Dual Moon roof Rattle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Moon roof Rattle

stlokcphx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
The rear (second) moon roof rattles towards the back of the car. There's a metal rim between the headliner and the glass which is the source of the rattle. If I press firmly up on the metal rim, the rattle stops. I'll be taking it into the dealer, but was curious if anyone else has encountered this, and if/how it was fixed. Other than this annoying rattle, I'm happy with the Explorer so far (although I've had the screen lock up a couple of times when I hooked up my iPhone).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First report seen between two boards. Hopefully dealer can remedy quickly.

I've actually heard one other person with most-likely the same problem: Moonroof rattles when it is open halfway or more and/or with the windows open. I'm surprised a buffer cushion wasn't already installed to prevent this regardless of clearance (can't be much) of the rim and glass.

Dealer installed some sealant between the black metal rim and the sunroof glass. Seems to have worked so far. Ford rep told me that they had this problem on some Explorers built in December (poor quality from supplier). Their fix at the plant was to use a flat-head screw driver and slightly bend the metal rim away from the glass.

@stlokcphx...I've never actuall built a car or worked at an assembly plant, but that flat-head screw driver solution doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

Dual Moonroof Rattle

I've noticed this rattle many times (in addition to the A-pillar) and it's clearly coming from the second moonroof in the back. This is driving me bat-**** crazy and really makes me hate this truck at times. I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same issue, and if so, is there any way to remedy this?
I find it unacceptable that a $50000+ truck, top of the line, modern in so many ways rattles like a friggin jingle truck! :thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

i don't have the dual panel moonroof but i know the dual panels on the ford edge was a problem also....i read numerous complaints about it on the edge forums and even some have reported the dual panel actually SHATTER....

I have MFT issues but the Explorer itself is solid. I have the dual moonroofs and not a peep so far anyway! Bring it in and tell them to please fix!!

+1, the dealer said they could not duplicate it, seems to be geting worse. Mine sounds like it is from the front roof.... Time for another trip in...

CDN, no issues from my dual panel roof yet ( knock on wood).

I have ~6500 miles. I started to notice it around 4k

Couldn't tell you for sure when I first noticed it but my best guess would be around 15k (km) although I'm sure it did it before that already, I was just focusing on the a pillar and drowned it by cranking up the stereo to keep me from dropping the truck off at the ford dealer for good. It's a great truck if it's wasn't for a few major construction fails.

I know that learning all the little noises of each of your owned vehicles is part of the process, but when you pay 45 k for any vehicle, I'm expecting no noises, the A-Pillar noise is too much. I've experienced the buffeting already, with only one window down, so you have to crack the other window. I'm thinking the engineers were sleeping on this one, but who knows. First big rain today, let's see if she leaks, right!

I know that learning all the little noises of each of your owned vehicles is part of the process, but when you pay 45 k for any vehicle, I'm expecting no noises, the A-Pillar noise is too much. I've experienced the buffeting already, with only one window down, so you have to crack the other window. I'm thinking the engineers were sleeping on this one, but who knows. First big rain today, let's see if she leaks, right!

Fully agreed, it's 2011 and it's not the first car ever built by Ford. Those seem like beginner mistakes. Anyways, I dropped it off to have the A pillars replaced again and told them my MFT was acting up too, not syncing to my iPhone anymore and my nav became mute, without me muting it. Then I mentioned the sunroof rattle and really started expressing my frustrations to the point where I told them that I regretted buying it. I traded in an amazing VW GLI for it that I loved to now have a truck I hate(at times). I told them about the poor fuel economy, I get 20 miles at best, nowhere near the 30 they promised. The clip on the rain sensor keeps falling off, everything rattles and the roof is hollow and tinny sounding when it rains. They had a 2007 X5 on the lot, fully loaded. Had it not been for BMW's retarded expensive tires I would have swapped them out.
The dealer feeling my frustration said they would do everything they can to fix all the issues and for the first time offered me a car to drive in the meantime. So now I wait and see if they can keep their word. I didn't buy a brand new car, top of the line to be bringing it to the dealer every 2 weeks to have something fixed.
That's my rant for the day.

So, got my car back, all fixed up!! Pretty happy with the outcome. No more rattles!!! :)

For anyone else that has the sunroof rattle, take a 5/16 socket with extension and tighten the 4 or 5 bolts along each side of the back moonroof. Mine was rattling like crazy, after tightening the bolts that hold it to the roof the rattles are gone.

Thanks!! I"ve been looking to take care of this myself. It happened to me too noticed it at around 7000 miles but with more miles progressively got worse.

Thanks Tmilicia!

dual moonroof rattle?

Has anybody experience a slight rattle coming from the sunroof/moonroof glass on a windy day? It's definitely not the a-pillars because I had that problem and the TSb fixed it. However, there is a slight rattle coming from the roof area. I'm wondering if the glass on the roof has become loose. Probably get it looked at on the next service visit, but I really don't want them messing with it too much and then get stuck with a leaky roof.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup.. coming from the front of it.. windy days dont do it for me.. it does it on bumpy/rough roads

Back