How to: - Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex. | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
>>>>>>>>
they said I'd have to replace the whole blend door housing. I've tried to find the parts online but can't seem to find what I need. The part the mechanic said I needed comes a kit with the blend door housing and actuator. He said it would be expensive. Does anyone know what the part number(s) are to correct this?
>>>>>>>>>

I don't have the part numbers for the "Blend Door Box" you are looking for, but a Ford Dealership told me the "Blend Door Box" would cost approx $400.00, part only. The Actuator motor costs $82 + tax at a Ford Dealership. You can get the Actuator for around $62 shipping cost included, from Silver State Ford Products, they are a little cheaper. They have a web site. There is a fix posted on this web site to repair the Blend Door itself and there is a company that sells the replacement door kit to do this self fix. The ad for this blend door is " http://www.heatertreater.net/?gclid=COaQz63ux6sCFULe4Aoduj5o7A " also this " http://www.heatertreater.net/Ford Explorer 02-08.html " I want to say the part costs $15 if I remember the ad right and the fix requires you to cut a hole in the side of the plastic blend door box to access and R&R the blend door. Would save you a ton of money if you are able to do this type of fix yourself. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the additional info. I considered the heatertreater option however I prefer not to perform this type of work. I received a quote for both the blend door box and actuator for 275, I'm going with this option. I'll post the part number if I get one.

Just finished this repair, thanks for the great write-up!

Hi; I need help. I am living in MN. I went to Ford dealerSSSSS looking for A/CHeater Blend Door Actuator for FORD EXPLORER 2004 XLT. They said, They don't understand what I am talking about. Would you please help me which way should I ask them or if you have a part number please give to me. My car is 2004 Ford Explorer XLT with manual AC/heat. Thank you

This is the part number I received from Tousley Ford website for the actuator. 1L2Z-19E616-CA. I found out the blend door housing was much more than 275, probably around 500. Not happy with Fords, won't be buying again.

i am a new member here i just want to thank you for this post you saved me $600 replaced it my self first time i ever did anything on my car besides clean it lol and my car is blasting heat like brand new ....i managed to replace it without cutting the dash with a 8mm box end wrench took me a long time and lots of patients but this thread was amazing and very very very helpful thank you again ...

I found out the blend door housing was much more than 275, probably around 500. Not happy with Fords, won't be buying again.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was quoted $400 from a Ford dealership here for the Blend Door Box and the blend door actuator $82 was a seperate part that bolts on to it. Be sure you really need the whole blend door box and your blend door itself is bad, because you may just need a new blend door actuator. Ford guy said the actuator is usually the part that goes bad. Also, I hear you on "Ford Vehicles", I'm not happy with some of the problems I have had on this Explorer, especially these dashboard control issues for heat and AC, things that should never go bad, but what burns my ass is the lousy transmissions in them. I've had more Ford trannys die than any other vehicle I have owned in the last 34 years. I've also heard that Chevy's'/GM's aren't much better, have their own problems. In the future, I'll probably stick with a vehicle from one of the big 3 US automakers, because buying a foreign vehicle would make me feel Un-American, even if some of them are made in the USA these days.

i am a new member here i just want to thank you for this post you saved me $600 replaced it my self first time i ever did anything on my car besides clean it lol and my car is blasting heat like brand new ....i managed to replace it without cutting the dash with a 8mm box end wrench took me a long time and lots of patients but this thread was amazing and very very very helpful thank you again ...

You are welcome. Glad I could help out!! :D

Hi; I need help. I am living in MN. I went to Ford dealerSSSSS looking for A/CHeater Blend Door Actuator for FORD EXPLORER 2004 XLT. They said, They don't understand what I am talking about. Would you please help me which way should I ask them or if you have a part number please give to me. My car is 2004 Ford Explorer XLT with manual AC/heat. Thank you

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

The part number is specific to your vehicle. There is no 1 part for all the Ex's. You must give the dealer your VIN to ensure you get the correct part.

I just went into the dealer and told them I needed the front temp blend door actuator. They knew exactly what is was. I will check my shop manuals to see if I can find out exactly what Ford calls the part and post what I find out.

Thank You for this, made it really easy to get this repaired, I got a part from a part store that may not have been an OEM part but will work until I get an OEM part.

I was able to get this done without cutting the dash.

Thank You soo much for the post and I printed the pics into a booklet so when I get an OEM part I can do this again.

Thank You for this, made it really easy to get this repaired, I got a part from a part store that may not have been an OEM part but will work until I get an OEM part.

I was able to get this done without cutting the dash.

Thank You soo much for the post and I printed the pics into a booklet so when I get an OEM part I can do this again.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

You are welcome. Glad I could help out!

Not sure...

Yesterday I started hearing this when I switched from cold to hot on my '03 Explorer. It's not the quick clicking I've heard described in other posts. What do you think?

https://files.me.com/rpbc/viat7m.mp3

Can't get any sound from the file. :dunno:

Sorry the .mp3 is not working for you...it does for me...I can hear the door thump, thump, thump...not a quick clicking noise. If I turn the air to hot and put the fan to max, I hear a thump and then I've got hot air...

Big Rondo, did you go online and order the actuator? because I am online on fordparts.com looking for the part and i found a blend door motor, but am not sure exactly what part to get..

Big Rondo, do you know the part number off hand? because i am on fordparts.com right now looking for the part and i found blend door motor but not actuator...and im not sure what part to get if im choosing from one of the blend door motors..

Sorry the .mp3 is not working for you...it does for me...I can hear the door thump, thump, thump...not a quick clicking noise. If I turn the air to hot and put the fan to max, I hear a thump and then I've got hot air...

Sounds like you are having the same trouble I had. The "thump" hear with the fan on max is most likely the blend door being blown shut. Same thing was happening to me.

Big Rondo, did you go online and order the actuator? because I am online on fordparts.com looking for the part and i found a blend door motor, but am not sure exactly what part to get..

Big Rondo, do you know the part number off hand? because i am on fordparts.com right now looking for the part and i found blend door motor but not actuator...and im not sure what part to get if im choosing from one of the blend door motors..

I got my actuator at my local ford dealer.

You need to give them your VIN to ensure you get the correct part. There is no universal part number. The part is VIN specific.

You need the temperature blend door actuator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back