Daylight savings and GPS sync | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Daylight savings and GPS sync

Border_Explorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT 4WD
Yesterday when I got in my X, I noticed the time was not automatically adjusted for daylight savings time. I thought this was odd since I knew it was set to automatically handle this. I went into the menu to adjust the clock back and in order to set the clock back the GPS Sync had to be turned off. If I turned the GPS sync back on it would display the wrong time, so I left if off GPS sync and I set the time correctly. I have not checked it today, but anyone else have this problem? Perhaps there is some lag in the GPS system to update for daylight savings, but I think its lame that it did not work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not checked it today, but anyone else have this problem? Perhaps there is some lag in the GPS system to update for daylight savings, but I think its lame that it did not work.

There is a switch in the same place where you set the time that says "Enablle Daylight Savings Time" or something to that effect....turn that off and you will be in Standard time...then all will be well.

There is a switch in the same place where you set the time that says "Enablle Daylight Savings Time" or something to that effect....turn that off and you will be in Standard time...then all will be well.

I experienced the same thing. Whats even more odd was i had a Destination set and the Time of Arrival was now off by one hour.

I guess what Gdecamp said makes sense although i would think a "GPS Synced" time would ignore that and just give the time the GPS system/satellite knows.

It is my understanding that with "DST" setting, one would not have to turn on and turn off when time changes, or manually change time. The Sync software should know when to make change. I live in a state that observes DST

It is my understanding that with "DST" setting, one would not have to turn on and turn off when time changes, or manually change time. The Sync software should know when to make change. I live in a state that observes DST

totally agree. Or at least all my electronics with this feature would automatically adjust my time. I guess Sync is so special that we have to manually do this. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I doubled checked this when the wife got home. The only way to get the correct time is to turn DST off, GPS time sync does not seem to do anything, unless the GPS system cannot handle DST which I don't believe. The manual does state with GPS time sync that the system should automatically adjust to the current time(which I think should include DST). The manual does not address the DST button, which I suspect was added at some point to fix a bug(just a hunch). So at the end of the day, DST is not automatic and must be manually adjusted. Not a big deal, just an annoyance. Perhaps this will be fixed in the MFT rebuild... They should have an option to sync time via cell phone since these guys know how to handle DST.

Why would you think that the GPS would automatically adjust for DST? GPS runs off of GMT or Zulu time, i.e. international time. At least the sync system is smart enough to know which time zone you are in, but for it to automatically adjust for DST is a bit of a reach. Contrary to probably what is believed here, DST is not a standard. It is legislated. It could change tomorrow. That is why some states (Arizona and Indiana) don't follow the same DST rules everyone else does. It is much easier to have a button to turn it on to add an hour or turn it off to go back to standard time.

My other car (Honda Pilot) is smart enough to adjust for DST through the GPS system without having to turn DST on or off.

Experienced the same issue, had to change manually.

With DST off, which it was, my clock was off by one hour after the time change. When I turned DST on, it was off by two hours. Ended up just doing it manually.

My other car (Honda Pilot) is smart enough to adjust for DST through the GPS system without having to turn DST on or off.

Your pilot would also have needed to be updated when they changed the begin and end of DST a couple of years ago. Most in-car audio systems do not adjust automatically for DST as DST can change at any time. I've had various in-car entertainment systems over the years and all worked exactly as the explorer does, get time and zone from GPS, make user configure DST on/off.

unless the GPS system cannot handle DST which I don't believe. The manual does state with GPS time sync that the system should automatically adjust to the current time(which I think should include DST).

GPS Satellites don't know where you are... they only pass down the time in GMT, and the nav system itself must convert it to your local time zone. The map data gives the nav system the local time zone, but DST is not based on any algorithm, it's set by each state, and some states even have it divided (parts of AZ don't have DST, parts do). Since DST can change at any time the government wants to change it (as it did a couple of years back), Car manufacturers would be required to update firmware each time a new law is passed in ANY state. It's just beyond reasonable expectations. Every in-car entertainment system I've owned works as the Ford MFT does. It sets time and zone from GPS, and requires you to select ON/OFF for DST

I had a 2006 Acura before moving to the Explorer. I remember distinctly that Acura provided not only updates for MAPS but also the program. When the Gov't changed from the last Sunday of the month to a more specific date, Acura had an update that allowed you to select the new DST time frame. Technology is here today. Ford sends fixes and updates for MFT users. It does not take much logic to add the feature. If Acura can do it so can Ford. But, not a big deal for me at the end of the day I love my Explorer.

Hi, Everyone!

Just to confirm, you will have to go into your clock settings and turn Daylight Saving Time OFF. Here are the steps:

MENU > CLOCK > DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME > OFF

Hope this helps!

Rebecca

I had a 2006 Acura before moving to the Explorer. I remember distinctly that Acura provided not only updates for MAPS but also the program. When the Gov't changed from the last Sunday of the month to a more specific date, Acura had an update that allowed you to select the new DST time frame. Technology is here today. Ford sends fixes and updates for MFT users. It does not take much logic to add the feature. If Acura can do it so can Ford. But, not a big deal for me at the end of the day I love my Explorer.

Read the article I posted above... (Acura and Honda are the same company)... When they first released the update it was only for newer vehicles, but their older out of warranty vehicles were unable to be updated at the time. And those that could be updated still had to buy the map update (at 80 - 100$).. It's just impractical.

Once cars are internet connected, then these kind of settings could be done over the air. But for now I'm content with being able to manually adjust DST if the rules decide to change. Without having to wait for a fix from the manufacturer, or paying for a new map update.

Daylight savings time?

Have a 2016 explorer xlt with mft. When we switched to daylight savings time this past weekend the car didn't switch automatically. I can't find a settin for it anywhere. Am I missing something or is this 45000 computer unable to check a date? When I reset to gps time it switches the clock back an hour.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have a 2016 explorer xlt with mft. When we switched to daylight savings time this past weekend the car didn't switch automatically. I can't find a settin for it anywhere. Am I missing something or is this 45000 computer unable to check a date? When I reset to gps time it switches the clock back an hour.

Well, it took longer than I expected for somebody to say something.

It doesn't switch. Press the time at top of screen, hit plus, done. The GPS doesn't recognize DST. SYNC 3 doesn't change either. I'm sure there's a thread pages long about this somewhere on here.

Back