Climate Settings With Remote Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Climate Settings With Remote Start

JStellato

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Is there a way to have the heated seats turn on automagically when using remote start?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, BUT when you get in the vehicle and 'start' the vehicle, you will need to select 'heat seats' again....

i'm going off of memory, but if you go to the left menu on the front display, go to driver settings, then heated seats, then you have the option to either 'last setting' or 'auto'.

Is there a way to have the heated seats turn on automagically when using remote start?

Thanks!
yes, BUT when you get in the vehicle and 'start' the vehicle, you will need to select 'heat seats' again....

i'm going off of memory, but if you go to the left menu on the front display, go to driver settings, then heated seats, then you have the option to either 'last setting' or 'auto'.
JStellato,

You can set the heated seats to AUTO in the message center so they turn on when the Explorer is remote started (like bluelion mentioned).

The following tip can also be found on pages 69/70 of the 2012 Explorer Owner Guide 2nd Printing under the REMOTE START CLIMATE OPERATION section:

“Automatic climate control:
For hot weather conditions:
• The interior cabin will be set to 72°F (22°C).
• The cooled seats (if equipped and if the feature is selected to AUTO
in the message center) will be set to high.
For cold weather conditions:
• The interior cabin will be set to 72°F (22°C).
• The heated seats (if equipped and if the feature is selected to AUTO
in the message center) will be set to high.
• Rear defrost/heated mirrors (if equipped) will be activated.”

To get a free digital copy of your Owner Guide, you can download one by going to the URL: http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage and selecting your vehicle from the drop down boxes. :)

Cory

I think temp has to be pretty chilly for them to be on.

This might be a dumb question, but what does the system consider "cold? weather? I have a 2011 Explorer XLT. It was about 34 degrees here in NY today with about an inch of snow on my car. I used the remote start to warm up my car before going to work. When I got in the car the temp was at 69 degrees (where I left it when I last used it) and no front/rear defrost or heated seats were on (heated seat doesnt work anyway, not sure how a car gets out of the factory with features already failed). All of these are set to auto in the Remote Start settings.

Does the car need to warm up for a bit before the Auto stuff goes on?

Overal I love this car but just trying to deal with the little quirks

Hey Thanks for the info,

I tried it today, temperature 30 degrees in Maine. And the heated seats did not appear to be on. I had it set for auto, let it warm up about 10 minutes with the remote start.

Cold Weather Conditions is rather vague, what are the temperatures these features activate on?

Thanks

I park my edge in garage and they never come on.

JStellato,

You can set the heated seats to AUTO in the message center so they turn on when the Explorer is remote started (like bluelion mentioned).

I don't have that option. Mine has climate and defrost options only.

What and where is the message center? Is it the Sync screen, or the selections on the left of the steering wheel? I know I set it all up when I first got the car, but I think I lost settings when I did the latest update.

What and where is the message center? Is it the Sync screen, or the selections on the left of the steering wheel? I know I set it all up when I first got the car, but I think I lost settings when I did the latest update.

Left of the steering wheel.........two choices only

So maybe I'm missing something, I have an XLT and there is no Auto option for seat heating. Only the two levels or off.

Hey guys,

If the weather was that cold and the settings were correct, the seats would have come on. You can test to see if you can feel the heated seats warming by sitting in the Explorer and remote starting it.

This note can be also be found on page 69 of the 2012 Explorer Owner Guide 2nd Printing under the REMOTE START CLIMATE OPERATION section:

“Note: No climate control adjustments will be recognized during remote start operation and none of the climate function indicators will be illuminated while the vehicle is in remote start. Once the ignition is cycled to the on position, the climate control system will return to the previous settings (last ignition-on cycle) and adjustments can be made normally. If the previous setting was off, the climate control system will turn off.
If you previously had any of the following activated: heated seats (if equipped), cooled seats (if equipped), heated mirrors (if equipped), or rear defrost, they will not return to their previous settings (on) when the ignition is turned on and will need to be re-activated if desired.”

For a free digital copy of the Owner Guide, you can go to the URL: http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage and choose your vehicle from the drop down boxes.

Cory

Hi Cory,

I went out and tried this today, temperature was well below Zero, ice all over the windows and roof. Did the remote start 2X, ran entire time both starts.

No heated seats

Confirmed DIC settings are set to AUTO

??????????

Sgt1411 said:
Hi Cory,

I went out and tried this today, temperature was well below Zero, ice all over the windows and roof. Did the remote start 2X, ran entire time both starts.

No heated seats

Confirmed DIC settings are set to AUTO

??????????

Mine is doing the same thing........no heated seats when using remote start, and the setting is correct (auto).
I wonder about the a/c seats working correctly in the heat.......

Yeah, I'm in Maine, we actually just tried this about 20 minutes ago here. Remote start for 10 minutes, temperature in the cabin was ok. Heated seats were not noticeably on.

However when I pressed my hand down on the center of the seat I felt a minor warmth.

Thermo equalibrium...possibly, but no seriously I think they do turn on just lower than the lowest setting. Which is pretty lame.:(

Heated seats aren't working with RS for me either. I verified that setting is set to auto. Running MFT 2.11

Mine is doing the same thing........no heated seats when using remote start, and the setting is correct (auto).
I wonder about the a/c seats working correctly in the heat.......

I don't believe the AC seats work properly either. I had a post about this a while back and all I got was a bunch of "experts" tell me I was obviously mistaken.

-- Lee

...I went out and tried this today, temperature was well below Zero, ice all over the windows and roof. Did the remote start 2X, ran entire time both starts.

No heated seats...
Wow, that sounds really cold, Sgt1411! :eek: If the heated seats didn’t turn on even when set to auto, I recommend scheduling a dealer appointment to have it checked. For extra help, I recommend calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center @ 1-800-565-3673 and explain what you’re experiencing.

If anyone in the US would like help, I’m happy to lend a hand by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do this, send a PM with your VIN, approximate mileage, contact information, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back