Strange stuff going on with my transmission. I need some advice. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange stuff going on with my transmission. I need some advice.

steve63933

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT 4X4 4.0L
2002 Ford Explorer 4x4 4.0l

Transmission model 5R55S

I changed the solenoid pack today due to a problem code with the O/D when I dropped the pan there was move shaving than usual on the magnet, it was the most I have since but considering I change my fluid and filter once a year it was not just terrible but alot. I no that is a little over kill on transmission fuilt changes, but anyway.

Second gear has a sound like a hissing noise when shifting from 1st gear to second but pulling just as good as any other gear.

Here is where the strange part is when the explorer down shifts to 2nd on it own and not all the way down to first it doesn't make any noise at all when I take off.

Do you think it's just the torque convertor issue that is causes my problems??

Also any guess on what it could be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

>>>>>>>>>>>>
2002 Ford Explorer 4x4 4.0l

Here is where the strange part is when the explorer down shifts to 2nd on it own and not all the way down to first it doesn't make any noise at all when I take off.

Do you think it's just the torque convertor issue that is causes my problems??

Also any guess on what it could be causing this?
>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm no Transmission expert by any means, but from what you desrcibe it sounds like your tranny isn't dropping down all the way into 1st gear as you slow down and when you go to drive off after a stop, it is taking off still in 2nd gear. This is not good. I don't know what causes this to happen, but I had the same problem a while back with another type of Ford vehicle I owned. This problem I had wound up causing my engine to blow when it all of a sudden dropped down from 2nd gear into 1st gear when I stepped on the gas taking off from a dead stop. I thought it was in first gear when I went to pull out in traffic. It over rev''d the engine suddenly when it dropped into 1st gear and it blew a rod. Keep my story in mind if you keep driving it with your current problem in your tranny.
The transmission I had in my EX when I bought it had down shifting issues as well, could feel a back to front "pushing sensation" in the vehicle as it down shifted while slowing down for a stop and it had a bad torque converter that whined loudly at a cold start up, until the fluid warmed up and the whine quieted down. Also had 2nd gear slippage too. I had to have a rebuilt tranny installed, new torque converter too. Lots of problems in these Ford transmissions. Good luck diagnosing the cause of your problems.

I think you miss uderstood or I didn't explain it right.

When coming to a complete stop I take off in 1st and I only here the hissing like sound when shiftinga is complete from 1st to 2nd and will here it in 2nd until it shifts to 3rd.

Now if a come to a yeild sign or corner and don't have to stop or slow down enough for it to go into 1st, then 2nd sounds fine all the way through????

My computer is showing the torque converter lock up is throwing code P0741. I have already changed the solenoid packs and still getting the same code even after clearing the code.

steve63933>>>>>My computer is showing the torque converter lock up is throwing code P0741. I have already changed the solenoid packs and still getting the same code even after clearing the code.[/QUOTE said:
>>>>>>>>>

This is just a suggestion, but you could have the transmission flushed out completely, torque converter included, new fluid and filter installed and see if it helps with the noise you hear when shifting from 2nd into 3rd gear. You have already replaced the solenoid pack, so that is a cheaper option for you to try. Complete tranny flushing costs around $129-$169 depending on where you live. There is a special flushing machine needed for these transmissions that can also flush out the torque converter and not all Tranny shops or Quick oil change places have this machine. AAMCO Transmission shops have this machine. Some places only change the fluid in the pan, not the complete system, 12+ quarts. You'll have to inquire about the flushing machine at the shop you go to, if you decide to try this option.

I would recommend the dealer for this procedure. Mine charges $129 and uses the special machine that warms the fluid used for flushing and backflushes the filter. A lot of the chain places get irritated at the lack of fill tube after they get started.

It's going to need all new fluid now....

I was pulling in my dads driveway and lost every gear even reverse.

So my question now is rebuild the one I have or go the salvage yard route?? If you suggest the salvage yard what year models are compatable?

>>>>>>>>>>>
It's going to need all new fluid now....

I was pulling in my dads driveway and lost every gear even reverse.

So my question now is rebuild the one I have or go the salvage yard route?? If you suggest the salvage yard what year models are compatable?
>>>>>>>>>>

Personally, I wouldn't buy one from the junk yard. Why buy some else's junk/problems and you have no idea what condition the replacement tranny is in. If you buy one from a junk yard and install it, you could be going through the same thing you are now in a short period of time all over again. Junk yards have their purpose for certain parts one may need, but I wouldn't trust one for a engine or transmission. I would rebuild the one you have if you have the ability to do this yourself or take it to a qualified and reputable transmission shop and have them do it with a 1-3 year warranty backing it up. In my area, a rebuilt tranny for these EX's runs between $1500-$2000 at a tranny shop. AAMCO has the best or longest warranties I've seen, 3years and up, but they are a bit higher in prices. Most shops give a 12 month warranty as standard.

Back