Wipers won't park & only work on Hi | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wipers won't park & only work on Hi

I know this thread is stale, but wanted to give the following information.

Yesterday, I took my wipers off to paint them since they were severely faded. I got them done and reattached them. Low and behold, now mine only work on high. So I came here searching and found some great ideas to look at. I also got out my repair manual and discovered there are two relays in the power distro box under the hood. So I wanted to make sure the relays were seated correctly and all of them, not just the wiper ones, were loose. When I presses down on them to make sure they were tight, they all went down about 1/16" to 1/8" inch. Needless to say after that, everything was working correctly.

Now that was the first time I've had the cover off the power box since I bought my 2000 XLT brand new. Just thought I'd share.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Now mine have the same "high only" symptom. I'm going to search for this "control box" and when/if I get it out, you can believe I will be snapping photos.

So let me ask, for those what have had this problem, was it intermittent? What I am discovering is that yesterday afternoon they only worked on high, and when I turned the switch off, the wipers stopped where ever they were on the windshield. So I went to the store, and on the way home it started sprinkling a little, so out of habit I turned the wipers on, and they worked perfectly. I then had to run another errand, and they were working on high only. Again on the way home, they were working fine again. It almost seems like if they are working fine, they stay that way until the ignition is turned off. Then if I restart to go somewhere, they may start working on high only. Does the wiring for the multifunction switch connect to the ignition switch at all?

Just thought I'd add to the info on here... My wipers were having the lame issues...Do yourself a favor if you have a problem like this and check the relays first so you dont wind up going through the hassle of taking the shrouds off of your steering coloumn and removing a perfectly good multifunction switch and having to return a new one you spent 64 bucks on (stealership wanted $123.) Or worse, trying to replace wipermotors that are perfectly fine.

Anyhow.

Swap your horn relay(relay 1) (provided your horn works) with relay 2 (wiper run relay) and see if that fixed it. If that doesn't work try putting that horn relay into relay 3 (wiper high/low relay) spot. That should tell you which relay is goin out or if it's even a relay issue. Start with the easy fix first It could end up saving you time and money. (thats the relay numbers for a second gen fuse box though . I dunno if !st gen is the same.)

Ok, now I feel like an idiot!

My Explorer was having the same issue (wipers only working on High), so I went to a junk yard and picked up the switch/turn signal assembly, assuming it was that. It didn't fix the problem. So, I went back and picked up the wiper motor. Still no go.

Finally, I decided to do some googling and stumbled upon this thread. I checked the relays and voila! There was the issue!

So I decided I needed to register and thank you, even though now I feel like an idiot! :eek:

Don't beat yourself down too bad. I ended up buying both the parking and high (I think) relays and haven't had the problem since. They were both the same relay and were only $10 each at O'Reilly Auto.

Ok, now I feel like an idiot!

My Explorer was having the same issue (wipers only working on High), so I went to a junk yard and picked up the switch/turn signal assembly, assuming it was that. It didn't fix the problem. So, I went back and picked up the wiper motor. Still no go.

Finally, I decided to do some googling and stumbled upon this thread. I checked the relays and voila! There was the issue!

So I decided I needed to register and thank you, even though now I feel like an idiot! :eek:

Wiper control module / governor service instructions

I also had the problem with the wipers only working on high, and not parking. It started as an intermittent problem which got worse and then quit altogether.

The problem is with my 1st generation Explorer (1991-1994). Just like another poster, I found the problem to be a bad solder joint in the wiper control governor. Once I found a diagram of the module location and a picture of the module, and gathered the correct tools, it took about 10 minutes to fix it. I thought I'd post the info here to help fill in any blanks for others who come across this problem, since I started here on my quest for details.

Obviously, this info is for after you determine that the module needs fixed or replaced. I looked through the forums here for help when I was making that determination. The biggest hindrance to my effort to find and fix the problem was with all the 2nd generation Explorer postings in the 1st generation threads. Thanks guys, but no thanks.

Tools needed: 7mm socket (or appropriate torx), ratchet, extension, small flat bladed screwdriver (to pry wires and also to open the module once removed), solder pencil & solder if the problem is a solder joint (or replacement module). I used a battery operated drill as well.

#1 Look at the pictures. It took a while to find them, but they really helped me. Search Google Images for "94 explorer wiper governor" if they come up missing in this post. The assembly pic is as viewed from inside the dash.
#2 Remove the plastic panel that is underneath the steering column (2 screws)
#3 Remove the metal plate which is underneath the plastic panel (4 screws)
#4 find module (to the right of steering column) & pry wire harness loose to allow access to the module's screws
#5 loosen the screws but do not remove the screws (2 screws)
#6 slide the module off its mount and detach its wire harness

Fix or replace the module and reverse instructions to re-install.

Pics:

2009-10-08_024851_governor.gif

SW2338.gif

I hope it helps somebody!

Hi to all the great brains out there. I hav a 2002 Explorer and the wipers only work on high and don't park. I have replaced the multifunction switch with no luck. I was told by ford that is not a controler on this model. Any thoughts on what it could be? Thanks for helping me think.

Followed this thread and a few others on trouble-shooting my wiper. Went straight to the module after reading all the histories. One site had various suggestions for getting to the module but none mentioned that the mount bracket could be removed to more easily access the screws holding the module.
Once you remove the plastic panel (2 screws) and the metal shield (screws), a 10mm nut is visible on the right side structure and another sheet metal screw on the lower right edge, just about below the left side of the ash tray. Remove these two fastners and the whole bracket drops free enough to easily access the module screws (mine were not torx, they were 7/32 hex). Whole process, about 15minute once you figure that out!
Mine was also a bad solder joint. Since this seems to be the primary failure, one must suspect over time current draw melts the solder joints. Only the power input to the relay was melted on mine.
Total time: module out 30 min; drive to Walmart for $10 soldering kit -30 min; solder 10 min (most heating the iron); module in 15 min (included re-removing lower panel, shield and bracket I had re-installed).

Thank You Crmorrison3 for the post.
This finally just happened to my 1991 Explorer :( just turned 223000 miles!
Hopefully it's just a bad solder joint also since these have been discontinued from the
aftermarket producers also.....if not, i'll be eBaying!

Hello all,

back to the forum after a very long time. I am having a similar problem with my newly purchased 2007 Explorer XLT. There is no wiper movement on the first intermittent position and is like all the intermittent positions moved one notch up. The last intermittent is where the Low is supposed to be. After that it goes all the way up to High.

Will check the relays however any ideas are very welcome.

Carlos Cordova
FLL

I've had a problem where my wipers does not work at all. If I shut the motor off and restart then it works like normal has done this only a couple times. Is this a sign that my module is starting to go bad?

More likely the multi function switch

I'd agree with FR-425. My '93 E-250 has had a wiper problem with the switch since day one. I just turn it to position 3 to start it, then back to 1 or 2. (The original dealer would have repaired it under warranty but I moved and didn't trust the dealer closest to me to do repairs - then or now.)

Sorry to revive this old thread, but would this fix apply to the rear wiper not working? When i try to help it, it doesnt budge. The rear washer is also not working

Sorry to revive this old thread, but would this fix apply to the rear wiper not working? When i try to help it, it doesnt budge. The rear washer is also not working

Maybe see if a fuse is blown?

Back