2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hey all,

Cory has been out sick these past few days. I assure you, we are listening and currently reviewing this concern. If you are experiencing a loss of steering, please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state, along with the details of your specific issue. Our team will look further into this. Your continued patience is appreciated.

Seni

Good to here from you again, Seni!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I've had the same problem, bought mine in Apr, 1st time steering assist went out was around 6000 miles, when it went out the Service ADV Trac came on, then like yours it became driveable again the next day. Took it in and service dept said it was the steering sensor. They replaced the sensor the next day and all was well but then the cruise control and steering wheel phone controls wouldnt work. Another overnite and all was well. This week at 6900 miles the steering again went out with same indicators as 1st time. Now dealer is stumped, was supposed to hook up maint computer and go on line today with Ford, but they were having computer problems. My real concern is what happens if my wife is driving it when it happens a third time

Thank you for the well wishes, everyone. Seni was kind enough to break from her Twittering to request the details I would need to escalate your concern. If you’ve experienced this and you haven’t already done so, please send a private message with your contact information, VIN, dealer info, and mileage.

Cory

Those are the warnings my wife saw

Great pics! I just had my wife take a look at these two pics and they are exact to what she saw when she was driving the truck around 45-50 MPH. We got the song and dance from the dealership and they told use with out them being able to see these, they could do nothing!!!

I guess is going to take someone getting hurt before we can get a fix/resolution on this problem. By now it should be obvious something is wrong and something besides waiting should be done.

I just saw the news that the 2011 Sonata has a problem with steering "wondering" of course and it took about 4,000 complaints to Hyundai for them to start doing maintenence (not a recall as they call it). See the link below for the story in the Autoweek mag. They involved the The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also, so maybe we all need to start hitting them up with our problems and see what they say.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/201..._prone_to_wandering&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

Great pics! I just had my wife take a look at these two pics and they are exact to what she saw when she was driving the truck around 45-50 MPH. We got the song and dance from the dealership and they told use with out them being able to see these, they could do nothing!!!...
I’d like to help by having this looked into further. I made sure that you’ll be called later today.

Cory

Thanks Cory. She did call, but I work for the Navy in a huge and old brick and steel building and cell phone signal there is none. I got her message and expect a call from her next week.

Thanks Cory. She did call, but I work for the Navy in a huge and old brick and steel building and cell phone signal there is none. I got her message and expect a call from her next week.
2011 Explorer,
I’m glad to hear that. I verified that you’ll be called by tomorrow at the latest. Keep us in the loop with the progress and drop me a line if you’d like additional help.

Cory

Happened to my Wife too with our son in the Ex!

My wife called me very frantic and worked up and yelling at me like I designed the damn thing...

Well she told me that all the lights came up and she couldn't steer. So I get home we take the Ex to the Dealer before I go on a buiness trip to Peru, not a great feeling of something like this happening while you're gone. So it happened to her twice that same day.

Dealer reprogrammed it and told me that they did see a code but not a fault to replace or diagnose any specific item...

So yesterday coming home from drinking with some buddies my wife is driving and it lights up like a drag strip trip lights and she couldn't steer GREAT!! I had to assist her in turning the wheel to get off the road into a parking light. All while MFT went through a reboot, which she didn't mention it the first time around. I'm gonna have to check with her again to see if MFT screen rebooted when that happened.

ANYONE have a clue if MFT software is tied into the rest of the electronics of this vehicle?

I restarted the Ex two or three times and we finally were able to continue our short trip back home.

I'm just worried about this happening on my upcoming move to Texas and pulling a boat....NOW that would sucks balls if it was to happen again. Going to have to take it back to the dealer AGAIN!! Jesus!!

...I restarted the Ex two or three times and we finally were able to continue our short trip back home...
TIO M,

I want to see the issues you’re experienced taken care, so I’m offering my help by sending this to the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to do this, please send a PM with your contact information, approximate mileage, VIN, and dealer name/state.

Cory

ANYONE have a clue if MFT software is tied into the rest of the electronics of this vehicle?

No, it isn't tied.

Any chance you knocked something loose during the CAI, dyno runs, exhaust? That would be my bet.

No, it isn't tied.

Any chance you knocked something loose during the CAI, dyno runs, exhaust? That would be my bet.

I'd be more inclined to think this is not the case since we are seeing others experience the same problem with power steering loss. I'm hoping we get an official Ford response regarding this issue as it seems to be affecting a lot of people and is a HUGE safety/liability risk.

I'll definitely be following this thread and hoping my wife nor myself will experience this issue.

One more thing to worry about with this car. *sigh*

I'll take rattling A pillars and quirky MFT all day, but when the steering system malfunctions, it's another thing entirely. This sounds like a software gremlin because it leaves no trouble code and no apparent hints about its origin. Plus "rebooting" (aka turning the vehicle off and back on) clears up the problem.

It's one thing to power cycle MFT to bring it back. Annoying but harmless. It's another thing to lose steering on the highway and HOPEFULLY make onto the side of the road in one piece to power cycle the car.

Please do a recall Ford

Its hard to believe this is still happening to people. My dealer put a new steering rack in in June. I've had no problems since then, but I can only assume that even with a brand new steering rack that the inherent defect in the steering system still exists. When I started this thread 4 months ago, I really didn't expect to find out that so many others have experienced the same problem I did.

I guess my 4-year old should start riding with my wife in her Civic. Sad.

Was thinking of taking the EX on a run from New Orleans to Memphis in Nov. Wife and mother-in-law voted to take my 2010 F150 XLT Supercrew because it has more room. I wanted to try the EX on the open road. Now I'm thinking the F150 is #1 choice.

Been Busy at work after I got back from Lima, Cory you got PM!

Was thinking of taking the EX on a run from New Orleans to Memphis in Nov. Wife and mother-in-law voted to take my 2010 F150 XLT Supercrew because it has more room. I wanted to try the EX on the open road. Now I'm thinking the F150 is #1 choice.

I took my Ex to and from Hot Springs from Miami, with no issues. I'm just not quite sure why its happening now. Its weird, the ex was very comfy and my family and nieces loved it! So have a little faith my friend its not a total loss.

I took my Ex to and from Hot Springs from Miami, with no issues. I'm just not quite sure why its happening now. Its weird, the ex was very comfy and my family and nieces loved it! So have a little faith my friend its not a total loss.
TIO M,

I’ve been a bit busy too! I have a few messages ahead of yours so I’ll reply as soon as I can.

Cory

Well took my Explorer in to the dealer last Friday, they changed the right strut out. Of course they say the creaking is gone.....WRONG! LOL, its louder.

They did order a replacement part for the steering rack/electronics box on it. It did give a fault code and the service rep told me that they have to replace it. WOW!! Cory if anything can you please help them find a replacement asap! Thank you!

So we'll see what happens!

...Cory if anything can you please help them find a replacement asap! Thank you!...
TIO M,

I arranged for you to be called about this and I sent you a PM with more info. Please check your inbox for the details.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cory!! You're awesome, thank you for the push. I was contacted by the dealer and told me to hold my breath til the 31st of October and or first week of November, but the Regional Rep called me and told me that he'll get a part expedited so he'll give me a call on Monday. Awesome, I like fast service like this from Ford. Thanks again Cory! I appreciate the help!!

Back