "stuck" at first, but jiggling it around a bit loosened it quickly.

-Slid new sensor in place, tightened it down.

-Started the car....ABS light stayed on as part of the starting routine, but it quickly went off and stayed off. :)

Gotta love EF.

I was lucky that I got the ABS code read for free. The light came on after I was getting some other unrelated work done by a mechanic. Because it seemed too coincidental that code would come on after we pulled out of the shop, he read the code for me for free.

Turns out, the sensor malfunction was coincidental. :D

Replaced rear sensor

ABS light off.....yipeeeeeee

On a side note: I actually purchased my Explorer for $300 cheaper because of the ABS light being on.

SO what about the ABS light cancelling the check engine light? For a year, I had a CEL, but when the ABS came on a week or so ago, the CEL went out, permanently. I can't imagine my engine problem cleared itself up after a year coincidentally. Any ideas?

Coincidental. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure abs stuff is on a completely different computer brain from check engine stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's my understanding too...hence the reason why you need two different code readers. Plus, at one time I had both lights on.

Back