• Register Today It's free!

MAF issue???? or idk

jakerut18

Reaction score
City, State
Sandy, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Sport
hey everyone, i have a 93 explorer sport 4x4 and its havving some serious issues. it started this morning when i changed the air filter. no big deal right? i guess not. i changed the filter like i had done in the past and when i went to start my rig up it started kinda hard. i had the clutch pushed in and i went to give it some gas and it supttered bad. like it couldnt decide if it wanted to die or accelerate. the tachometer went nuts like jumping all over the place. then went to idle and idled fine. then i went to back up, she ran fine, put it in 1st gear and it acted like it wanted to die but would then try and accelrate. the whole rig bucked like i was in the rodeo. so now it sits in my drive way and i havnt a clue what to do. anybody got any ideas?? :( i had somthing like this happen about a year ago and i replaced the MAF with a junkyard MAF and the issue went away but now its back and worse than before.

--- i just uploaded a video of it on youtube. its titled "ford explorer going crazy!!"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I watched the video.

seems like maybe a cracked or broken intake tube after the MAF sensor.... I know if the intake tube isn't sealed right it will act all stupid like what you're experiencing.

seeing as the factory plastic tube is nearing 20 years old I'd check the whole tube and all your hose clamps from the air box to the throttle body. Look for any breaks in the tube.

copy that. ill take a look in the morning. i checked the tube when this whole event started but i didnt inspect the rubber gasket things on each end so ill look at them and report back with an update. :hammer:

my 86 ranger did the exact same thing. talk about a rodeo haha could barley hang on for the 8 seconds in the dang ranger! but try and replace the fuel filter. i replaced mine and if fixed it.

well i checked out the intake tube and gaskets and all was good. i replaced the fuel filter on saturday when i replaced the MAF. i took it to a buddy of mine who in a mechanic and he looked over it and found one of the main wiring harness connections was loose and corroded. so we cleaned that and reconnected it and she runs like a champ. :D

well i checked out the intake tube and gaskets and all was good. i replaced the fuel filter on saturday when i replaced the MAF. i took it to a buddy of mine who in a mechanic and he looked over it and found one of the main wiring harness connections was loose and corroded. so we cleaned that and reconnected it and she runs like a champ. :D

Which harness connector was bad? I have an 94 Eddie that runs rough at idle but smooths out at speed. I tried cleaning the IAC valve and didn't help much, I'll try it again when I get time off from work, I'll replace it if I have to. She has over 196K and just did the plugs and wires, and when I feel I need to clean the MAF, I do, I can recognize the symptoms of a dirty MAF, and haven't had to clean mine in over 20K. Do the TPS's go bad in these trucks? If I replace both the TPS and the IAC, do I do them both at once and let the ECM get used to both NEW sensors at the same time? Or let one "learn" one then the other? Pull the neg wire too to reset the ECM I'd imagine.

Thanks for any tips!! :D

Greg

like the main wireing harness connection. from what my bud said its got some screws that hold it together and those had just backed out over time and the connection was way loose and what not. so he cleaned it and put it back together good as new and she runs like a champ now.:D

like the main wireing harness connection. from what my bud said its got some screws that hold it together and those had just backed out over time and the connection was way loose and what not. so he cleaned it and put it back together good as new and she runs like a champ now.:D

Glad you got it figured out.

You have to love the stupid things that wiggle loose and give you tons of grief...:rolleyes:

Back