Anyone up for drawing a wiring diagram? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone up for drawing a wiring diagram?

I just got in 4 100w lights for my custom roofrack. I also ordered a 12v remote for them so I wouldn't have to mount a switch in the cab.

Here's the plan:
The wiring will enter through the rear hatch, and all of my components (relays, remote switch, fuses) will be mounted back there. I plan on running a 10-12ga. wire directly from my battery to the rear of my ex, as I've assumed there would not be a sufficient 12v power source back there to tap into. The lights will only be switched by the remote, and not wired to my headlights or fogs.

Now all I need is to get it wired up. I'm hoping someone would like to take the challenge of drawing up a simple wiring diagram for me. I'm planning on hooking everything up on Saturday/Sunday.

Here is a photo of the lights and switch:

100_2639.jpg

The lights all have a 12v and ground wire. The switch has 2 ground wires, 1 12v in and 1 12v out.

Thanks in advance for all the help. I can't wait to be able to get back at people who drive with their high beams on all the time :cool:

-Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. After installing the brush guard I've decided I want 2 more lights on that too. Can everything just stay the same and I tack on a third relay? Or do I need to go heavier on all the wire too? I already ordered the new lights. So it's gotta happen somehow =]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. After installing the brush guard I've decided I want 2 more lights on that too. Can everything just stay the same and I tack on a third relay? Or do I need to go heavier on all the wire too? I already ordered the new lights. So it's gotta happen somehow =]

What watt are the lights?

100w just like the other 4. So it'll be 600w total.

Alright so to figure out the amps you'd do 600watts/12volt=50Amps. Now just check out the link Bill Kemp posted above and find the wire size that'll support it for your run and run it from batt to relay location. Then use the same formula to figure out what size wire to run from relay's to lights.

Ok, so I can't find a 12v 50a fuse anywhere. I can find a 32v 50a fuse though. Will that work? If not can I run a 30a and 20a in parallel or series???

If I do 600 watts/32v I get 18.75 Amps, so would a 32v 20a fuse do the same thing???

HiImBrian said:
Ok, so I can't find a 12v 50a fuse anywhere. I can find a 32v 50a fuse though. Will that work? If not can I run a 30a and 20a in parallel or series???

If I do 600 watts/32v I get 18.75 Amps, so would a 32v 20a fuse do the same thing???

Cancel that. As long as its a minimum of 12V it's fine.

The lights work! And on the first try too!

08664b4b.jpg

299b8bfb.jpg

90a01a5c.jpg

Back