Removing 3rd row for fully functional storage comparment PROJECT! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing 3rd row for fully functional storage comparment PROJECT!

Triton8273

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
In addition to my latest project "clearance lights" which the weather has been stopping me from doing.

I will be ripping the 3rd row seat out and making a two part compartment. It will function almost the same way as before. I will lay out an entire deck and make my cuts from there, with the smaller section where the jack is folding forward as it did, and the larger section folding towards the back.

I have not decided if i will make any organized sections, so for time time being it will just be two separate compartments. Possibly with gas springs to lift them up.

As opposed to using plywood with carpet on top, I will be using a material that many of you may not be familiar with unless you work in the marine industry. We call it Starboard or "marine plywood" and what it is is a plastic polymar board that is generally used in 1/4 inch just like plywood. Similar flexing capabilities but stronger and obviously wont rot.

Once I have it all finished I will add pics to this thread along with exact tools needed and exact measurements on the starboard so all you have to do is make the cuts and install it.

UPDATE:

TOOLS NEEDED!

5/16 socket
5/8 Spark Plug Socket
TORXT50 Socket

Vacuum and hazmat suit. :D
This is the left side when facing forward, you have these bolts on both sides of the seat, front and back.
6288755917_e14a2d5588.jpg

To remove the bottom cushion, just fold it back and lift off.
6288735907_dac3bb3de2.jpg

Once you remove the bottom cushion, and unbolt the back rest. You will be left with the buckles which a held in with the TORX bolt which was a real ***** to get to move.
6289255724_8709d7fc2c.jpg

For the next few days it will go untouched, but the tool boxes still sit real nice on those side ledges.
6288735895_bde59a95fa.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was planning on doing the same when I tradeup to a 3rd Gen. I would really like to see how yours turn out. Thanks

I have 1st dibbs on my oldest step-dau. EB 04, 4dr w/3rd row seat. Nice truck, 2" hitch w/towing package, 4WD and all the extras. Ford should never have put in a 3rd row seating, if you ever had to ride back there, its a killer on your legs & back.

you guys must think im crazy for swapping IN a third row...

triton, if you have any junkyards near you just pull all the floor pieces from the second row to the back of the truck from a non third row ex and swap it into yours. i did the same thing except i added a third row and threw away my old pieces

Standing by for pics..........................:popcorn:

Interested. Been wanting to do something like this too.

First post has been updated.

I had some free time when I got to work this morning so I unbolted the 3rd row seat.

If your someone who actually uses the 3rd row or bought your truck used...I suggest unbolting the entire thing and clean under there b/c mine was nasty. I found the usual pennies and nickles, no quarters :(, a petrified cheeto, and oh yea...30 little maggots (all dead) good ####ing god! lol

Space was a little smaller than I had hoped for so I may change my plan around a little and not make the compartment flush. Prob going to add 2-3inches of height.

Hoping to get started by Wednesday

Updates on your removal? I have a 3rd row seat and probably will never EVER use it. In fact I have already started looking into junk yards for parts from the 5 passenger to replace my rear panels.
:thumbsup:

Updates on your removal? I have a 3rd row seat and probably will never EVER use it. In fact I have already started looking into junk yards for parts from the 5 passenger to replace my rear panels.
:thumbsup:

The project is finished enough to show what I did but there is still a little work left, it was a hell of a project to take on, but here's how it sits now.

The 2x4 is not permanent lol
picture.php

picture.php

THAT IS FANTASTIC!!! I want to steal your idea. Remember imitation is the most sincere form of a good compliment. I am guessing this is not plywood as you said before you were going to use a marine grade plywood. How did you make it? Dimensions would be fantastic!!:thumbsup: You have inspired me to rip out the useless 3rd row and build my own storage box! My previous 2006 did not have a 3rd row but this one does and i want it out and gone!

Giving you demensions will unfortunately only help you a little since it was a very difficult project to do because all of the paneling in the back was a PITA since there aren't straight edges. Especially the piece at the rear was the biggest ***** lol.

When I get a chance I'll take some more detailed photo's so you can see why it sucked so much.

So are you saying it was or was not worth the effort to remove the seat? I want storage capacity and removing those seats not only reduces weight but gives me options for holding cargo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So are you saying it was or was not worth the effort to remove the seat? I want storage capacity and removing those seats not only reduces weight but gives me options for holding cargo.

It was definitely worth it. But the amount of hours and thought that went into it is something most 3rd gen guys don't want to do.

I will try and give you as much detail as possible to help you out.

Do you plan on making it as high as I did and you want a **** ton of space or are you just looking to get a flat area like the 3rd gens that didn't come with the 3rd row seat or do you definitively want to take advantage of every inch of space possible?

Back