2003 Explorer blend door (clicking noise). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer blend door (clicking noise).

bai1962

Reaction score
City, State
Golden, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
I have read enough on here to know that my 2003 Explorer is having the blend door problem and found directions for replacing it for a 2004 Explorer. I followed all the directions and pulled the center console, but now I still can't get into the dash. The directions talk about pulling the lower dash pad, but it seems to all be connected to the full dash pad. Can anyone help???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did mine in my 2004 over the weekend. As in the earlier posts, You need to remove the console, center stack trim panel (around the radio), the trim panel below the steering column. I also removed the lh instrument panel brace (from floor to IP) and the lh floor duct. This allowed me a little more wrench room and the ability to move the wiring harness out of the way to wiggle the actuator out after un-screwing it. It still took me about 3 hours to take all apart carefully and hang upside down trying to get the new one in place properly. Although I also did some cleaning of everything before re-assembly. Good luck and I hope this helps.

welcome

Blend door

crstanton, are you talking about removing the silver strap that runs from the floor up towards the radio? I thought about doing that, but it was not mentioned in the instructions I had.

Yep, That's the one. There are two bolts at the top and two nuts at the bottom under the carpeting. This lets you remove the lh floor vent duct (two more screws). This will buy you a lot more working room for the two lower actuator mounting screws. I used a 8mm open & box end wrench to get them out. It also allows you to get to the christmas tree push pin for the wiring harness that runs next to the actuator. With this loose you can move the wiring harness out of the way a little bit to get the actuator in and out.

where did you getrthe instructions to take the dash apart and fix the blend door

'03 explorer Blend air door acuator replacement.
. just replaced mine thanks to u guys. crstanton2 was right on with what needs to be done. definately need to remove stereo console (super easy), panel under steering column (super easy), and lower center console. spent a good 2 hours on entire job.
. i looked on line for an aftermarket acuator and there were 2 reviews that said they had problems, so i went ahead and bought a new Ford part for 70.00. can't imagine what i would have paid a mechanic.
. so happy i found this forum !

yea i have the same problem with my 2004 is the directions the same as a 2003. casue i need to get this fixed..

yea i have the same problem with my 2004 is the directions the same as a 2003. casue i need to get this fixed..

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

There is the write-up for replacing the blend door actuator. Click here to go there now!

Good luck with the fix! :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

well just to let everyone know i fixed it some time ago myself, the install was very easy once you figure what it is you have to do, works like a charmm.

well just to let everyone know i fixed it some time ago myself, the install was very easy once you figure what it is you have to do, works like a charmm.

Thanks for the update!!

What was the fix? Inquiring minds want to know. :dunno:

well basicly, i just remeoved the center consule, the lower kick panel, the radio, and the panel under steering wheel. once everything was out of the way, i made a few cuts in the dash trim .( which does not show up after everything is back in place)..have to do this in order to pull the part of dash away far enough to get to blend door motor, which is really easy to change once you get to it.

it took about 5 min to replace the motor, making sure that blend door is in right position. then the places i cut, i just used some apoxy to reattach and then reverse the order which i took everything off. it works like a charm. suppose it took me about, hour forth five to do.

well basicly, i just remeoved the center consule, the lower kick panel, the radio, and the panel under steering wheel. once everything was out of the way, i made a few cuts in the dash trim .( which does not show up after everything is back in place)..have to do this in order to pull the part of dash away far enough to get to blend door motor, which is really easy to change once you get to it.

it took about 5 min to replace the motor, making sure that blend door is in right position. then the places i cut, i just used some apoxy to reattach and then reverse the order which i took everything off. it works like a charm. suppose it took me about, hour forth five to do.

Nicely done! :D:thumbsup:

i do have one other queston, not sure where to post it, but the engine light is on, i checked the code, says its a small vac leak, but not serious. if i remeber right was a emission thing.. any idea where that might be?

Back