Rear Camera - No Guidelines Show

bluelion

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 EX Limited
back up camera 'guide lines' OFF

so i noticed a few days ago that the 'guide lines' in the back up camera were not on the screen. i went into the menu and magically the option was on "off"...so i put it back "on", everything worked fine again.....then this morning, same thing. the guide lines were off again. i went into the menu and sure enough, guide lines were "off"....

how is the option keep turning itself OFF? i have been the only person driving the explorer so i know my wife didn't accidentally turn off the option.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's the magical world of MFT, where anything can happen....!

so i noticed a few days ago that the 'guide lines' in the back up camera were not on the screen. i went into the menu and magically the option was on "off"...so i put it back "on", everything worked fine again.....then this morning, same thing. the guide lines were off again. i went into the menu and sure enough, guide lines were "off"....

how is the option keep turning itself OFF? i have been the only person driving the explorer so i know my wife didn't accidentally turn off the option.

Bluelion,

Are any other settings doing the same thing? Let me know if you notice anything.

Thanks!

Rebecca

at the moment, no other options are doing this. i'll definitely let ya know if something up comes up.

I have a 2011 Explorer XLT. Storm did some damage to the rear hatch. That was replaced at a body shop along with the rear camera. Now I don't have the rear camera guidelines showing on the screen. I checked the settings and they are set to ON to show guidelines. Any idea why this may be happening? Is it a software issue or does something need to be reset at the dealer? I tried searching in the forum. Thanks for any help.:usa:

I have a 2011 Explorer XLT. Storm did some damage to the rear hatch. That was replaced at a body shop along with the rear camera. Now I don't have the rear camera guidelines showing on the screen. I checked the settings and they are set to ON to show guidelines. Any idea why this may be happening? Is it a software issue or does something need to be reset at the dealer? I tried searching in the forum. Thanks for any help.:usa:

Hmmm that is really odd. I'm not sure... but on the same topic.. did your guidelines move when you turned the steering wheel? I thought they did in the vehicle I test drive; but don't in the vehicle I bought!

No on my XLT I have the fixed guidelines. The ones which look something like bars on the left & right of the screen and are green, yellow, and red. I'm not sure what option package includes the adjusting guidelines or if that only comes with the LTD.

No on my XLT I have the fixed guidelines. The ones which look something like bars on the left & right of the screen and are green, yellow, and red. I'm not sure what option package includes the adjusting guidelines or if that only comes with the LTD.

Mine don't move on my LTD. The moving lines are over-rated anyway. The Cayenne has them, and I don't find it a bit of help parking. It still takes a second shot to square the car up. If after a couple of weeks driving the Explorer, you can't back into a space with the camera, you need some remedial training.

Mine don't move on my LTD. The moving lines are over-rated anyway. The Cayenne has them, and I don't find it a bit of help parking. It still takes a second shot to square the car up. If after a couple of weeks driving the Explorer, you can't back into a space with the camera, you need some remedial training.

I have a Limited and have both Active and Fixed lines. According to the manual, for the Active lines there are 3 settings. Active + Fixed, Fixed and OFF. I do find the moving lines to be helpful in some situations.
For the Fixed lines, they can be set to either ON or OFF.

I love the active lines, when backing into parking spots it is nearly 100% accurate. I believe you have to have the parking assist feature to have the active lines feature.

I love the active lines, when backing into parking spots it is nearly 100% accurate. I believe you have to have the parking assist feature to have the active lines feature.

that's correct.... i have a ltd 301a and have the guidelines but not the active guidelines....

to the OP, so prior to having the hatch repaired, you DID have guidelines? if so, i would take it back to the shop that made the repairs.

i had an issue a couple times that MFT would turn OFF the guidelines by itself and i would have to manually push the ON button in the mornings....but your issue sounds different.

I am not positive, but I believe the moving lines are part of or included with the Park Assist option.

I am not positive, but I believe the moving lines are part of or included with the Park Assist option.

That is what I just said lol

Isn't there some sort of registration/calibration that needs to be done? I have a faint recollection of that being discussed some where in this board...

No active rear camera guidelines

My guidelines vanished last week, all settings Menu/vehicle/rear camera are set to active+fixed and on and the preview shows what I used to have. Going to dealer for answer. BTW, my friends 2011 LTD also lost the guidelines today. Something vewwy squewwy, around here!:banghead:

You dont have to go to dealer its all in the settings if you did a mft reboot or the system it self rebooted then you have to go back into setting and re set it ! It has happen to me twice.

Thanx, NJ, but I took out the fuse and waited for 3 minutes, started the vehicle for 3 minutes, then replaced the fuse. Started the Ex and waited until the Sync went through it's process (another 3 minutes on the screen). Reset the camera settings to active+fixed and still no guidelines. I'm stumped!

I think thats not the only setting not sure i'm not by my car at this momment but i could be wrong. I really think there is another setting play around with it !

I have the exact same problem, autobody shop replaced my liftgate and now the camera has no guidelines after they replaced it as well.

body shop says dealer didn't give any instructions.

is there some configuration that needs the dealer to do? shld this 'extra' work comes from the insurance or from the auto body shop?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the exact same problem, autobody shop replaced my liftgate and now the camera has no guidelines after they replaced it as well.

body shop says dealer didn't give any instructions.

is there some configuration that needs the dealer to do? shld this 'extra' work comes from the insurance or from the auto body shop?
Do you get the different coloured warning zones when backing up to an object?
Also it would be very helpful to know which model/year you have since some answers do not apply to all models. If you enter that info in your vehicle specs profile it should show up in the left hand column. That would be very useful info so we can provide the appropriate replies.

Peter

Back